• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery soon...

Well, I've pulled up my 'big girl pants', cried buckets and am now ready to conceed that surgery is my best option for some sort of normality.
Have confirmed with my gastro's secretary that I am now willing to go under the knife and have my colon removed. Meeting with the team on Weds to discuss possible dates (Taking a break to Boston 1st for some fun girly times), but surgery looking likely for early May.
Having it done electively means that all going well it will be done laprascopically, and for the 1st time in years, I am taking control rather than my colon dictating the next move.
It feels like a huge weight has been lifted- never thought I would say that!!

Hope you're all keeping well x

ameslouise

I am taking control rather than my colon dictating the next move.
Andrea- This is a great attitude to have! You kick its ass instead of it kicking yours!

I know this has been tough for you, but IMHO, this is the right decision and you will be feeling sooooo much better after it's all over!

I'll be right there by your side! Well, cyber-bedside anyway!

Good luck - keep us posted after your consult Wed.

xo - Ames

Aw Andrea well done for making such a big descision !
I bet when u come here to update us after your op you will be saying it's the best descision you ever made!!
Good luck for the op and Boston !
Jen XX

Hi Andrea

I know that was a tough decision to make. When the surgery is over and with a speedy recovery, you will feel great!!!

Good luck and you know that we will all be here for you with plenty of support :)

Oh yeah I meant to ask who your gastro is?
Coz your in Cardiff right?
Or if you know the best one in the royal gwent , I'm gonna ask for a referral to another gastro not sure if I can transfer to Cardiff but it's worth a try coz u seem to be getting some good treatment with yours .
Ty Jen XX

Terriernut

Andrea, the very best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery! I hope all goes very well for you! I'll be thinking of you. Good luck!
Misty

The best of luck to you Andrea. Enjoy Boston and stick with that great attitude :)

Hugs

Paula
x

Hi Andrea,
Good luck with the upcoming surgery. It's great that you made a decision - I hope you get to full remission!

Congratulations on pulling up your "big girl pants"(lol, too cute) and making this rough decision. You have probably put a lot of time, thought, and a lot of pain into your decision. I sincerely hope all works out well for you! :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Welshy!

Awww hun I wish you all the luck in the world with your surgery. Good for you for taking the bull by the horns and making what in many ways is a very tough decision.

Have fun on your holiday and be sure to make the most of it, you deserve nothing less.

Thinking of you, :hug:
Dusty

Thanks all, your support really does help.
Quite ironic really that I've been feeling good the past week or so. Think my colon knows that it's soon to be dumped and is trying to make ammends!!
Had to take the day off work today, am beyond tired and been passing some blood again since last night. In all though, am in some kind of 'freaky' way, looking forward to May and getting this over with. If only I had listened back in January- this would then be all over and I'd be on my way to recovery...we live and learn!! Tomorrow we should set a date and get the wheels in motion..
Thanks again. I'm sure there will be days in the coming weeks when I question myself and my willingness and eagerness for such surgery- please at that point don't allow me to talk myself out of it lol !!
Have a good day all xx

Astra

Hey Andrea!

You're not gonna be talked out of it, it's goin ahead baby!
I'm off today, we have a rampant stomach bug in our house, something I brought home for the weekend!
I'll phone you laters
xxxx

Hey Andrea - Wishing you all the best with the upcoming surgery. Few weeks before mine, I was feeling great but I knew better. Once I made my mind that my colon was not my friend he was history.
please keep us posted

May 9th it is!!
This afternoon has been such an emotional rollercoaster, one moment relief, next the tears, and I don't know how to make them stop!
Again, time to pull myself together and get a bloody grip- this surgery IS in my best interest (my new mantra!!)

Thanks all xx

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Scary as surgery can be, you have to think that after your life will change for the better! We will be thinking of you May 9th... not too far away. Big hugs (((hugs)))

Only just seen this thread
Well done on taking control and moving forwards. I can only imagine how scary that must be. I wish you all the best for the op and that it brings you lasting relief!
Enjoy your holiday too :)

Terriernut

May 9th it is!!
This afternoon has been such an emotional rollercoaster, one moment relief, next the tears, and I don't know how to make them stop!
Again, time to pull myself together and get a bloody grip- this surgery IS in my best interest (my new mantra!!)

Thanks all xx
Andrea, I think crying like mad is normal at this point. After all, it's a big deal. You have to go thru the stages of grief. Because that's what it is. Add in a HUGE dollop of fear and it's even worse. Anyone not scared before surgery, well done, but I was petrified. Wish you were close enough to hug.
Thinking of you,
Misty

Astra

Yeah, I'd love to give you a big squashy hug too!
You're gonna be ok Andrea, you just can't see it yet cos your head is cabbaged!
I'm here for you, anytime
Will phone you tomorrow, try and chillax, you've had a rough day
xxxx

Thanks all,
Really don't know what's wrong with me! One moment it's like my heads in the clouds, the next it's under the floor boards. Extreme high and low's...must take time out this weekend me thinks!
Colon's really behaving itself right now, but I guess it's the 14 months of pred and some 'fake' feeling's of wellness. Whatever it is, within the next few months, I should start to feel like this premanently, and that is a good feeling. Certainly outweighs keeping my colon and going through the same uncertainty every other month.
Stoma nurse has been on the phone today to check in on me, and she is an angel. Really,I couldn't ask for a better team to be looking after me, sure makes the occasional feeling of doubt a lot easier to manage.
Thanks for letting me vent away here- guess it's all a bit ad hoc, but hey, that's how my heads working right now.
Roll on May 9th.....xx