• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery 1st Timer- Multiple Resections

Hi everyone!

I'm no newbie to this forum but three weeks ago I was "jumped" into the crohn's surgery gang. It was totally unexpected. I showed up at the ER with a 101.2 fever, a puss filled abscess was discovered on my abdominal cavity (which was abstracted) and after 4 days with no break in fever, it was decided that surgery wasn't only required but it was required right then and there.

I had to have open surgery not just due to me needing a terminal ileum resection but (after a fistula was discovered between my sigmoid colon & ileocecal region) I also had to have a sigmoid colectomy. I guess if you're gonna go, go hard huh?

I'm on the road to recovery and had questions about the healing process for anyone that may have had more than one procedure performed simultaneously like I did. I'm feeling stiffness at where I'm assuming is my colon section and am just a little concerned. Maybe the word is worried as this was my first major surgery (outside of having adenoids removed at age 7) so complications and such put fear in me. It's just a little discomfort but not pain requiring me to take meds. My bowel habits changed daily from 3-5 to 2-3 but I know that has to probably do with what I'm eating as I'm trying to eat healthy but also adhere to soft diet standards and it's not an easy diet change to master virtually overnight. I haven't seen any blood in stools, just the narrowing which probably is due to not drinking as much water and my appetite has decreased over last 2 days.

Any feedback on what to expect would be greatly appreciated. I was also debating maybe going up and down the steps as a form of activity that doesn't involve sitting on the couch so would that be considered a good idea? I did have the low-grade fevers sporadically but they seem to be under control now for the most part.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just didn't want to leave anything out. Hope to get some feedback, and thank you to anyone in advance :)

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello,
I haven't had a resection but I am no stranger to open abdominal surgery. In my opinion doing something like walking up and down the stairs would be good, just don't over do it. Listen to your body. But you have the right idea of getting up off the couch. Getting up and walking gets your blood flowing which in return helps healing. Not only that, but I am sure your legs feel weak from being laid up, so slowly getting their strength back up will also help you feel better and get you closer to a normal routine again.
I am sure someone will be along soon to give you advice on the resection, hope you heal quickly :hug:

Hi afidz! Thanks so much for the response and advice. Surgery & the body's response is so scary...every little thing I feel I worry about...which of course is no good too so I know I have to stop that lol. I'm sorry to see that you are no longer in remission :( I wish you a safe and quick healing process!