• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Suggestions on Meds for Crohns?

Well, what to say. I have been lurking on the forum for over a year now. On memorial day 2013 I went into the ER with right lower quadrant pain that was pretty severe. I was convinced I had appendicitis. They ran a CT scan and low and behold I had inflammation in my ileum.

Followed up with a GI and did a ton of testing. Colonoscopy showed ulcers in the ileum but my prometheus test came back negative for Crohns so the gent said I had IBS. I ended up moving not long after so found another (inept) GI who did another colonoscopy which of course showed issues in ileum but based on genetic blood test he too did not diagnose. I ended up going to the University of Colorado Hospital GI Clinic and after doing a specialized MRI which showed thickening in ileum and higher up in the intestines diagnosed me with Crohns (they don't even consider the promethean tests at UCD hospital because it is so inaccurate).

I was presented with a few different med options but I have been really reticent about going on immunosuppressants and my symptoms have been pretty mellow overall so I asked my new GI to give me 6 months to see what I could do...ie diet and herbs.

Well, since then (March) I have a host of issues crop up. I have found out that I have an ovarian cyst on the right side (near ileum as it turns out) and had a uterine polyp removed at the beginning of the month. Then I ended up in ER a few weeks back because I was having chest pain, palpitations, and dizziness...found low potassium (which is now up) and with most recent blood work I had high iron...

Long story short I am going to call GI on Monday and throw in the towel and get some meds going. I would love to hear any med suggestions based on the gynecological and heart issues. :confused2:

I should also not that all of this started a few months after I delivered my first baby and there is no known Crohns in my family history. I am hoping to have one more kiddo some day relatively soon. Here's to hoping!

Thanks so much for your thoughts - I have learned SOO much from reading posts these last many months.

Hi,

We were so reluctant to use the big meds too. We used Remicade for our daughter with some success. i have since heard that it works best with Imuran, but the risk goes up a bit. Immunosuppressants serve a purpose but my feeling is not for long term.

We have recently turned to a naturalpath who has helped our daughter tremendously. I think both type of meds serve a great purpose.

it sure sounds like you need to have lots of lab work to find out what vitamins you may be deficient in. inflammation can decrease the bodies ability to absorb much needed nutrients.....

I do have one question. did you see a naturalpath or herbalist?

I did see a naturopath briefly but she was pretty new to the field. What I probably need to do is see a naturopath who specializes in IBD related stuff.

Thanks for the words of wisdom - much appreciated!

Jozo:

I believe the anti-inflammation could be part of what is helping her too. it is very strict but since we could not check her for food allergies because of the meds she is on, it is good too eliminate anything that could be causing problems. It is all a learning process. I did not even thing that diet could be an issue. However, food allergies could cause lots of problems. My other daughter just found out she is extremely allergic to dairy (all dairy) and wheat gluten. That was a shocker!!!!

we did have to pay out of pocket for the food allergy test, but it was worth it.

We were very fortunate to find a naturalpath that knows her stuff. I believe it is a science that takes lots of practice and can be VERY affective.

best to you.