• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Suggestions for relief from fissure pain?

I currently am in a flare and developed an awfully painful fissure. I am getting my bowel movements under control with prednisone and am down to about 5-6 per day, but this fissure has made everyone of them excrutiating. I have nitroglycerin topical from my doc. I do sitz baths as I can (but I work, so this is the worst time) and I also use calmoseptine. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do to make a fissure heal faster or at least to provide temporary relief? Thanks for your help!

Hi Cookie. First of all, i am sorry you are in a flare. I am no expert but I am going to give you my opinion. If you developed a fissure your crohn's is not under control even if your bowel movements are less often, having a fissure is consider perianal crohns. I believe the only way to heal a fissure is with biologics. I may be wrong. How is your sed rate? My daughter was feeling good, no signs of crohn's, no symptoms or nothing. She developed a fissure, so she was put on remicade because of that. Fissure gone. Remember crohn's can be silent. Call your Doctor. I used aloe vera (the real plant) on my daughter's bottom and it gave her relief from redness, inflammation and pain. Just my opinion. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the advice araceli. I have been on remicade in the past for chronic recto vaginal fistulas, so yes, perianal involvement is nothing new to me. I got off of my meds while trying to get pregnant and had everything under control for 3+ years, so my current flare is recent. I will likely move back onto a biologic, but we wanted to try and see if we could get it under control without one first since I did so well that way for so long. As for my sed rate, it was high prior to my last colonoscopy, which confirmed my flare, but that was a month ago and I have not had blood work done since then. My follow up is in 2 weeks.

As for your daughter's fissure, did she have a lot of bleeding and mucous? I have both, and also drainage of stool, which made me think I had another fistula, but the doctor did an exam and said it was most likely a fissure and that drainage of stool was still common in people with Crohn's. The pain from this sucker is far worse than any I had with fistulas and abscesses in the past. All of the drainage keeps the area moist and prevents healing. I think i will try your suggestion of aloe. thanks again for the advice.

The mucous coming from my rectum has turned thick and greenish. I am wondering if this is a sign of infection? I do not have a fever. I am worried because I am scheduled to leave for vacation tomorrow (week long camping trip, of all things). I was just at the doctor on Monday. Not sure what to do. It's 5 pm on Friday, so my doc is gone for the week anyway. I am kind of stressed about this trip now.

I have perianal disease also. The main challenge is to get the sphincter muscle spasms to settle down to heal fissures. I battled chronic fissures for 5 years and tried everything under the sun to get some sort of relief. Nefidipine was the only med that helped heal them up once. I took it orally but have read they now have a topically cream like the nitro. I tried nitro twice without success. Botox is another option if it becomes chronic. I had surgery to cut the sphincter muscle finally that helped immensely before I was diagnosed with Crohn's.

Some things I did:
-Take 2-3 sitz baths a day. I work so usually one in the morning and evening.
- Use hand shower to clean the area.
- Tucked 1/2 cotton ball - changing several times a day. This was suggested to me by my CRS. This helped a lot for some reason. Kept the drainage under control and provided pain relief(not sure why).
- Took a small amount of fiber to try to get formed stool. Runny stool would cause me a lot of grief.

The green discharge does sound concerning. Do they have an after hours number you can call and page a doctor on call?

I hope you get relief soon. Fissures are a living hell......