• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Supplements?

my little penguin

Staff member
Each GI has different ideas on these . what works for one kid could cause havoc in the next.
that being said DS take peptamen jr with prebio ( probiotic fiber thing) daily to help.
some studies have shown VSL#3 to work well most over the counter stuff is too mild your gi should be able to help.

AZMOM

Besides the meds:

Calcium/D combo
folic acid
iron
multivitamin
florastor

Let me say, though, that the doc is in agreement with all of those. And we let him know what we are doing.

J.

Multi-vitamin for teen boys
Vitamin D3
Peptide with prebiotic - 6 cans a day
Iron (on and off as doctor suggest with bloodwork)

Our GI is generally not a fan of probiotics but he did have A try Florastor for a month. It did not ease her symptoms and we were advised to stop taking it.

vit d 5000 IU
multivit gummy
b12 500 ug
iron---- haven't found one yet that is tolerable
no probiotics
19 year old

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I have my kids supplement based primarily what has been found to be deficient on blood tests:

I'm not sure what Sarah is taking at present but she also has added supplements due to her diet, she is vegan, but what I do know is:

Folic Acid
B12 (injections)
Vit D
Calcium
Flaxseed Oil

Matt is on:

Zinc
Magnesium
Vit D
and will now be on B12 injections. :)

Dusty. :)

Addit - I have also suggested to Sarah that next time she has bloods taken she have magnesium and zinc tested.

My son takes the following supplements.

TuZen probiotic
200 mg vitamin B2 twice a day (to prevent abdominal migraines)
vitamin D
children's multi vitamin

Our GI has suggested some of these supplements and given the ok to the others.

Maybe also consider l glutamine, and other glutathione precursors, glutathione is our bodies most important antioxidant, it's the master detoxifier, I have max GXL (supplement containing the precursors) every morning and night, have vit d, and a multi vitamin, iv also started juicing, kale, apples, pears, beetroot, and berries, I'm amazed at how much more energy I have!

When we did supplement, we used
fish oil
VSL #3
multivitamin
calcium chew
vitamin d
ferrous sulfate

We stopped taking all of the above, and she does well, although she tends to be a tad anemic. We try to manage iit via diet, though, as she is thrilled to be taking less supplements.

Multivitamin
Omega 3
Probiotics

... both my Crohns boy and my non-Crohns boy get the same supplements. We do them for general health and well being, not necessarily for Crohns.