• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery March 7th

Well I went to the surgeon today. I am having surgery on march 7th. I am having hand assisted laparoscopic Ileocolic resection.Whew that is a mouthful :ywow: The surgeon was vey thorough and even drew some pictures of what he was going to do. He answered all my questions I had and was reassuring to me and my husband. He said the surgery should take about 2 hrs and I will be in the hospital for 3-6 days. Recovery time 6-8 weeks. ( I'm hoping for 4)
I am going to start a journal 3 days before my surgery. To document what I am going through. Hopefully the hospital will have wifi.
Please keep me and my family in your hearts and prayers :heart:
Thanks,
Heather

I'm having pretty much the same same surgery on March 5th, so I will definitely be praying for you and yours! <3 Also, so glad it sounds like you have a great surgeon - I really like mine, too, so hopefully we'll both come out of this feeling a lot better. :)

Good luck! <3

Yep, I'm out in Colorado (though I visit Atlanta every year on vacation - so beautiful!) but I'll definitely be sending you good thoughts! :)

hey! I am having almost the same surgery March 4th! my first surgery in 10 years of having crohns. having a gnalry strictured piece of small intestine removed laproscopically. Im really excited as it is an area that has flared up violently multiple times in the past and twice landed me in the hospital for a week of steroid iv after the obstruction nearly killed me. came close to having the surgery both those times but doctors went for pred each time bc I was too unstable for surgery and at the time surgery scared the crap out of me. after the last hospitalization I talked with the docs and made the decision to arrange a resection. Im excited to have this piece gone cuz even when Im stable and its not flaring it just aches and swells and holds me back. Excited to go into surgery when Im feeling in control and can plan things and be prepared rather than the scary emergency situations crohns can put me in. got my fridge stocked up (haha) with homemade chicken stock, lots of fruit and veg for my juicer (fresh juice is the best crohnie medicine!!!) coconut water, apple juice ext. Im right there with you guys! be strong <3

Bunny good luck with your surgery!!! Let us know how it goes! I am getting stocked up too. And trying to get my house in order for my stay in the hospital. :)

My 12 year old had a small bowel resection 6 weeks ago. One thing to ask about is an epidural for pain. It worked amazingly well for his pain control, but unfortunately, he had some sort of allergic reaction to it. It might be with asking about though, especially if you want to avoid the heavy narcotics.

The other big thing for us, since he also has Celiac and is gluten free, was to bring our own food in. The hospital cafeteria really couldn't offer him much. Plus you might just want your own comfort foods anyway.

Last, there will be a low point. It may be only for a few minutes or you may be bummed for several days, so bring something that will motivate and inspire you and save it for that low point moment. In our case, my son missed our dog terribly, so strange as it sounds, we did FaceTime with our dog (and other son). It was the pick-me-up he needed after one really rough night.

Oh, and I know he's a kid and kids bounce back faster, but time wise he was back to school a week later, eating normally within days, and bouncing off the walls by week three. Physical activity and the lifting restriction were in effect until week four and that is the only thing that isn't 100% yet. He's been inactive for so long that starting gym class this week has been tough. Lots of sore muscles, but slowly getting better. Walk as much as you can... and then walk some more.

Good luck with all your surgeries, everyone!!

I am 51 now and have had Crohns since I was a teen. I had my first ileocecectomy on December 4th, and I cannot even believe how I feel now! I eat anything I want, my BMs are normal again, and I am pain-free!! Yay!

It will come. It took at least three to four days after all of my resections before anything started to move. Lots of walking helps.

Ouch ouch ouch . This is such slow process. And the neck nd shoulder pain from the surgical gas is sometimes worse than the gut pain. Holy crap :( hoping I cn some strong pin meds to go and get home soon. Hospitals are so sad. Haven't had the very best nurse care either :( feel like a hassle to ask for help

hey! I am having almost the same surgery March 4th! my first surgery in 10 years of having crohns. having a gnalry strictured piece of small intestine removed laproscopically. Im really excited as it is an area that has flared up violently multiple times in the past and twice landed me in the hospital for a week of steroid iv after the obstruction nearly killed me. came close to having the surgery both those times but doctors went for pred each time bc I was too unstable for surgery and at the time surgery scared the crap out of me. after the last hospitalization I talked with the docs and made the decision to arrange a resection. Im excited to have this piece gone cuz even when Im stable and its not flaring it just aches and swells and holds me back. Excited to go into surgery when Im feeling in control and can plan things and be prepared rather than the scary emergency situations crohns can put me in. got my fridge stocked up (haha) with homemade chicken stock, lots of fruit and veg for my juicer (fresh juice is the best crohnie medicine!!!) coconut water, apple juice ext. Im right there with you guys! be strong <3
I have the EXACT same problem as you. I am going for surgery on April 9th. Have been in hospital with strictures and abscesses, was on Pred. I came close to surgery in Emerg. at least twice...finally, finally, got the surgery date...Hope you are feeling better and your pain is managed well. I'm on the East Coast, where are you?

Im in Alberta; today was better. My sister brought me fresh veggie juice, homemade chicken broth with miso and a boiled egg which I ate with only minimal discomfort. And i finally passed gas! Slowly on my way home. Showered for the first time since the operation, what a huge difference that made in moral. My belly is still really warped and mishapen which im bummed about but hopefully that will also settle with time.

Ah, the first shower - Yes, I remember that being absolute bliss! Unfortunately, I also remember the shoulder pain from the trapped gas.

Take it one day at a time. You'll see a little improvement each day - and once you can, as Mehita says, get walking. It *really* does help get everything moving.

Best of wishes,
Tony,

Everything is going well. Still in a lot of pain. But I have been making myself walk around the room so far so good still on an all liquid diet yuck. I want some real food.
All in all I believe this is going to do wonders for me. I have had one bowel movement this morning it was bloody diarrhea. I guess that is normal.

Heather - walking = good! And yes, a bit of blood in the first bowel movement(s) is normal. Of course, if it continues let your care-team know. When can you have some jelly and ice-cream as a treat - it almost counts as solid food (!)

Tony.

I got to go home today. I'm a little sore and tired. But all and all I'm doing good. I'm on a low fiber diet for 2weeks then get to swap to soft diet. Thank you to all that have asked about me.
Still waiting on my cheeseburger. Mmmm

Fabulous news. Rule #1 don't overdo it! Take everything slowly and surely. The cheeseburger countdown has begun! Best wishes, Tony

Taking it slow. I ate some potato soup tonight I hope I don't get nauseated. Sleeping a lot still. Go back to the doctor on April 1st hopefully will get my cheeseburger. Lol. ;)