• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery or Remicade

Yesterday I was given the choice of surgery or remicade. I have chosen to go the surgery route and have been put back on prednisone while I wait. Do you think I made the right decision? A bit of background:

I have narrowing in my ileum and keep getting partial blockages. I also have two small fistulas (One between my small intestines and one between my large intestines). The affected section is only about 5 centimetres long (about 2 inches). I have been in this flare for over a year. I have tried Budesonide, Prednisone and Imuran. The only thing that works is the prednisone and only at high doses.

My reasons for choosing the surgery are: it is such a small portion, I have a feeling that if I tried the remicade I would end up back in this same boat anyway, and the thought of getting infusions every six weeks is not appealing to me. If the surgery doesn't work, I may end up on remicade anyway, but I want to give this a try at least.

Your going to get done what I had done. It's been almost 3 months since my surgery and I feel so amazing. Once you get over the surgery recovery you will feel the best you've ever felt in your life. I did too have a a few fistulas but my narrowing was down to 1 mm in some places so the surgery was the only option for me.

Gotta agree with Zalanicht, once recovered surgery was the best decision ever, correct me if i'm wrong but remicade can only heal fistulas if you have an ileostomy that way it gives the part time to rest. But if you have a good surgeon i would recommend it :)

ameslouise

Choosing surgery is never an easy decision. But based on your description, I agree that you made the right decision.

Good luck and best wishes for an easy surgery, quick recovery, and great quality of life afterwards!!

- Amy

I would also choose surgery. It sounds like the problem has progressed too far for any drug like Remicade to have an effect.

I would also recommend you go on LDN post surgery as a maintenance. It's almost like not being on any drug because there is little to no side effects.

Good Luck!

RobK

Surgery is smart, honestly wish I would have done it years ago. Since my surgery June 1st, I have not ANY of the pain I was having before. Good luck , hope u do not need luck thou, LMPO

HEAL QUICK