• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Supportive Wife of CD

Hello there!

I'm joining this forum as the wife of a Crohn's Disease sufferer. My husband was diagnosed at the age of 22, we are both now 23. He has been in the ER 3 times for severe abdominal pain, constipation, and vomiting. The 2nd visit was followed by his first hospital admission and the diagnosis of CD. He went un-medicated about a month following his new diagnosis until another flare caused a 2nd hospital stay almost a year later. He is now in compliance with Pentasa, Prednisone, and OTC Omeprazole. His GI doctor recently prescribed Mercaptopurine and we'll be initiating treatment this weekend. We're very cautious about the side effects of this new medication as he works as a full-time firefighter/paramedic and is constantly exposed to infection, illness, and disease. We are also expecting our first child in August (conceived when he was un-medicated). I'm looking forward to using this forum to interact with CD sufferers worldwide for advice and general experiences. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. Thank for telling his story. Congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family.

Hi, mercaptopurine is similar to Aziathropine which I have been on for over four years. I have had no problems or side effects from it. I take it together with Pentsa. I can honestly say that I haven't had an infection or virus for a long time now. I hope your husband feels better soon, I think it can take up to three months to kick in. How exciting though that you are having your first child.

I have a similar story to you. My husband had been dealing with what we thought was the stomach bug every few weeks. Went to the doctor several times, but was told they didn't find anything wrong. This started in June, and by August we were fed up with it and wanted a referral to a GI doctor. Finally got a appointment but it wasn't until September. The episodes kept happening and we went to the ER twice for diaharra, vomiting, severe stomach pains and then constipation. The first er visit they said it was possibly a viral thing gave him some fluids, took blood and a little pain meds and sent us on our way. The second ER visit same thing, but this time the bloods were elevated, so they sent him to do a contrast CT scan. Results came by, doctor is pretty sure its crohns due to narrowing. So, he was admitted to the hospital for 4 days and then sent home with pred and told the GI place would follow up. This was in September of last year. I at the time was 17 weeks pregnant. So much to deal with all at once. My husband told me he wanted his hardnosed wife back, cuz I was crying all the time. My husband has totally changed his diet and has started LDN almost 8 weeks ago! It hasn't been easy. Everytime his stomach hurts and he hasn't gone "poo" he gets worried.

Congrats on the baby! It's a wonderful ride!