• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery!! 😳

I am 16 years old and I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease in December of last year. I am currently on 6-mp and Remicade and neither are working so they decided medicine won't help me and they are giving me surgery. I also take 30mg of Prednisone every day, which isnt helping swelling or pain. The surgeons said they are probably going to take out about a foot. The surgery is on Thursday (8/28/14). I am a little nervous but I know it is in God's hands, so I am not too scared. I am really hoping this will put me into remission. Do you think it's a possibility?? I'll post after the surgery and tell you if all went well. (It is going to be at Vanderbuilt in Nashville, which is an exceptional hospital)

Hi Hannah. I just had resection surgery 19 days ago and it's gone much better than I imagined. Hopefully you will have a similar experience. However, from my understanding, surgery won't bring about remission. All it does is get rid of diseased tissue. My surgeon told me the most critical thing for me to do is to get my disease under control so the inflammation doesn't come back at the surgery site. Please talk to your GI doc as soon as possible about how he/she is going to monitor and treat your disease after surgery. Perhaps there are other drug combinations to try. You don't want to have to repeat surgery.

Take care and please let us know how it goes.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hey Hannahemily27. I'm sorry you have to have surgery. Surgery eventually put me in remission for 20 wonderful years. I will add, it is very important (as previously mentioned) get things under control.

Sending you my support. Trust everything goes well.