• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Suddenly very nauseous and dizzy...

SarahBear

About half an hour ago, I became very, very hot. A few minutes later, I became nauseous and dizzy and later developed a headache. For a while it seemed like my vision and hearing were acting strange, but I can't pinpoint what exactly was strange about it. All in all, I kind of felt like I was going to pass out.

The feeling has mostly passed now, but slight dizziness, nausea, and a very minor headache remain.

Also might be worth mentioning that I had blood tests and a pill cam done in August that showed no evidence of Crohn's - so it's supposedly inactive at the moment.

Any idea what this might be? Google suggests all things from heart attack to cocaine withdrawal. I don't think it's either of those things!

Last edited:
There is some bug going around. I got something similiar to that. But mine started with a headache that stayed for like two weeks. Then also my eyesight was kind of off, I mean I see fine, but it was just off, not right. Then my nose started getting this burning sensation and congested. Finally after three weeks I did get a full blown cold symptoms. I also got hot and cold feelings too ( and night sweats but feeling chilled at the same time). Really weird.

Not sure if this is what you got going on, but there is crap going around out there due to all the weird weather... I hope you feel better soon...

SarahBear

Thanks for your response!

I'll watch out for other signs of a virus, but as it came on very suddenly and went away within a few hours, I don't really think that's what it is. It absolutely could be, though. Those obnoxious things are different every time they come around!

I'm kind of leaning towards dehydration, a vitamin deficiency, or just being tired. Maybe even a combination of all of those. :(

SarahBear

I saw that possibility when I googled, also! It wasn't very severe though, just mild. Would a mild headache with those symptoms still be classified as a migraine?

I guess I would maybe have your doctor check it out if it keeps up. At least he/she can do some blood work.

My husband suffers Migraines and they are bad. I mean he is running for the excedrin/caffeine pills when he feels one coming on. Everyone I know who has migraines, they are usually really painful, and you can even get bad nausea from them. I have had a couple migraines and they were always bad, where I needed to sit in a real quiet place and not move. What I would do was get an ice pack and hold it to my head. That would help. I mean even when I get a milder headache I do the ice pack and it helps some, so you could try that..

Your sinuses can cause headaches too. How do you feel sinus wise?? Are you sore above your eyes if you press there or below your eyes, where your cheek bones are?? Usually you will feel soreness there if there is sinus pressure. That can also cause a mild headache and dizziness.

Sorry you are feeling bad, It sucks to not feel good, I know. I hope it is a fluke thing and goes away just like it came... If not, maybe just see your doc to make sure everything is ok..

Funny you should mentioned that, I has similar headache. came out of the blue a few weeks, not head banging on the wall kinda stuff but enough to drive me nuts because nothing seemed to get rid of it, I called GI and asked for codeine & paracetamol tablets as paracetamol wasn't shifting it on it's own and they said no they didn't approve of codeine and if i really wanted it then go to my GP, I called my GP and asked but he said he wouldn't give it unless I came to see him first, I couldn't get to the doctor on my own with two small children feeling that way and he wouldn't make house call so to make my long story boring LOL. I had it two weeks and it finally gave itself up but a bang so to speak, very high temp, nausea while on the toilet and then 1 hour later I was tired but back almost to normal. I hope it resolves itself but if not then get someone to take you to the doctor if you can. It's not nice having crohn's even if it is behaving itself but when you add other pains it just plain sucks.
Take care of yourself honey
Gwen xxx

Migraines can vary quite a bit. The ones I (rarely) get are like Ihurt's - I have to lay still and have no noise or light. If I move my eyes, that's the worst! Now my hubby gets them more frequently and is on meds for them, but his are behind only his left eye and they are not anywhere near as bad as mine, though that is a complete assumption. He can still finish out his workday (spent on a computer) and drive home whether it is cloudy or bright sun. He also says his scalp tightens up on that side and gets itchy. Neither of us get any problem with our vision, but it is common to have that in a migraine. I get very nauseous and tired with mine as well and those two symptoms last for 2-3 days. Thankfully, I only average one a year!

SarahBear

Thanks, everyone!

It went away after a few hours and I feel fine now. If it happens again today (or anything unusual happens) I'll probably go to the doctor and have them check it out.

I'm sorry to hear about everyone's headaches! Headaches are the worst. I used to get migraines as a child (my vision is terrible and no one had noticed yet) and it was the absolute worst thing. You can't even do anything, and there's no way to make it stop.

Again, thank you all!! :)

I don't know much about migranes, but sometimes if get similar feeling of nausea, dizy and hot (did not get a headache) I think its caused of a drop in blood pressure. I have low blood pressure as it is and if it drops it really drains all the energy away for a while. Im actually not even sure its anything to do with blood pressure but so far its been the only thing I could think of causing it for me.

SarahBear

It happened again, at roughly the same time as yesterday. Still feeling it.

I'd leave and go to the doctor, but I have a test for one of my online classes. My boss has to proctor for me, so I have to do it immediately after work today. :(

Those are actually the symptoms I was having all the time before I was diagnosed. I had them several times a day and finally went to the dr and that's when I found out about the Crohns...but when my gut is acting up those are pretty much the symptoms I have every time. In my case it's my Crohns.

SarahBear

I figure it's related. At the moment, I'm thinking dehydration, fatigue, or vitamin deficiencies might have a hand in it. Stress is a possible factor, too. I'd really like to go to the doctor. If it happens again tomorrow, I definitely will.

I would if I were you too....I know those feelings and I hate it. It always manages to happen to me while I'm at work and I feel like I'm going to pass out or throw up and I get all sweaty and then it just stops and I'm like, "am I going crazy or what?". So frustrating!

I know it has been suggested already but get your sinus checked out, I had sinusitis of the mastoiditis a few months ago. I know this sounds strange but check behind your ears on the bone for any swelling, I didn't notice the swelling at first as it didn't hurt that was the only other sign I had apart from the headache. It can be serious if not treated.
But now that it has happened again a trip to the doctor is a must now.
Good Luck xxx

SarahBear

Thank you for the suggestion! I haven't noticed any sinus problems, but my throat was a little sore this morning (although that happens often). I don't feel any swelling, but I will have the doctor check on things. I will hopefully be able to go tomorrow. :)

SarahBear

Update:

Haven't been able to get to the doctor, but it's been happening every day. I called the gynecologist yesterday, because I'm starting to think it could be a result of endometriosis (which we think I have, haven't gone in to check yet). The doctor wasn't in and the office staff basically told me, "Just take the birth control for a few months." Hmm. This is interfering with my life - I've missed two and a half days of work this week, and homework assignments.

Today I woke up feeling extremely nauseous and dizzy, and with a bad headache. I took a Flintstones vitamin (which was red) to help in case of low iron. I stayed in bed for a couple hours, then started throwing up. It was bright red. I don't know if this is because of the vitamin (if so, then it multiplied itself by twenty in my stomach) or if its blood, or something else. I left a message with my GI's office. He isn't in, so the nurse called back and said she ordered blood work to check my blood count. I have to make my way down there now.

I feel better now. I started shaking badly after I threw up, but that and the dizziness and nausea calmed down enough for me to take a quick shower. It seems like they're starting to come back some now, though.

:(

Hmm, I am still wondering if this is all a bug coming all really slow. There is something going around. But it is good that your GI is getting your bloods to check. The red could be from the vitamin, but not sure. It would be the dye in it that would cause your puke to be red. I mean I know that it only takes a little dye to change the color of everything. But it is good that your doc is checking.. Also, sometimes when people throw up you can actually break a blood vessel in the esophagus and it could of bled a bit,especially if you threw up kind a hard.

Hope you feel better soon..

Hi Sarahbear,

Hope you're doing ok. I'm glad you're getting your bloodwork done.

I'm still undiagnosed, but going to Stanford for the pill cam in a couple of weeks. I've had headaches, nausea, dizziness, and spells of getting really hot for 2 months now. Been tested for everything under the sun and now I'm thinking if I do have Crohn's, that these other symptoms are somehow related. I've had some nutrients tested (B12, D, Magnesium, calcium) and was low on some before supplementation but now everything is at a good level on blood tests, but symptoms aren't gone. I also have feelings of peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet. I do notice though that when I eat trigger foods, like sugar, chocolate, wheat, and processed foods, the symptoms get worse.

But maybe you just have a nasty virus. Will they be testing for vitamin/mineral deficiency with this bloodwork? Let us know how you're doing. Good luck. :)

Ask to be checked for a urinary tract infection or even dehydration? you couldn't go on long like that, your body is going through enough already.
Thinking of you. xxx

SarahBear

Thanks for your responses!

Ihurt, you're probably right - the dye in the vitamin could have done it, but since the vitamins aren't actually very bright themselves and it was a lot of bright red, I'm still not sure what I even think it was.

ginnyrdhap, I'm sorry to hear all that! I'm thinking mine is almost definitely caused by endometriosis (which I don't know for sure that I have, but this makes me think so even more than before - and it's really common, and even more so in women with Crohn's). Since the symptoms in general are very similar, it can be hard to tell them apart. Have you looked up any other conditions with similar symptoms? There could be a few things going on.

Gwen pippy, why do you suggest a UTI? I'll look into it! I'm usually fairly prone to them anyway. Thanks!

Hey Sarahbear,

I never thought about the UTI thing. But your symptoms really dont fit a UTI though. I know I am really prone to UTI's. The symptoms of UTI for me are bad bladder pain and irritation and having to pee all the time. I know everyone is different though. Now you could have vomiting if you had a UTI go to your kidneys. But you would also have pain in your back where your kidneys are. It would be painful. But it is easy to rule out, just have your doc do a urine culture on your urine to see..

I sure hope you start feeling better soon. Could still be a virus I guess. Have you thrown up anymore??

SarahBear

I haven't thrown up again, and I feel better today. Since it kind of came and went with my cycle, I'm still leaning towards endometriosis, but I'll have to talk with my doctors. I'm supposed to call for the results of my blood work (she said call the next day, but I'm not sure if they're even there today) which I will do in a little bit.

A UTI is possible. I do get them fairly frequently, but usually my only symptom is urgency. I have been having lower back pain fairly constantly for the past few months, which would be about when the endometriosis symptoms started, so it could be that. Or it could all be Crohn's just popping in to say hello. :/

Yeah, it could be the endo. One of my friends has endo and hers was bad. She use to vomit during her period. She had a lot of pain. Hers was so bad she would literally have to stay in the bathtub for hours at a time in the warm water, it was the only thing that helped her.

I also was told I had endo by my past gyne. She retired though. I have not had a lap either to confirm it. I did not want to go that route as I am not a believer in having surgery unless it is absolutely needed. Are you on BC pills? I cannot take them due to the risk of blood clots, but I know they do help people.My friend is on them and they really help her. She said she would die without them. My sister in law also has endo, she has been on BC pills for years and it keeps her endo in control. Thats just a thought.

It really sucks not knowing. I am sorry you are going through all this. Hopefully they can figure this out and see what is causing you issues... Hang in there..

I haven't thrown up again, and I feel better today. Since it kind of came and went with my cycle, I'm still leaning towards endometriosis, but I'll have to talk with my doctors. I'm supposed to call for the results of my blood work (she said call the next day, but I'm not sure if they're even there today) which I will do in a little bit.

A UTI is possible. I do get them fairly frequently, but usually my only symptom is urgency. I have been having lower back pain fairly constantly for the past few months, which would be about when the endometriosis symptoms started, so it could be that. Or it could all be Crohn's just popping in to say hello. :/

SarahBear

I just started BC again, actually. The doctor wants me to see if it helps before doing the surgery, but I kind of feel like I need to have it done anyway. Since my Crohn's is apparently inactive, I have no idea why I feel awful all the time. This would explain it, and if it's not that, then my doctors and I need to know to look for something else.

Yeah I agree. If you are suffering you do need to look into it and find out what it is.. I hope the BC pills will kick in for you. If not, then maybe your gyne will have other options. I know there is lupron, but that one does have some side effects. Hang in there, I hope you get some relief soon...

I believe there are some endometriosis support forums you can join, maybe even if it is just to find out some information. Hope you find out what is going on so you can get help and start to feel better...