• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Support for Spouses

Hello everyone. I posted the below story in the "Your Story" room and it was suggested I post it in here.

I've been with my fiancée for 7 years and we get married a year from now. She was diagnosed with Crohns 5 years ago and the past 2 years have been completely hellish. She had part of her bowel removed 18 months ago and has 2 fistulas which have bled almost constantly for 2 years. These fistulas are held open by a stitch to help them drain but they have left her in such incredible pain that she can't sit properly and has been unable to drive her car for 2 years. We no longer have a sex life as the pain makes it impossible. After 12 months off her work on sick leave she was dismissed on medical grounds.

The reason for my thread is to ask what support there is out there for spouses of those with Crohns. My fiancées recent surgery, where they tried to flatten one of the fistulas out more, has left her almost bed ridden and I am seriously worried about her wellbeing. She keeps telling me to go and find someone else who isn't broken but I will never do that. She's a lot more philosophical than the girl I fell in love with and her personality in general has changed alot in the last 2 years. She gets upset very easily and I'm not much good when this happens. I don't know what to say and just end up cuddling her and telling her everything will be ok.

She has to go back to theatre in 2 to 3 months so they can see if the recent surgery has improved the situation. If it hasn't she has to decide whether to have a stoma or continue persisting. She is utterly petrified of having a stoma but the alternative could take years for her to be completely healed. Even then other abscesses may appear. The doctor thinks it's time to give her bowel a rest. She thinks a stoma will put me off her but nothing could be further from the truth. She is absolutely gorgeous and even when she's is at her lowest points I still see that girl I fell in love with in her eyes. I know deep down that a stoma will give her a better quality of life but I don't want to force this decision onto her. I want her to make the decision, I'll be there to help her wrestle with it. Her aunt has Crohns and also has a stoma. The aunt told her about it bursting and leaking and this is what is frightening her most. She keeps asking what will happen if it leaks over her dress on our wedding day.

She's also worried about starting a family if she gets a stoma. We both absolutely love kids, all our friends have kids and we've both started to get very broody. I've tried doing a bit of research on this and have read that a stoma will mean having to give birth by Caesarian. If this is the limit of the drawbacks of pregnancy with a stoma I think we could deal with that.

I'm sorry, I'm rambling on a bit here and I'm sure I sound selfish in asking about support for spouses. My fiancée has her own Crohns support group so I know she will be getting great support from that. I just want to know what is out there to help me to help her and also what other posters experiences of stomas are and what pregnancy with a stoma is like.

Thanks
Seamus

Seamus, I'm sorry to hear this about your fiancee. What kind of medications is she on? What about TNF- blockers such as Remicade, Humira? Those drugs can work wonders and can heal damaged areas. I'm just throwing some small suggestion out there. My eight year old was diagnosed this year and after three infusions of Remicade is in remission. I will admit that while my daughter's disease affected her from her mouth to her bottom it wasn't as severe sounding as your fiancée's case. I see you are in the UK so treatment approach might be different, but she needs relief and so do you.

I wish you and her the best!

-J

Seamus, I'm sorry to hear this about your fiancee. What kind of medications is she on? What about TNF- blockers such as Remicade, Humira? Those drugs can work wonders and can heal damaged areas. I'm just throwing some small suggestion out there. My eight year old was diagnosed this year and after three infusions of Remicade is in remission. I will admit that while my daughter's disease affected her from her mouth to her bottom it wasn't as severe sounding as your fiancée's case. I see you are in the UK so treatment approach might be different, but she needs relief and so do you.

I wish you and her the best!

-J
I know she's on Humira. She's been on it for a while and I'm not sure if it's helping her. It may be keeping the Crohns at bay but I think the damage is already done with these fistulas. She's on a medication that gives her really bad skin. Her face has broken out in alot of spots and these take ages to heal.

I'm sorry I'm not sure what else she takes, she has a bag full of different tablets. I will try and find out and let you know.

Thank you for your reply.

You do not sound selfish at all. Quite the opposite in fact!! I hope she finds some relief soon. Good luck to both of you.

I am so sorry to hear this. It just isn't fair that people have to go through this. There has to be something to get her into remission. What about stop eating food and do polymeric nutrition, like Ensure? I know a surgery sometimes helps. I'm new to Crohn's myself...well my daughter. I'm not sure how things work in England, but is it easy to get a second opinion? Is it a long wait?

I hope she finds something that works. I know she is grateful to have you.

The Crohn's Forum has been a great tool for me and I hope it is for you, too.

Best wishes!

~J

I'm sorry, I'm rambling on a bit here and I'm sure I sound selfish in asking about support for spouses. My fiancée has her own Crohns support group so I know she will be getting great support from that. I just want to know what is out there to help me to help her and also what other posters experiences of stomas are and what pregnancy with a stoma is like.
Hi Seamus. As others have said, you are not selfish at all. As I think anyone who has or deals with chronic diseases will tell you, the spouses and family need as much emotional support as the patients.

My wife and I have been married almost 25 years and she has had Crohn's for much longer than that. I found out what all that really meant when we went on our first out-of-town trip together (before we were even married) and she ended up in the ER.

I can't give you any advice on pregnancy (we don't have kids, but that's not because of Crohn's), but I think there are support sub-forums about both stomas and pregnancy.

Just remember, this isn't a sprint, this is a marathon. ;) Don't try to fix everything at once, we're all in this for the long haul. Good luck.