• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Suggestions for healthy eating when you have a stricture

I know juicing and smoothies and soups are all on the list of foods that can be healthy, low calorie and low residue but I am struggling with finding snacks (mostly) and easy to prep foods (that actually require chewing....how many smoothies can a person drink, really?)
I have a good size stricture in my t.i. and I am really wanting to boost my good eating habits.
I've cut WAAAYYYY back on my sugar intake (total addict here) in hopes that it will help with my ridiculous bloating, tired of always looking like I'm 7 months pregnant.
I'm just very frustrated as I can't have raw, nuts, fiber etc.
What do you guys do?
Specifically for sack lunches and grab and go snacks?

nogutsnoglory

Jello, eggs, cereal, white bread and pasta, pretzels, pain chicken, turkey or fish diced finely. I'm not sure how much you can tolerate but go slow and chew thoroughly.

sushi and sandwiches were my goto foods until I couldn't eat them anymore either. Then I had the strictures cut out:tongue:
I must say that was very effective, I can eat so much more now!

Stews, soups, sandwiches, Graham crackers, canned fruits and cheese (not bleu cheese) work for me. Chew really thoroughly though. I have found that Natures Own honey wheat bread does not cause so much bloating for me. Maybe it could work for you.

I've never had a stricture, but spent a long time on a very low fibre diet due to an ileostomy that blocked at the slightest hint of fibre in my diet, so if your only criterion is low fibre, these suggestions may help, if a structure involves avoiding anything besides fibre, double check before trying any. Plus they're all healthy and easy:

Bananas
Avocados
Tinned fruit (any except pineapple)
Tins of tomato pasta, etc. http://www.heinz.co.uk/Products/Pasta they're not just for kids!
Baby food fruit pots and pouches e.g. http://www.hipp.co.uk/products/our-baby-food-and-drinks/fruit-pots or http://www.hipp.co.uk/ProductList.a...Type=65&MilksOnly=false&maxRows=10&startRow=0 These are for kids but they're healthy, involve no preparation and are easy to digest. Lots of baby food is, but it's usually only the fruit that is palatable to adults.
Smooth peanut butter and other smooth nut and seed butters, they're high calorie though
Low fibre crackers and cheese - if you want low calorie, try cottage cheese or a low fat cheese spread like the Philadelphia low calorie versions
Or crackers with chicken or turkey slices, or with tinned fish (check for bones!) or pate (make sure it's a smooth pate)

sushi and sandwiches were my goto foods until I couldn't eat them anymore either. Then I had the strictures cut out:tongue:
I must say that was very effective, I can eat so much more now!
Same here. Sushi is still a guilty pleasure, but I don't think I'll give sushi up anytime soon.

Lynda Lynda

I've never had a stricture but my "foods I am able to eat" list is getting shorter and shorter. I am trying a liquid / soft foods diet right now......yawn.....boring. At least I will lose some weight.