• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Supposed to start Cimzia, but....needles.....

I hate needles. I hate getting shots, blood drawn, whatever. When I do have to get this done I can never watch. In fact I once almost passed out after having an IV put into my hand. I just hate the thought of a sharp metal object stabbed beneath my skin. So here I have a box of Cimzia that has been in my fridge for over a month that I finally came to grips and opened up. However, as I looked at the inch long needle I came to the realization that there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to stab myself 6 times this month.

Previously I had been on Humira, but had a reaction and had to stop. However, Humira comes in an idiot/scardycat proof injection pen where all you need to do is pinch some skin, press a button, hold for 10 seconds then get a band aid. Super easy. Cimzia, on the other hand, is just a regular needle.

So now I'm thinking of throwing this crap out and going on Remicade. I don't like the idea of wasting hours of sick time for work just to take medication, but the only options my doc gave me is Remicade or Cimzia.

So a quick question, is Cimzia always dosed by a needle? Or did I just get a version that didn't come with the whole pen contraption that I was happy with while using Humira?

On a side note I just went skydiving last weekend and loved it. Apparently what really scares me in life is a 1" piece of metal, go figure...

Can't you find someone to inject you? Or have it done by a nurse at your GP?

I actually switched my Humira from the pen to a syringe as I find it less painful! Maybe get a nurse to help you the first time? Once you've done it, it only gets easier......

Personally I know Ds prefers the syringe to the pen
No click and less pain
I would talk to your gp
They might be able to help or a good friend

I might, but I also think I will setup an appointment with another doctor to get a 2nd opinion. Not just with prescription recommendations but general help. I'm starting to lose weight again and I feel like my insides are deteriorating. My stomach never stops making loud disgusting noises. If I watch my stomach while it makes the noises I can see it twist and deform. My current doc just acts like this is normal, but I've never had it like this before.

How far are you supposed to stick the needle in? The instructions weren't really clear but im tempted just to try and shoot myself anyway. Any idea how long before relief might start?

Cimzia is only available as a syringe...
Really? This I did not know. My starter kit is supposed to be here today and I was expecting the pens just like Humira. I've used syringes before, do they come pre loaded? How long does it take to inject? I've read people that say it reminds them of injecting maple syrup, is that accurate?

Really? This I did not know. My starter kit is supposed to be here today and I was expecting the pens just like Humira. I've used syringes before, do they come pre loaded? How long does it take to inject? I've read people that say it reminds them of injecting maple syrup, is that accurate?
They are preloaded syringes that are injected subcutaneously into stomach fat, or thighs.

I don't know if the "maple syrup" analogy is accurate, but it is very thick stuff and injects slowly. I don't know if I could do it faster, but it usually takes me about 30 seconds to get it all injected. I know that when I push harder on the syringe it hurts more, so I back off.

They are preloaded syringes that are injected subcutaneously into stomach fat, or thighs.

I don't know if the "maple syrup" analogy is accurate, but it is very thick stuff and injects slowly. I don't know if I could do it faster, but it usually takes me about 30 seconds to get it all injected. I know that when I push harder on the syringe it hurts more, so I back off.
Ok thanks. I planned on using my belly fat since thats where I shot my Humira and feel most comfortable. I wonder if anyone has made the mistake of trying to IV it lol I really hope not. Idk what would happen but I can't imagine it would be good.

Does it hurt less or more if its directly from the fridge or does it matter? I would typically let my Humira warm at room temp for 20-30 minutes before I would inject myself. Would that be advised for Cimzia as well?

First: let the shots sit out for a good 30 minutes before injecting. Cold Cimzia is painful!
Second: You need to poke at a 45 degree angle. I used to have my husband do it but found that in the end I like to be in control. The actual poke DOES NOT hurt. It's the injecting that stings. The serum is thick so you have to go a bit slowly with the injecting and it burns. I wish I could say you get used to it but you do only a little. The longer you think about it the harder it is to do, you sort of just have to go for it.
For me, it hurt less in the belly than the thigh but you need to switch up the site every time ( I actually think I built up a little scar tissue from injecting in the same place too many times)
You can do it!