• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery today

Hi guys,
I have a rectal fistula and abcess. I go in for a seton today. My first one, and I am nervous. Wish me luck.

-Barbara

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Sending mega loads of love and luck your way Barbara...:goodluck:

Thinking of you, :hug:
Dusty. xxxxxxxx

Yes, I have done sitz baths 2-3 times a day after all my rear end surgeries. For me, the baths provided a lot of relief. It also helps increase blood flow to the area to assist healing.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Ok, I've not had these kind of abscesses, but I've had lovely piles. Is it important to keep the area dry after the baths? I found a hairdryer on the lowest setting to be the gentlest way.

sawdust

They did not say anything about sitz baths. Did you guys have to do them post surgery?
It's probably worth a call to your surgeon for clarification. You might also take a look at "the pile" of papers you get sometimes. That's where I found my post-op instructions. :)

Ok, I've not had these kind of abscesses, but I've had lovely piles. Is it important to keep the area dry after the baths? I found a hairdryer on the lowest setting to be the gentlest way.
Depends how fast you can run. ;) Why does this disease treat us this way, after all the other problems? No healthy individual can understand this!

Yep its sitz baths for me. Thanks all.
I poped a 103.5 fever today. Meds brought it down to 99 or so. Anyone else have that issue after this surgery? The nurse said it was strange after a fistula surgery

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.171280,-93.275053
That's a high fever. Are you on antibiotics? I feel like if you have a fever that high after surgery, you should be on antibiotics. I had an abscess and when I had surgery they gave me antibiotics, even though I had no signs of an infection. Isn't fever considered a sign of an infection?

ameslouise

Hi Sailor - Hope you recover quickly and your surgery and the setons are a success! Get plenty of rest, hang in there, and yes, a sitz bath never hurt anyone!!

Take care of yourself!! - Amy

I had peri-anal fistulas and an abscess the size of a golf ball. 1 of the fistulas was horseshoe shape (painful and horrible) and the other fistula I could deal with. I had 2 setons put in place. I would highly recommend you do 4-5 sitz bath per day for at least a month. The fistula tract had cause that abscess. You really want to keep the anal area clean so you don't get re-infected and let the hot water drain the tract and abscess. You'll also have more blood flow to the area which will help the recovery of the fistula/abscess. I did 4-5 sitz bath per day and I also kept a hot pack under in my underwear around the clock. This really helps drainage and blood flow.

If you have any questions just message me. I thought I had 1 fistula and abscess and woke up with 2 setons in place for 2 fistulas. I had my surgery in June so I'm still in the recovery phase.

thanks everyone! The fistulas are draining but there is not much pain anymore. Looks like remicade in November so hopefully no more of these. :)