• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery in less than 14 hours, and I'm 13.

It's very rare that a younger person has to do a resection. I have the NG tube in already. I really really nervous and I would appreciate if someone would answer me before surgery. Can you tell me what happens after surgery? And what about the catheter? I'm REALLY dreading that... It seems nasty to me and I dont want one. I don't want to do surgery either, but it's too late now. They decided to do surgery yesterday when I was hospitalized due to another obstruction. I just got out if the hospital two weeks ago. I don't know, I just need someone to calm me down. I'm really tired right now, but I can't sleep. Do I have to get a catheter? I also have to get a pick line. I don't know many details since they just told me. They said they have to get it out as soon as possible...

Hi Audi.

I had a catheter for my anesthetics during my colonoscopy, the concept makes my skin crawl too. They put a tube...inside your body? ewwww

If it's going in your hand, just don't look. I would say the pain level during the time the nurse puts it in is on caliber with an annoying, but not painful, shot. Afterwards you don't feel or notice it as long as you don't move the hand too much. I had my nurses wrap it in a warm towel so I wouldn't look, maybe you can do that too? It should be out of your hand when you wake up unless they feel you'll need multiple operations or lots of IVs.

Stay strong, I know how scary obstructions are. :(

It's very rare that a younger person has to do a resection. I have the NG tube in already. I really really nervous and I would appreciate if someone would answer me before surgery. Can you tell me what happens after surgery? And what about the catheter? I'm REALLY dreading that... It seems nasty to me and I dont want one. I don't want to do surgery either, but it's too late now. They decided to do surgery yesterday when I was hospitalized due to another obstruction. I just got out if the hospital two weeks ago. I don't know, I just need someone to calm me down. I'm really tired right now, but I can't sleep. Do I have to get a catheter? I also have to get a pick line. I don't know many details since they just told me. They said they have to get it out as soon as possible...
I got out of the hospital with surgery on Tuesday for a small bowel resection. I went for a little walk today, have been pain free and am actually feeling better than I have in months...and this is just a few days post surgery! I'll answer as many of your questions here as I can:
1. After surgery, you will be moved to a recovery room, which will be kind of loud and chaotic. This will also be the most unpleasant part. My biggest problem was gas pains radiating into my shoulders and my back hurting(!). You'll also learn how to adjust your position without hurting yourself.

2. They'll probably put the catheter in while your asleep and you won't feel a thing. You can't even feel it when it's in. They took mine out the second day...it feels a little weird coming out, but it doesn't hurt or anything.

Surgery is terrifying, but sometimes it's the best option. I spent four days in the hospital from my surgery and it's amazing how much better you feel each day. Right now, sitting on the couch, I feel *normal* for the first time in months (of course, I'm not trying to walk around...but at this moment I feel normal!). Be sure to let the nurses know if you're in pain or having trouble sleeping. Eat slowly when you get back on food. Don't stress to much when they ask you CONSTANTLY if you've passed gas or had a bowel movement(gas happened for me on Sunday, BM on Tuesday)...they will happen!

Honestly, no bullshit here: the experience was far, far better than I ever would have imagined.

Best of luck.

I'll expand on what happens after surgery in a little time-line Keep in mind that your experience may be a little bit different.

Friday:
1pm: Go to change into hospital gowns, say goodbye to family, then go to ANOTHER area to meet with anesthesiologists and nurses
2pm: Surgery! And taken to the OR, laid on a table and given a little shot.
6pm: Woke up in recovery room. This part was the worst. I was extremely uncomfortable, pain meds didn't do much and ended up being there for something like 7 hours due to some complications with anesthesia (basically, my heart rate wouldn't go down to normal for a looong time). But my wife was there the whole time, so that helped
2am: taken to my room. That night was a bummer. I felt like shit and couldn't sleep.

Saturday:
7am: Finally fell asleep for a few hours! Dozed on and off throughout the day!
All Day: Felt good enough to mess around on the computer and watched some TV. Talked with my visitors. The docs and nurses were in and out to check on me. Mostly, I laid there.
4pm: The first walk! With the aid of my wife, I went for a little walk down the hall and back. The encourage to go as much as you can as it greatly accelerates your recovery.
7pm: Catheter out! They gave me a urinal to use by my bed to measure how much I was peeing (the answer: a lot). Actually got sleep that night

Sunday:
Morning: Passed gas for the first time and was put on clear liquid food (broth, apple juice, etc). Did more walking when I could, lots of naps and computers. Again, laid around all day and felt pretty good! Getting in and out of bed and walking is still difficult, but I'm not having pain and it's okay if I go slooow.

Monday:
SOLID FOOD! Feeling even better and have ditched the urinal to go to the actual bathroom every time now. Am also basically farting constantly, which is a good thing in their eyes.

Tuesday: I get the word that I'm getting released! I get my drain out (oh God, I left part out! I like plastic bubble on your side where goop is drained from your wound area. You don't feel it, but it looks disgusting...try not to look at it). That part suuuucked. It felt super weird and I felt terrible for about 30 minutes after it was out. Not pain, but flu-like terrible. But I got home, went to the bathroom and felt much, much better.

I hope this helps. I'm online for a while (a weird sleep cycle post hospital!), so please feel free to ask any more questions. No question is too gross or silly...

dave13

Forum Monitor
Hi Audi,I had a resection in November.It was in my upper jejunum. I'm sure they will know,but let your Dr.'s and nurses know you are nervous

My resection really helped me.I had an emergency procedure so I didn't have a lot of time to think about it.You have to take it slow after surgery,are you having open surgery?

Once you are in your room and you see everything hooked up to you,don't freak out.It is overwhelming...but it is also temporary.If you have open surgery you will have pain from the incicision and it will look kinda awful. A section of your stomach stapled closed.Again...don't freak out.It heals.There may be considerable bruising around the incision.It will go away with time.

You will get asked lots of questions at all times of the day and night.Hospitals are not a place for rest.They want to be sure your guts 'wake up'.Once the ng tube is removed,if you have one,you will be able to get out of bed and walk around.Just pull your IV along with you.

It is important to walk,it will help get your guts get moving again and reduce chances of clots from being in bed too much.The anti-clotting shots hurt,but only for a few seconds.I walked a lot!! My ward had 'trail maps' with distance marked off on each 'route'. Walking also helps with boredom.Take your time and don't overdo.You may meet an interesting neighbor when you are walking.

Walking is easier than arranging your position when you are in bed.Really.Your abdominals are an important muscle group and you will see first hand how much they are used.Move slow...ask for help if you need it.

Your first bm will be a mile stone...same with gas.It will show your guts are functioning again.My nurse gave me a high five when I pooped for the first time after surgery.This will take a few days.

I was warned of the potential for an temp.stoma.Ask your doc.

Take your time recovering and don't push to hard.You don't want to land back in the hospital.

I hope to hear how you are doing,I will be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way.Feel free to pm me anytime.

It is a lot to go through,for sure...remember you have your fellow crohnies supporting you! You will recover from surgery,it will seem like it is a slow process...because it is.If you feel down or confused...reach out to us! We will be here. :ghug:

Dave

Thank you guys for answering me so quickly! I'm going to have it in four hours. I'm not as nervous as I used to be and I feel better about the catheter. Child life services are showing me pictures of the rooms and letting me see what a pick line looks like. I have had a flare atleast once a month, so I'm happy I'll actually feel better! Again, thank you for answering me so quickly!!

I'm doing okay... I got the laparoscopic surgery, but they had to do a big incision also to take my appendix out. Physical therapy was awful because they thought I had the surgery Monday, so they pushed me pretty hard. My morphine makes me laugh and then I feel pain, so I just stick with a constant dose of tylonal. I'm also getting my catheter out tomorrow! Thank you guys so much for keeping me in your thoughts. All I remember is waking up bawling because I thought they said I had a bag! (And I was in pain... They didn't give meds yet)

dave13

Forum Monitor
I'm glad you didn't have to have open surgery.I hope you continue to do well recovering...don't over do it! :)

Glad to hear your on the other side! You'll be amazed how much better you feel each day compared to the one before (hopefully...that would be a bad one to be wrong about). So congrats, the worst is over! In the short-term, be prepared to lots of Jell-O, lots of awkward walking and being asked if you're farting by every person who comes into the room.