• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sulfasalazine experience

My GI just started me on yet another drug, Sulfasalazine, mainly for my joint pain issues. While my bowel problems seem to be under control, my joint are killing me. I seem to be having side effects from the drug - awful headaches, nausea, dizziness, tiredness (I suffer from fatigue so I really don't need anything to make me more tired). She said some people can't "tolerate" the drug. Wondering if anyone has had luck with this? Or anyone who has/had similar side-effects. I can’t decide if I should continue and deal with the side effects in the hopes that it helps my joint issues, or if I should just quit it. Thanks!

Beth

Astra

Hiya Beth

There are some of us that can't tolerate the sulfa in this med, Asacol or Pentasa, both 5ASAs from the same family contain mesalazine and are sulfa free.
See how you get on, you might be one who can't tolerate the sulpha, so ask for a switch
xxx

Hi Beth,

This is the first med that I had over 20 years ago. It put the Crohn's into remission and the only side effect that I recall is having bright orange pee. Stick with it a bit longer, but if it's really not working for you then speak to your GI.

All the best,

Mark

ameslouise

I was on sulfasalazine for years when I had UC. Never had a side effect that I could tell. But Joan could be right about the sulfa sensitivity or allergy so you probably want to get that checked out.

Good luck! Hope you feel better soon! - Amy

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I was on and off sulfasalazine for years and years.....at one point I switched to the enteric coated ones (MUCH easier to swallow!)....ugh...I sure don't miss those horse pills!

I don't recall any adverse reactions while on this either.....

I'm currently on this med started it just before Xmas after being dx with arthritis. So far haven't noticed any real side effects so far except for the bright orange pee!! I must admit I do experience fatigue but I think that is linked with the arthritis so can't really know if it's from the meds or disease. I was previously on salofalk to treat crohns but was changed to sulfa by the rheumy. Depending on how long you have been on the meds I would give it a bit longer otherwise speak to your doc and see what they say. Good luck!!

I want to try this drug. I can't stand Pentasa. It just doesn't seem to work but I was told the side effects of sulfasalazine are worse. Well, I'm willing to try just about anything in that group of meds. because my joints are killing me. My crohn's is o.k. though.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hiya Beth

There are some of us that can't tolerate the sulfa in this med, Asacol or Pentasa, both 5ASAs from the same family contain mesalazine and are sulfa free.
See how you get on, you might be one who can't tolerate the sulpha, so ask for a switch
xxx
You are correct!

My body couldn't tolerate the sulfa either and a lot of people can't and makes many much sicker. I was switched to Asacol and didn't have any side effects and felt much better. My advise would be to not stick it out any longer and to tell your GI that you'd like to try something else, perhaps Asacol.

Thing is that many insurance companies only pay for the sulfa drug cause its cheaper than the others and don't really care if it makes people sick. You have to get your doctors and pharmacists to push for the drug as the only way to help you to get the insurance companies to listen if this is your case. You may even need a TAR (Treatment Authorization Request) form filed for you (pharmacy does this). My GI and GP docs laugh when they hear the drug and say something like, "let me guess, it made you sick?"