• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sun exposure

Hey all!

I've been taking azathioprine for 6 months now and I am really starting to pick up and I've come on leaps and bounds so that's great.

I've booked a week's holiday in Majorca for the first week in May and I'm a bit worried about sun exposure. It's not something I've had to worry about through our glorious British winter, and I do use a factor 50 oil free sunscreen on my face anyway to try and keep my rosacea in check.

I'm torn between wanting to go out and enjoy the sun while I can, and hiding away in the hotel room the whole time. Obviously I'm not going to bake myself for hours on end as I'm incredibly fair skinned and I never tan, just burn!

Do any of you guys in warmer climes have any tips for me? I don't know if I will have an appointment come through to see the nurse or consultant before I go to ask them for any tips. I'm totally happy with the aza and I've had no ill effects whatsoever but I do want to be careful, but not let that hold me back either!

I'm guessing just the standard stay inside during hottest periods, wear a hat, stay covered up and use sunscreen are a given and are common sense anyway but are there any additional things I could/should be doing?

Thanks in advance!

Long sleeve SPF shirts are great. There are some that are quick drying you can wear with a bathing suit and others that are button down and more to wear with shorts or a skirt. Check out Lands End or Sierra Trading Post for some ideas. I typically burn so wear them because of my skin tone not medication, but I would think they would work anyway.

Have a great trip!

Long sleeve SPF shirts are great. There are some that are quick drying you can wear with a bathing suit and others that are button down and more to wear with shorts or a skirt. Check out Lands End or Sierra Trading Post for some ideas. I typically burn so wear them because of my skin tone not medication, but I would think they would work anyway.

Have a great trip!

Thanks, I've never heard of those! I'll look into it :)

Bufford

You will do fine just by applying sunblock and picking a shaded spot under a beach umbrella. No need to hide and cover in long clothes, just reduce time spent in direct full sun.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I agree with the others, just use common sense. The SPF shirts are great, my Mom uses them as she has a history of melanoma and needs to avoid getting burnt. These days you can get them in all kinds of styles too. Oh - they are often referred to as a 'rash guard' instead of a swim shirt....