• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery and throwing up

Ok so I had surgery about three weeks ago to remove a section of my colon and two fistulas. I have been on solid foods since I have been home without many problems. However it seems that at least once a week I start to throw up (usually at night or early in the morning). Is my body still adjusting, or am I just eating food that is still to rich for my still healing state, or is something else going on that I should be more concerned about?

My 12 year old had a resection 6 weeks ago. Last week he threw up so naturally I freaked out. In his case it was from over eating because he's hungry constantly now, but his GI advised taking the frequent small meals, low residue approach for awhile and see how things go. So far so good.

His GI also said that often people with IBD have trigger foods. Have you kept a food diary yet? Do you generally feel nauseous after eating? Have you been tested for Celiac? Just some thoughts.

At three weeks your body is still doing some pretty major recovery. I hope you feel better soon!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Guitarjamie03 have you talked to your doctor about the vomiting? What did they say?

I've had a resection and had an infection after but I was vomiting all the time. I finally went in to be seen after my incision burst open. It is possible that you could be dealing with an infection even though you aren't vomiting all the time. Contact your doctor right away if you haven't already. Another possibility is a narrowing/stricture at the resection site. I'm going to tag Afidz in case she might have anymore to add.

Keep us posted on how you're feeling. :)

I called my doc this morning because i was throwing up even more when i woke up today. They want me to try some more antinausia medicine as well as some other pill ( i forget the name of it). And if i get worse to call them back. I think they might be worried about a bowel obstruction. I sure hope not!! One major surgery is enough for this year.. thank you!

Ps. Are u still using lots of pain meds? They can cause vomiting etc as after a recent surgery I had I was sick a few times randomly and I am pretty sure the pain meds caused it

afidz

Super Moderator
Everything that has been said I agree with. do you have a fever? Is your incision red and or warm? have you had any blood work recently?
Pay attention to your body, that's for sure. Write down any.differences in your habits. I am a little concerned of it being an obstruction. Are you in more pain than normal? Going to the bathroom regularly?

No fevor right now.I able to have a bm before i left the hopsital. I have been passing gas but no bm since tuesday night and that was more like an explosion. I thought i just ate something bad. But since Tuesday i have not had much to eat so that could be why i have not had a bm in a few days. I am also not going to take my pain meds before i go to bed tonight to see if that helps any. I am really not in that much pain anymore. My incesion isnt red or hot either.

Thanks all for the advice!

afidz

Super Moderator
I am worried about the fact that you haven't had a BM since Tuesday, and if you are throwing up more its a bit worrisome.

I would maybe get down to local A&E and see if you can get an X-ray of your colon? This would help in showing whether you might have a blockage or not

I had a bm last night shortly after that post. Then i woke up in the middle of the night and had manother one. I also have not thrown up since yesterday morning either. However i seem to have the most nausia at night so i am goimf ro eat soft foods again today and take a stronger antinausia pill before bed to see if i can sleep through the night

As a curio - and probably not of much help to you - but I discovered that I'm rather intolerant of Opiate pain-killers after my resection surgery. Lots of vomiting.

Hope everything settles soon, and second/third everyone else here. First sign of trouble - GP/A&E pronto.

Best wishes, Tony.