• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Supporting My Girlfriend With Crohns

I have joined this forum to better understand Crohns and the effects, both physically and mentally.

My girlfriend of nearly a year was diagnosed maybe 4/5 years ago with Crohns/IBD. She has always been fairly open about it and since we've been together I have always supported her.

Recently, she's has been having quite a bad flare up, which at times can make me feel useless when I am unable to help, so I'm hoping i can understand better to be able to support her more and make her feel more comfortable.

For the days she feels low, sometimes too embarrassed to want me to be in the same room as her, I guess id like to know more the things I can do to keep her at ease.

I don't have any friends who are wise to the subject so I figured this would be a good place to start.

Many Thanks for reading, David.

Hello OriginalDM,

You have come to the right forum. There are many knowledgeable people around and they will be able to suggest alternatives to you and help you in your decision-making process. One would suggest that you document her current/past symptoms and treatment plan and post it here, and that would be worked on by members of this forum. There are many support groups here - some might be of relevance to you. Wishing you all the best.

Regards

my little penguin

Staff member
Offer to Skype or face time together if she doesn't want you in the room per say then you can watch a movie together
Bring her favorite flare food that she can just heat up ( everyone is different on what they can and can't tolerate )
Play online games with her again so you can be with her but she can be inactive on the couch if need be.
She may have nausea fatigue vomiting diarrhea mouth ulcers and abdominal pain during a flare - all at once or separately or just one symptoms
Again everyone is different
Bring over magazines or books she likes a polar fleece throw so she has something to snuggle when things are bad

Snugglables makes stuffed animals with hot packs you put in the microwave and heat up t
Plus warm blankets etc...
Ds is 11 but still loves his and a good electric blanket for belly pain.

Ds has had ibd since age 7 so at some point I know he will be in a similar place with hopefully a very understanding girlfriend

Good luck

afidz

Super Moderator
You are a wonderful person to care so much, there are a lot of people who don't have that in their relationship.

Keep browsing the forum, there is so much information on here

From my perspective, if your girlfriend says she wants to be alone. Let her be. I have days where I just want to be left alone. My fiance is the type that needs to fix everything so its really hard for him to listen to me. He asks what he can do to make me feel better and my answer is always the same. You can't do anything, we have to ride it out (with a doctor's help, of course). Sometimes I just need to be by myself because I want to be sad and I don't want anyone to know. I just need time to be sad and mourn who I used to be and I usually bounce back by the next day. That time to me is important and how I cope with being chronically ill.
Hope this helps :)