• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Super exited about this new coloplast product!

In case you guys haven't heard, Coloplast will be coming out with a new wafer/pouch in the next few months called Sensura Mio.

To be honest, I'm REALLY excited about this, as it aims to tackle so many issues that we've all faced, like pouch ballooning (totally redesigned filter), adhering issues, and comfort.

http://www.coloplast.ca/en-ca/productscs/ostomy/sensuramioplenca/newmio/

I should be getting samples in May and I'll be sure to post a full review, but in case any of you guys wanted to try them for yourself, request samples from Coloplast and wait for them to arrive.

Anyone else excited about this?? :yoshijumpjoy:

I saw this and really wanted to try but think it said samples in the summer.
They should be out early May (at least in Canada, anyways). I spoke with a rep today and she's going to get me samples as soon as they are available. If you can request them now, you'll be one of the first to try them out.

It's not every day you see new ostomy products, but this seems like a bigger deal than most other new products.

Nyx

They actually had a Mio product out last year that I tried. Hated it...lol It was a one piece, non drainable pouch. I liked the flange part, was very flexible and thin, but a one piece that you can't drain?? I wasn't a fan of changing my bag every time I had a poop. Very inconvenient. This new one looks much better. I'll have to get on it and get some samples.

They actually had a Mio product out last year that I tried. Hated it...lol It was a one piece, non drainable pouch. I liked the flange part, was very flexible and thin, but a one piece that you can't drain?? I wasn't a fan of changing my bag every time I had a poop. Very inconvenient. This new one looks much better. I'll have to get on it and get some samples.
Yeah, the original Mio product was quite different. I consider the new Mio to be more of an improvement over the Assura/Sensura line, which I already like very much.

In order of importance to me:

1) better filter (no need for the Osto Ez-vent if these work for me).
2) rotating pouch (so I can wear my stealth belt).
3) better adhesive (not only more flexible, but it apparently sticks to "problem skin" like scars). This could eliminate the use of wafer extender tapes and could also help with the current problem I'm having, where the edge of the wafer "cuts" into the skin when I bend.

The fact that the material is apparently way more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing is a bonus.

These apparently won't cost more than the current Sensura products.

VO coloplast already has rotating pouches that fit in a stealth belt.
Yes, I already use the Sensura click, but if this new Mio product had only an adhesive coupling, then I'd likely pass on the idea, since I prefer to use my stealth belt. Fortunately, there is a similar rotate and lock coupling on these, which is why I'm counting the days until this product is available. Hoping that it works!

I'm really looking forward to the new Mio products, I did some reading up on them this past weekend.

Vegan, would you mind sharing more info about the setup you use for your stealth belt? I plan on ordering a stealth belt in the next few days and I hear the ability to rotate the bag makes it much easier to negotiate.

Vegan, would you mind sharing more info about the setup you use for your stealth belt? I plan on ordering a stealth belt in the next few days and I hear the ability to rotate the bag makes it much easier to negotiate.
I currently use the Coloplast Sensura Click Xpro wafer and the Sensura click pouches (either transparent or opaque... whatever is on hand). I use osto ez-vents on the pouches, but that's optional (but recommended if pouch gas is an issue).

The Sensura click locks into place, so there's no chance of it popping off unless you unlock it and remove it. It easily rotates, but you should make sure your pouch is empty before doing so - it only took one accident for me to realize this.

One thing to note, the Colplast Asura and Sensura click products are interchangeable. I've use Asura extended wear wafers with Sensura pouches and Asura pouches with the Sensura Xpro wafer.

Of course, depending on how much I like the new Sensura Mio, I may not be using this setup for long :ylol:

And if you're ordering a Stealth Belt, take note of whether you are underweight now or intend on gaining more weight in the near future. I ordered my belt when I was underweight and if I gain anymore, I'm going to have to get one size up. I hadn't anticipated this, but it's still quite comfortable.

Hope that helps.

I got the new Mio one-piece drainable in the mail on Saturday. I haven't tried it out yet, but they really are different from anything else I've seen before.

I got the new Mio one-piece drainable in the mail on Saturday. I haven't tried it out yet, but they really are different from anything else I've seen before.
I'll be meeting with coloplast tomorrow to arrange to try their two-piece!

I'm so looking forward to these. Let us know how the one-piece is.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I was supposed to have my surgery 2 weeks ago. However, they needed the slot for someone with cancer, as such they are trying to find me a new date and I'm "on call" in case there is a cancellation. It could be in June, it could be on Friday.
If I get my surgery before it arrives, it'll get bundled up with the leftover pastes & powders and I find it a new home.

I was supposed to have my surgery 2 weeks ago. However, they needed the slot for someone with cancer, as such they are trying to find me a new date and I'm "on call" in case there is a cancellation. It could be in June, it could be on Friday.
If I get my surgery before it arrives, it'll get bundled up with the leftover pastes & powders and I find it a new home.
Good luck... whenever it happens :)

I met with some reps from Coloplast during an "ostomy day" event at a local medical supply store. The new Sensura Mio line looks fantastic. So many well thought of features!

I'll be providing them with feedback through an ET nurse and plan on having a full (very thorough) review done by the beginning of May (when they officially launch). I'll hopefully start using this product next week.

nogutsnoglory

I am gonna definitely call and ask for a sample. I am content with my arrangement but still have issues so it would be nice to find something better.

Nyx

I met with some reps from Coloplast during an "ostomy day" event at a local medical supply store. The new Sensura Mio line looks fantastic. So many well thought of features!

I'll be providing them with feedback through an ET nurse and plan on having a full (very thorough) review done by the beginning of May (when they officially launch). I'll hopefully start using this product next week.
Are you part of Ostomy Toronto? I saw a post about it on Facebook today, and everyone had good things to say about the samples they saw at the meeting tonight.

Are you part of Ostomy Toronto? I saw a post about it on Facebook today, and everyone had good things to say about the samples they saw at the meeting tonight.
No, I'm not part of Ostomy Toronto (yet, anyways). I did meet Jason and a few other people from the group today. Great bunch of people.

So I received some one-piece samples yesterday and I put one on right away. This is an extremely well thought out product - so many little things you discover and go "wow, great idea".

I do want the two-piece system, but the one-piece has been good so far... we'll see what kind of wear time I get with them.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I always had a long wear time with Coloplast, they'd easily go a week without failing if I could get them to attach properly. The problem I had was always with the application, the rubbery plate was generally always too stiff to conform to my body, so they would always bunch and fold.
I hope it arrives before surgery not that'll have any invested interest in the future, but after having spent a few years with this thing, I'll be disappointed if I don't get to try it.

I always had a long wear time with Coloplast, they'd easily go a week without failing if I could get them to attach properly. The problem I had was always with the application, the rubbery plate was generally always too stiff to conform to my body, so they would always bunch and fold.
I hope it arrives before surgery not that'll have any invested interest in the future, but after having spent a few years with this thing, I'll be disappointed if I don't get to try it.
Yes, the stiff baseplate is an issue for me too and I've had to put Opsite Flexifix tape down UNDER the bottom of my regular wafer or else it would start cutting the skin.

These new Sensura Mio's are very flexible and conform nicely to curves. Feels way more comfortable than the Sensura Xpro or Assura wafers.

I was getting 5+ day wear with either Xpro or Asura wafers,but they've gone down to 3 days max over the past few months. If I can get at least 3 days with these, then I'll be quite happy.

Right now, I have doubts about how well these new wafers will stand up to getting wet (i.e shower), so I may continue to cover it during showers until I know how well it holds without the extra variable of water.

One really cool thing they've added to these is that you can fold in the outlet the usual way at the bottom OR you can velcro it to the middle of the pouch so it's more compact (i.e. for sexy time, driving, etc.).

nogutsnoglory

I'm really eager to hear about the filter and whether it's good for eliminating gas. I got my one piece samples but I'm eager to try the two piece. I feel like I can never cut the one piece to fit normally since my stoma is a weird shape and angle.

I'm really eager to hear about the filter and whether it's good for eliminating gas. I got my one piece samples but I'm eager to try the two piece. I feel like I can never cut the one piece to fit normally since my stoma is a weird shape and angle.
For what it's worth, I had no ballooning last night at all - it was quite a refreshing thing to wake up to! We'll see how many days I can get before it clogs - my output is thick, so that could make a big difference. Perhaps I'll sacrifice one pouch and fill it with liquid for the sake of science :ylol2:

nogutsnoglory

I notice the original advertisement mentioned the special filter and gas fighting powers but now it's just about the material on the bag and the better mold to the body that is the big sell. Anyways, I just put my sample on. I didn't feel too secure so I put my extender ring to protect the barrier. I have a feeling I may wake up in poo. Interesting product but I'll need to test it with the 2 piece before switching over.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I got my dates wrong, Tuesday is minimal eating. Wednesday is the take down. Either way, Saturday starts 3 days of terrible eating which will might undo the 2 weeks of no carb/low cal/intermittent fasting.

I got my dates wrong, Tuesday is minimal eating. Wednesday is the take down. Either way, Saturday starts 3 days of terrible eating which will might undo the 2 weeks of no carb/low cal/intermittent fasting.
Prep is always the worst. I hope it's easy for you and the take down is a success!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I allegedly can eat until midnight before, but the time it takes food to pass through me is a long period 8+ hours.

But to the topic at hand. It looks like a beautiful product. I'm wearing a two piece Coloplast now, but because of my hernia, I've never felt super comfortable because of the rigidity of the baseplate. I've always felt the need to use additional tape on it.

I'm wearing a two piece Coloplast now, but because of my hernia, I've never felt super comfortable because of the rigidity of the baseplate. I've always felt the need to use additional tape on it.
The stiff plastic used on other Sensura/Assura products have always caused me some grief (as you can see in one of the photo's in my review). This product has allowed my skin to heal without ANY extra fuss - no tapes, no wipes, no rings. It's advancements like this that makes having an ostomy unnoticeable.

This new Mio will work wonders for hernias. I'd love to hear from others who've had trouble fitting their previous appliance and have switched to this.

I tried that one-piece MIO few weeks ago. I love it! Only proplem for me is that there isn't any convex for my flat stoma so that's why it wasn't perfect for me. But when i get my permanent stoma i def start using these! I got samples for two-piece MIO Flex, haven't try that yet but that wafer feels so nice and smooth that i know i am going to love it! I now use Eakin Pelican bags, one piece, with soft convex. I love there but i really need two-piece system.

thankyou for letting us know im ordering my samples now :) the thing that appeals the most is the flexibility, I use the sensura 1 piece, I find that when sitting down for long periods of time the bag can bend (where my tummy rolls are) and starts peeling there on both sides, I have to use tape to keep it on for longer than a day. hopefully this solves that problem.

thankyou for letting us know im ordering my samples now :) the thing that appeals the most is the flexibility, I use the sensura 1 piece, I find that when sitting down for long periods of time the bag can bend (where my tummy rolls are) and starts peeling there on both sides, I have to use tape to keep it on for longer than a day. hopefully this solves that problem.
Most likely. When i began testing, I wanted to see how well the wafer would hold without using any tapes or barrier wipes and even now, over a month since I started using it, I haven't used any tapes. I hope it works well for you too :)

And if your current sensura product had been irritating your skin along the edges of the wafer, the new Mio should eliminate those problems.

I wonder how this would work with my stealth belt since it was sized for a 1 3/4" flange from Hollister. Hmm.

Please forgive any typos, posting from Tapatalk for iOS.

Check out my blog on my journey with crohns! http://blastoffcrohns.blogspot.com/?m=1
Don't consider this product until the two piece is out, if you need it to work with the stealth belt, then see which size would best fit your stealth belt. When I get samples of the two piece, I'll make note of how it fits my own stealthbelt. The belt tabs on the two piece is different from the one's on the current sensura click line, but I don't know how it affects the belt.

sounds amazing my skin is red raw under the wafer, ive super sensitive skin and tried all sprays/ powders and different bags cause they told me I could be allergic to the ones I wear.

sounds amazing my skin is red raw under the wafer, ive super sensitive skin and tried all sprays/ powders and different bags cause they told me I could be allergic to the ones I wear.
Did you see the photo's of my skin in the review? It's gotten even better since I took that photo. :)

It's hard to believe they won't make them available in convex eventually.
If you think about the selling feature of this product, which is the super-flexible wafer, it's hard to imagine that they'll add convexity to it. The previous mio line, which is several years old, doesn't offer a convex wafer.

It'd be nice to see a hybrid version, maybe with a more rigid inner circle (where they can add convexity) and a soft, flexible outer circle.

I just got my mio sample in the mail today! I'm so excited to try it. I currently use the coloplast sensura one piece and I love them so I'm sure i'll like these as well. The only thing that's causing me concern is that I use convex right now. Has anyone who uses convex tried these yet? My stoma isn't flat but I found the convex got rid of the few leaks I was having.

24 hrs in and so far so good. I think I could love these bags if it weren't for the filter. I don't like all the layers of plastic and what not adding bulk and I think causing some pan caking. Anyone know if there is a plan to release a no filter option? I think I'd like that much better.
I like the fabric, seems to dry quickly. I like the size and shape. I like the little Window in the front that came in handy when placing the bag properly. The wafer is comfortable and seems to have held up well to my shower with no extra tape required.
I usually get 4-5 days wear time out of my usual bags so if I get 4 out of this one i'll be happy with that. Just not loving the filter.

24 hrs in and so far so good. I think I could love these bags if it weren't for the filter. I don't like all the layers of plastic and what not adding bulk and I think causing some pan caking. Anyone know if there is a plan to release a no filter option? I think I'd like that much better.
There will be a filterless model. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one experiencing pancaking because of that filter.

4-5days????thats amazing I'm struggling to keep mine on for 24 hours at the mo just running out of different bags to try!

I called and asked coloplast and at this time only the clear bags are filter less. That sort of defeats some of the purpose of switching for me. I really like that this bag is covered but has the Window you can look through. I'm wondering if the extra layer could be cut out some how. I may experiment and sacrifice one of my sample bags. Somehow in my sleep last night I managed to fold the filter ring up and so now it's doubled and bunched up even more at the top of the bag. I don't know if that will make sense unless you've seen the filter in person. Or even if it will make sense if you have. But it happened somehow.

@Maimmie

I've dissected one of the one-piece pouches and the filter could be removed, but likely not unless you have a one piece as you'd need to cut it out from the back and there's just not enough room when working with the small opening that you've cut for your stoma to fit through.

I haven't had the filter fold over as you describe and I've worn at least 12 of these one-pieces.

Yes I came to the same conclusion about the filter. It could be removed if I could get to it but with a one piece thats pretty impossible.
I have no idea how I've accomplished the fold over. Just a fluke i'll assume.
I worry about the pan caking causing a leak especially considering I usually use convex. Everything still feels fine. No itching to indicate the start of a leak so maybe if I could just relax about that I could get used to the filter.
I can really see the benefits of the new flange. I didn't even notice my skin was irritated from the hard edge of the other one until I put this one on. I can now see a red tender line where the other flange was sitting.

I can really see the benefits of the new flange. I didn't even notice my skin was irritated from the hard edge of the other one until I put this one on. I can now see a red tender line where the other flange was sitting.
Yes, for me the difference was quite dramatic because I had been battling with skin irritation on my previous flanges prior to using the Mio.

There will be a large variety of Mio's in the next few months - the two piece is really nice and I can't wait to try it out. If you're use to the Sensura Click, the new Mio two piece has a much better locking mechanism.

Filter has unfolded itself in as much of a mystery way as it folded to begin with. Its slightly more comfortable now.

I tape over it anyway. I've always found filters to contribute to pan caking issues. I maybe should have given it a shot before taping it up.

Night time blow out :(
My first ever night time blow out. I think im going back to my faithful sensura one piece convex for now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Waking up in a puddle is less then fun.

Night time blow out :(
My first ever night time blow out. I think im going back to my faithful sensura one piece convex for now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Waking up in a puddle is less then fun.
😯 Sorry to hear that. If you need convexity then I don't think the Mio's will work.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I just realised I'm going to get to try these. Unsure how the sizing of the new stoma will affect the pieces ordered when I had the previous stoma.

I am so happy that i get to wear these when i get my end colostomy soon! Hope they make nice spout so i don't have to wear convex anymore! :tongue:

For those who had trouble with leaks on the one-piece, I met with a Coloplast rep the other day and he said that the two-piece has a different adhesive formulation which should be better suited to ileostomy output. If the one-piece failed you, give the two-piece a shot when it's available.

Got the new Coloplast catalog in.

There will be no convex options available in the new Mio's. There will be filterless options, but they'll be on transparent pouches, which will be disappointing to some.