• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sugar Alcohols

Lynda Lynda

I am doing some research this afternoon regarding sugar alcohols. Listed are some of the things I wrote down from an article I read this afternoon.

[ I have been avoiding sugar alcohols for several years after a bad experience with diarrhea after consuming them. I will not purchase any food that contain sugar alcohols. ]

Here is a list of the sugar alcohols from the article.
Sorbitol, Maltitol, Mannitol, Isomalt, Lactitol, Xylitol, Eryrhirtol and Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysates.

Sorbitol : May cause significant digestive distress.

Xylitol : Some digestive symptoms when consumed in large amounts.

Erythritol: Absorbed into the bloodstream and then excreted unchanged in the urine.

Also listed....Sugar alcohols may feed the friendly bacteria in the gut, having a prebiotic effect like dietary fiber.

So, what are your thoughts and opinions and advice and recommendation on sugar alcohols ?

[ This week I will go through this Sub Forum and start reading about "diet" because what I eat now is junk and no good. ]

Take Care.
Lynda. 🌻