• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Supplement EN helps sustain remission

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-230X/14/50/abstract

A retrospective study showing Maintenance treatment options for paediatric CD in the first year following diagnosis after induction of remission with EEN: supplemental enteral nutrition is better than nothing!

This study examined remission rates in children who used EEN to achieve remission and then either went on AZA or used EN as a supplement but did not use meds.

The remission rate at 1 year for the AZA group was 65%. The remission rate for the EN group was 60%. The remission rate for those who used nothing was 15%.

This is great info but I would express caution in generalizing the results as the numbers in the study were very small. The EN group was only 15 children and only 9 of those retained remission.

I have also posted the link in research articles.

Last edited:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Wondering... in this study, and in others, is remission assumed to be biochemical remission or could they be referring to clinical remission only?

Probably clinical remission. The abstract didn't say what measure they used so it could even be the PCDAI which is not a very good measure of remission.

I didn't review the article just the abstract so you could look up the article and let us know.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Just read it, they are using clinical remission. I find this term so misleading as 'clinical remission' is not really remission!! In my mind, while clinical remission is obviously a step in the right direction, using the word 'remission' (without further clarification) implies that you've reached the goal.

Let's just rewrite the textbooks and call it clinical recovery! :)

Tesscorm

Staff member
Yes, same with Stephen... certainly not that I wanted S on drugs but, as I said above, between the term clinical remission and the fact that I was a newbie (ignorance is bliss ;)), S also had inflammation for two years while on maintenance EN only.