• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery soon, to many questions...

I am 52 and recently had a colonoscopy. The Doctor said that I have a strickure (?) were the small intestine meets the colon. He wasn't able to pass the scope past that area. He said it was the thickening of the colon walls which is common with people who have Crohn's.

I had problems since I was in my mid teens with symptoms of Crohn's. In the 70's and early 80's not a whole lot was know about Crohn's. Whenever I would see a doctor they would always say it was due to stress. I am sure many of you have heard the same thing.

I was first diagnosed with Crohn's at age 26. I have been on or tried pretty much all the meds that are suppose to help. Of course none of them really work.

I have been on remicade for 4 years and then when I was always getting sick after the infusion. I was then placed on Humira. It really isn't doing much for me.

I have to consider myself very lucky to have surgery now, rather than when I was younger. I was wondering if anyone had surgery? What type of procedure did they use (laparoscopic or conventional ? How long were you in the hospital. How log did it take you to heal?

I always knew that I would eventually have to have surgery. I read some posts, which many people said they were in the hospital for 3 - 4 days, and then were not allowed to go back to work until the 4th or 5th day.

I own my own business, I have 3 Border Collies, and I use them to herd Canada geese off of public and private properties. I am not how long I can put off the surgery. I picked up a few new contracts and I can't take to much time off. I did read that some people had healed in 2 weeks.

I am just looking for people who had this type of surgery and see how they made. I also saw that some people didn't even any pain meds once they went home. Can I expect the same?

If anyone can help by letting me know what type of surgery you had and how fast did you recover, that would be such a big help..

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL

I first want to say WELCOME to the Crohn's Forum. I am sure that all will go well with your surgery so relax and place your prayers into the HANDS of the BIG MAN UPSTAIRS and I will be right there praying for you too ... Praying for good things to come your way and do come in when your feeling better and update us ... feel free to add me as a friend as I want to be there to be praying !!!

Again take care and stay positive !!

sawdust

Hello borderholic, and welcome! While I have not had a resection, I wanted to let you know that I sent you a link via Private Message and also wanted to point you in the direction of our Surgery Subforum. I'm sure you'll get some helpful replies to this thread, but I think you'll find the discussion in the surgery subforum to be helpful as well. Again, welcome to the forum. :hug:

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Hello borderholic, Welcome to the forum.
I was DX with crohns at age 61, I know "That od" well, I had "D" for about 15 years and I jst lived with it,It wasn't that bad. They were taking out my apendx and found crohns so they did a resection on the spot. They cut me open for the surgery and I was in the hspital for 5 days. My recovry was longer thatn most because of complacations. 7 days after my surgery the resection failed and I went septic and they had to do surgery again and I also got a ostomy bag out of it. (9 months later the revesed me) My time to heal was about 6-8 weeks before I could do much of anything. (I had a wound vac). My story doesn't turn out as good as most but I though that I should tell you.
I hope you have a mch better story than mine, and the chances are that you will.
Jim

Hey borderholic, welcome to the forum.
I just recently had hand assisted laproscopic Ileocolic resection on March 7th due to a stricture. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I go back to my doc on April 1st. He said I would be out of work for 6- 8 weeks. Since I've been home I have only taken pain meds the first night home so far. I went to Walmart tonight to get out of the house and walk around. I am on a low fiber diet until I go back to see my doc.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask. You have come to a great place full of wonderful folks that can answer your questions.

Thanks for your information. It does help when you can talk with people who have Crohn's.

You spent 5 days in the hospital. Was that because they had to wait until you were able to pass gas and go to the bathroom?

After your surgery and you woke up, how bad was the pain? I have been reading that the pain meds will constipate you. It seems that that has to hurt were you incision is when you are trying to go while your constipated?

Sorry for the strange questions, all of my other surgeries were out-patient, the only time I had to stay in the hospital was when I had a stroke. I really hate hospitals. lol

The doctor told me if there was any inflammation on my left side, he would remove that as well as the diseased area on my right. I had to go for an upper and lower GI test and it did show some inflammation on the left. My doctor is on vacation till April 7th. I am not sure what the plan is now. It is going to be a long couple of weeks.

I stayed in the hospital for 5 days because I got nauseated. I was not in pain when I woke up. They had me doped up pretty good. No problem with constipation. I have diarrhea but I'm on a low fiber diet until I go back to the doctor on April 1st. My lower back and lower belly is hurting but I think I overdid it. If it continues I'm going to call the doctor.
All in all I'm doing okay just stir crazy.