• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Supplements - What are you taking?

I know there have been many posts about supplements, but reading through them has me more confused. Here's what I am taking and planning to take:

Taking now:
Centrum Women's One a Day Multi-Vitamin
B-12
Caltrate with Vitamin D and minerals

Planning to add:
Tumeric
Fish Oil

Am I on the right track? Am I missing anything? What are these good for as far as helping my Crohn's?

I want to be healthy, regardless of my Crohn's, but I also want to make sure what I am taking may help my Crohn's and not make it worse.

Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this (diagnosed less than a month).

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Right now I am just taking Calcium in a liquid gel to get the most absorption and Vitamin D3 to absorb more. I usually take a Mulivitamin but I am careful with too much Calcium. My brand is Centrum too. If you take a b12 it should be subliminal, or they wont break down. I get the shots, easier and goes through better for absorption but I have had two resections.

You are on the right track though.

I currently take:

Multivitiamn For Men
Fish Oil
Calcium with D
D3
Folic Acid
B12
B Complex
Ginger
Green Tea
Tumeric
L-Glutamine
Probiotic

Green Tea? I was taking that before my symptoms and diagnosis. I was also taking Chlorella. I think I will start them both again now.

I think I am being over-worried about things. I'm so afraid of feeling as badly as I did before my diagnosis that I over-think everything I eat/take now.

Thanks for sharing!

I drink a lot of green tea, on average 4 cups a day. But that is my daily caffine as I don't drink coffee and try to limit the soda. I take the supplement just for the extra boost.

Here are just a few medical conditions in which drinking green tea is reputed to be helpful:

* cancer
* rheumatoid arthritis
* high cholesterol levels
* cariovascular disease
* infection
*impaired immune function

I don't take it specifically for Crohn's. Just for the overall perceived benefits.

Supplement

I too take pretty much what Crohns Hobo takes. But, whats the bene of: Tumeric
L-Glutamine

And D Berger (?) what do you take...I am sure you listed it somewhere...but you are a wealth of knowledge...:)

I am reaching for some answers as I struggle through this flare....The last flare with colitis resulted in J Pouch....So anything...anything....Sue:depressed:

Nyx

I only take sublingual B12..I was supposed to be taking iron but it constipates me so badly that I stopped. I'm just upping my protein intake. Now that I have the colosomy I can eat whatever I want so the protein hasn't wreaked havok with my system; at least not yet.....lol

I take a few things, that are pretty much antiinflammatory, antioxident, and antibacterial. These three properties are why I take the following:

Turmeric
Ginger
Krill Oil
Pycnogenol (also lowers blood pressure). I am testing this property right now.

I also eat food that has some of these properties, as mentioned before. I try to make my diet part of my treatment.

I also take additional vitamin C as an antioxidant, and because I have a lot of it. My mother gave me a giant bottle of it.

I also take additional magnesium to prevent any bone problems, and to help keep the immune system working well.

I also take 5000 iu of vitamin D, and a multivitamin.

The theory is to use several non-toxic beneficial supplements and foods to tip the odds of any future flare in my favor.

I also use a couple of direct methods if I need to hammer a flare into submission. One of them is Miracle mineral Solution (acidified Chlorine Dioxide). This basically is a common water treatment method of killing acidic bacteria, applied to use in the human body. It packs a punch, and I use it only when needed, which is almost never now.

It also is the most important emergency treatment that exists in my opinion.
I have used it for tick bites to prevent Lyme and other tick borne disease infection, and to treat food poisoning (bad egg salad).

I got a few other strange treatments, but they are more complex.

Dan

D Bergy:

Do you take the Krill Oil in place of a fish oil? Any benefits that Krill Oil offers that Fish Oil does not?

Pycnogenol- Just for blood pressure or is there some Crohn's benefits there also? This is a new one for me, so curious what you think.

multivitamin +iron&minerals is all I take regularly

I have a bottle of omega 3 oil around but I never seem to use it. and to echo D.Bergy I work hard to make my diet part of the loop.

I originally found Pycnogenol as a possible non-toxic method of treating my wife's high blood pressure, and she is also exercising now, which is probably a better treatment.

It also is an anti inflammatory product, and actually has been used for hundreds of years in one form or another.

Here is some good information on Pycnogenol.

http://www.pycnogenol.com/consumer/consumer_research_library.php

There is debate whether Krill Oil is superior to Fish Oil, and I do not know if one is better than the other, but Krill are real small creatures, and are unlikely to accumulate Mercury like fish do. I think either provide Omega 3.

Dan

D Bergy said:
I originally found Pycnogenol as a possible non-toxic method of treating my wife's high blood pressure, and she is also exercising now, which is probably a better treatment.

It also is an anti inflammatory product, and actually has been used for hundreds of years in one form or another.

Here is some good information on Pycnogenol.

http://www.pycnogenol.com/consumer/consumer_research_library.php

There is debate whether Krill Oil is superior to Fish Oil, and I do not know if one is better than the other, but Krill are real small creatures, and are unlikely to accumulate Mercury like fish do. I think either provide Omega 3.

Dan
Thanks for the link. Might have to think about giving it a shot for a few months.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
I currently take

Multivitiamn
Chromium Picolate
Fish Oil
Absorbable Calcium
Vitamin D
Folic Acid
B12
Glucosimine and Chondrodin
Probiotic

Krill Oil pills, I believe are more potent and smaller than regular fish oil pills. I want to switch to them when I run out of fish oil next time.

I am taking

Tumeric
Krill oil
Probiotics
Ubiquinol
Chlorella
Vitamin D
Ashwagandha
Tulsi Holy Basil

My weight is more stable and my flare ups are shorter

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I take B-12 cause my GP said I was low but he didn't say how much I should take. I got these pills that are 2,000mcg 1/day. Is that too much?

It sounds way too high to me. Are you sure of that dosage? I have never seen that amount in a supplement.

Fifty mcg would be a high dose.

Dan

M

MikeinBklyn

B Complex
Men's Multi Vitamin
Krill Oil
Folic Acid
Vitamen D
Calcium
Probiotics

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
D Bergy said:
It sounds way too high to me. Are you sure of that dosage? I have never seen that amount in a supplement.

Fifty mcg would be a high dose.

Dan

That's the stuff. I'm seeing my GP next week so we'll talk about the dosage.

I guess I do not understand the need for that high of a dose, but I have never investigated B-12.

It seems to be safe at just about any dose, but 2000 mcg still seems way higher than needed, from what I can find on the subject.

Let me know what the doctor says.

Dan

2500 mcg sublingual B-12
1000 mcg folic acid
400 mg Calcium
600 I.U. Vitamin D
Women's Multivitamin (Centrum)
325 mg of ferrous sulfate 3 times per day
Florastor Probiotic

Oh, my doc said you can't overdose on Vitamin B12 and since I'm already getting so many shots, I decided to try the sublingual tabs. He recommended a high dose since I wasn't absorbing it well... So, I'd ask your doc Crabby Relish. I think it just depends on how much you are deficient

A High Potency Multivitamin
Fish oil
Turmeric
Ginger
Probiotic or Stoneyfield plain yoghurt with probiotics
Drink Chamomille tea and Black/green tea
Checking adding Bee Propolis for its antibacterial effects

Turmeric, Green tea and Fish oil are also natural anti TNF substances

Last edited:
Inositol, ginger, CoQ10, acidophilus, tried licorice capsules, but they were quite harsh. Have also used Essiac (caused a flare) and astragalus (caused a flare).

I have used a lot of herbs and to be honest, I think some of them caused a flare. Oil of Oregano seemed OK. Colostrum seemed OK, too. Spirulina I liked, but I am not sure of it caused a flare. Cranberry seemed to be OK.

I use Manuka Honey which is soothing and also Propolis. I try to use more food based supplements instead of herbs. Gingko did not help nor did ginseng.

I believe when done right for the right things they can help. But you sure can do too much.

I have used aloe vera caps and slippery elm to soothe my guts when I am in a lot of pain. I dont know if it helps though but it doesnt make things worse.

I take a multivitamin with a B25 complex included in it. I take probiotic caps but I prefer to get probiotics from fermented foods. I take vitamin D and a calcium supplement. I make sure to take my calcium and D3 separate from my multi as it can inhibit absorption of other vitamins.

I drink green tea every day. I was trying to get pregnant before I got really sick and I heard green tea was good for fertility as well as other things.

I take oil of oregano if I feel a cold or infection coming on along with extra vitamin C and D.

I always add turmeric to the soups I make.
I try to drink bone broth everyday. Its a really good source of bioavailable minerals. Especially for people who dont tolerate dairy very well. I take a tablespoon of cod liver oil each day for the omegas and the vitamin A and D.

I am going to look into this Bee propolis. I am interested in that.

I take epsom salt baths as they are good for opening up your sulfation detox pathway. I think detox pathways are important esp, when taking lots of drugs. Lemon water in the morning about 30 min before breakfast is also good for one of the detox pathways.

iherb.com has the best prices so far I find. Way cheaper than any of the stores I have been to.

One bad thing about Cod Liver Oil is it has a high amount of vitamin A, which interferes with vitamin D.

Many people have stopped using Cod Liver Oil for this reason. The ratio of D to A if pretty important, for D to do its job.

Dan

D Bergy said:
One bad thing about Cod Liver Oil is it has a high amount of vitamin A, which interferes with vitamin D.

Many people have stopped using Cod Liver Oil for this reason. The ratio of D to A if pretty important, for D to do its job.

Dan
I was vegan for awhile so I am trying to replace a lot of the vitamins I was missing incl. vitamin A. I am getting my blood tested reg for vitamin levels. I have read that if its natural A that it will not interfere as much synthetic A. The trick is to find a cod liver oil that doesnt contain synthetic A.

I know that Dr Mercola and the Weston A Price foundation are at odds on this one. Not that I fully follow either one, I just cherry pick the info that makes sense to me best. lol. Along with other alternative organizations.

I hope to not really have to worry about my vitamin D supplements when the sun gets strong enough.

As long as you are aware of the debate going on about it. I found it hard to find a multivitamin with lessor amounts of A, but some of the ones for seniors have less.

Dan