• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sugar causing gas

Recently I have noticed that whenever I consume anything that has sugar in it, I get bloated like never before and trapped gas starts moving all around my tummy. Even fruits and honey cause gases. :/

Does anyone else get that? What could the problem be?

This is why I don't eat sugar! Sugar promotes the growth of bad bacteria in the gut and thereby hampers the growth of beneficial species. Diets high in sugar, refined carbohydrates and processed foods basically provide perfect conditions for the bad bacteria to thrive.
Sugar also feeds yeast, an overgrowth of which can cause candida.

This is why I don't eat sugar! Sugar promotes the growth of bad bacteria in the gut and thereby hampers the growth of beneficial species. Diets high in sugar, refined carbohydrates and processed foods basically provide perfect conditions for the bad bacteria to thrive.
Sugar also feeds yeast, an overgrowth of which can cause candida.
My stomach can barely tolerate anything right now, so I'm not eating any type of processed foods and I rarely eat refined carbs. I'm basing my diet mostly on fruits, and I have been doing well until recently when I noticed that even fruits promote those symptoms.

I have asked my doctor about the possibility of this being candidiasis, and he asked me to wipe that notion away as it "was not possible".

I would love to see what kind of diet you're following.

I eat very little fruit as that is also high in sugar. Berries are okay in small quantities, and I do have some stewed apple as it is good for my tummy.
I eat a lot of vegetables, protein (eggs, chicken, salmon, prawns,) I make my own bread and the odd sugar free treats. I also make green smoothies which are really great for getting vitamins in.

I eat very little fruit as that is also high in sugar. Berries are okay in small quantities, and I do have some stewed apple as it is good for my tummy.
I eat a lot of vegetables, protein (eggs, chicken, salmon, prawns,) I make my own bread and the odd sugar free treats. I also make green smoothies which are really great for getting vitamins in.
Vegetables mostly irritate my stomach. :/

I'll eliminate sugar from my diet and will try to lower my intake of fruits.

Thanks for the info!

Do you cook your vegetables really well? Things like mashed carrot or sweet potato are quite gentle.

No problem, let me know if you'd like any more info. Maybe give it a go for a week or so and see how you get on. Keep a food diary so you can keep track of what you're eating and when you feel unwell.

Personally I'm positive that my diet has kept me in remission and medication free for the past couple of years. I do also eat a lot of nuts and seeds, but I know that they wouldn't agree with many people (I couldn't tolerate them for a long time either!!)

What fruits are you eating? Apples can cause me bloating, pain and at times diarrhea. The fiber in them seems to be the issue.

I can mostly just est bananas when it comes to fruits. Besides my GI and my GP, I go to Roselle Center for Healing. I did a food diary for one of the doctors and he frowned on the organic pop tarts because of the sugar.

Do you cook your vegetables really well? Things like mashed carrot or sweet potato are quite gentle.

No problem, let me know if you'd like any more info. Maybe give it a go for a week or so and see how you get on. Keep a food diary so you can keep track of what you're eating and when you feel unwell.

Personally I'm positive that my diet has kept me in remission and medication free for the past couple of years. I do also eat a lot of nuts and seeds, but I know that they wouldn't agree with many people (I couldn't tolerate them for a long time either!!)
I thought you were talking about raw vegetables. I don't have trouble with cooked vegetables, except for green peas; those never go well with my stomach.

Diet does play a great role in the symptoms; I'm currently in an active flare, and I had based my diet mostly on raw fruits to be able to keep up, but now I have to find another way to adapt until this goes away.

I have not tried eating nuts, because of what most people say. I'm way too afraid to give it a go myself.

What fruits are you eating? Apples can cause me bloating, pain and at times diarrhea. The fiber in them seems to be the issue.
I eat bananas, apples and grapes; they all cause gases, but no constipation or diarrhea. When I drink my morning hibiscus tea, the one spoon of sugar added to it causes me gas, so I'm pretty sure it has to do with sugar.

I can mostly just est bananas when it comes to fruits. Besides my GI and my GP, I go to Roselle Center for Healing. I did a food diary for one of the doctors and he frowned on the organic pop tarts because of the sugar.
I can cut down or eliminate sugar, but the fact that I can't eat fruit is going to make me shift my whole diet plan. As I had fruits in all my daily meals as a main ingredient.

What else is in your diet? I don't see mention of protein at all.

I agree with the others regarding sugars though. In high quantities they do cause a lot of gas generation for me. It was interesting though in my trip down south that I just came back from - carbonated beverages didn't affect me negatively at all but mango juice did.

What else is in your diet? I don't see mention of protein at all.

I agree with the others regarding sugars though. In high quantities they do cause a lot of gas generation for me. It was interesting though in my trip down south that I just came back from - carbonated beverages didn't affect me negatively at all but mango juice did.
For proteins I depend mostly on eggs and chicken, since I'm not a big fan of meat and I'm seafood intolerant. Hopefully neither chicken nor eggs cause me any distress when eaten.

Currently, the smallest amount causes me great gas. I'm going to tell my doctor about it again, because it's really hard to totally avoid any sugar intake. And I'm already underweight, and was trying my best to gain some extra kilos, but it won't be possible this way.

Also over here they don't sell bean-o, but I'll look for an alternative. Thanks a lot for mentioning it. :)