• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sulfasalazine

I've been taking 2g/day of sulfasalazine after about a year of treatment failures and 3 batches of prednisolone within this year. I failed on pentasa originally as it gave me terrible headaches and sore throats, then I was told the only other option was azathioprine and I was seriously intolerant to that, so then I tried 6-MP and again surprise surprise I was intolerant to that. I was then given the option of humira, remicade or methotrexate, I wasn't keen on any of them, realistically I would've chosen MTX first because I seen it as the lesser powerful of the 3 drugs but due to not being able to drink alcohol on it I decided against it as alcohol doesn't affect my condition any worse than what it already is.

I then went seen my gastro and discussed further options with him, my dad who has a similar disease in the bowel as me was on sulfasalazine for 21 years with only small flares during this time period, I asked the gastro if I could try this and he agreed although he said he was sceptical whether it would work good as my condition is seen as moderate to severe, although more moderate probably. I have recently began this treatment and I already feel better than what I did. I really hope it is the medication working as I finally don't feel that horrible run down way that crohns/colitis makes you feel.

I have also began 2000mg L-glutamine per day in capsule form as I have heard nothing but praise about this supplement and its help for IBD.

Is anyone else on sulfasalazine alone and having good results?

Tony H

Sulfasasalazine has been fairly good for me for nearly 30 years , the last 3 years or so have not been so good , as I have had a lot of flares in the last few years .
I was able live a normal life most of the time .