• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery tomorrow...

Well that's me in hospital now, my proctocolectomy and ileostomy scheduled for 0830 GMT.

Thanks to all of you guys that have supported me so far.

For a laugh I might try to post something tomorrow when I have my morphine drip!

Dave.

Thinking of you Dave!! It will be a few days before your stoma properly wakes up and starts talking, but I look forward to hearing about what it tells you. ;)

Enjoy the meds while you can. Keep in mind there will be setbacks along the way, so try not to get too down on things. We are here for you!!

Here's hoping that the surgery goes smoothly. Don't expect too much too soon - then if the recovery is very quick, you will be pleasantly surprised. :)

Good luck with your surgery. I had 8 laparotomies done in 7 years. Remember your body will be weak but it is up to you to force yourself to recover quick. Try to get mobile as soon as possible. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I just saw on your blog that you were told most likely you would eat a regular meal tonight. Somebody is telling you a big fib. It will probably be a couple of days before you see anything other than pure liquids, and even then it will be jelly, pudding, soup, etc. I bet you won't want anything more than that anyway.

Best wishes!!

annawato

Staff member
All the best Dave. I hope the surgery went smoothly, the drugs are plentiful and recovery is speedy. It may be two steps forward and one step backward but you'll get there in the end. Be kind to yourself but get mobile as quickly as you can. Unfortunately it does help even though it can be agony. Can't wait to hear how its all gone and how you are recovering. Don't forget to ask us about anything no matter how small or silly it may seem. We're all here for you,

Good luck Dave. Hope that you are still in a hazy daze of pain free glory. Here's to a steady recovery with more steps forward than back. Yep it's cruel that your bum hurts like mad and so does your tummy, but is kind of a relief not to have to struggle to the loo for a crap with all the tubes and wounds.

Take it easy, you've earns it.

wishing you all the best dave....

i havnt got a date yet but due into see the surgeon next month after a lot of phoning and moaning...then hopefully get a date for surgery but due to my summer hols fast approaching im hoping they will let me go on holiday first and then schedule me for when i come back.if not im kinda screwed and a lot of money out of pocket...

hope all goes well and look forward to your magical morphine induced crazy talk soon mate

Craig

Ask for an Epidural with Fentynal. Zero pain while not being snowed over. I just had this for my Colostomy surgery 2 weeks ago. The morphine will give you awful dreams.

I refused the epidural and went with a Dilaudid pump. I guess the epidurals can fail and if they do fail it takes a lot of cutting through yellow tape to get other forms of pain relief after you've had the epidural placed. Then you're sitting there feeling EVERYTHING till they can get other pain relief. Plus I'm too big of a baby to go through the epidural placement.

I told the docs I'd rather deal with the pain after surgery because I knew what that was like versus freak about the epidural and possible jump and become paralyzed (yes I realize this is delusional thinking) lol but the Dilaudid pump worked just fine.

I found out later the anesthesiologist was only pushing the epidural because he had another guy he wanted to teach to place them. NO THANKS. :)

Anyways I hope you are doing well at this point!

I got morphine after my epidural. I've heard of issues with the epidural, but I found it to be very durable. I was constantly pulling myself up in bed. The tape did roll, but never pulled the line. Couldn't imagine it be inserted while awake. I had a clear head 3 hours after surgery.

Nyx

I never had an epidural either...they gave me Demerol on IV. Horrible stuff! I had the worst hallucinations...I was glad to be off of it.

annawato

Staff member
Morphine does nothing for me but make me feel anxious and irritable - I always forget it has this effect then when its stopped I remember and its SUCH a relief. Ketamine is the way for me. And no I'm not as big as a horse! last surgery even the ketamine wasn't enough. I was just in a world of pain for 5-6 days!

Oh god sorry to hear that morphine works for me but makes me sleepy but I didn't care just wanted the pain to go away. Hope I get it this time around.

Morphine works for me but, eventually, the ends of my fingers and toes start twitching. Then I know it's time to get off it.

Hi folks, thanks for all the well wishes. The surgery went well and I have had a pretty good recovery so far. Stoma a little swollen, but a day at a time, and all that.

Have been up walking and showered myself just now.

Eating fairly well with soups and energy shakes.

Tail end hurts like hell though! Can't sit, but it's a pain I can deal with I.e predictable.

Thanks again,

Dave.

annawato

Staff member
Thats great news Dave, You seem to be progressing well. I certainly don't envy those fo you who need the rear end surgery. Ouch!
but like you say, pain, when its predictable and you know its not doing damage is a lot easier to bear. Still painful but understandable. I know after my surgery a lot of the pain I was having was from wind - once I realised this I could move through it and found it a lot easier to put up with. I hope things continue to improve excellently. (not sure if thats a word but sounds good!)

Hi Dave

Sounds like things are going pretty well. It's not surprising that the stoma is a bit swollen still, it's been through quite a lot of manhandling. Good to hear that you are up and around and eating; you need to get that stoma working. How is the "output"?

Your butt will hurt for a while, but that will fade as it heals.

We've all been thinking of you. :hug:

Terriernut

Glad things are going well Dave! Keep us updated on your progress. Sorry about the back end pain, hope things steadily improve.

Glad your up and about, and out the other side of the op. what can I say, but, it's a pain in the ass! Ask then to get you a pressure cushion from maternity, makes sitting a little easier.

ah dave sorry to hear the tail pipe is louping but i reckon it was expected...you could ride yer bike with out the saddle for awhile lol

Nyx

Glad to hear things went well that things are progressing as predicted...continuing to wish you well!

Hi Dave, hope your surgery went well. I have had my ileostomy sense 06, best decission I ever made. When you begin to taste the hospital food, you know your getting better. Take Care Bob E from the foot hills of Maine

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Reading Dave's blog it looks like he has had a set back. Hope you are doing better now Dave!

Guys, thanks. Yes my first attempt at the ileostomy resulted in a section of herniated small bowel about 5 inches from the ileostomy and I was in agony for 3 days before they decided I needed an emergency revision.

So I now have an extra 6 inch scar down my middle where they had to open me up to see what was going on. Now wishing I had had open surgery from beginning but maybe it was just bad luck.

To add I insult to injury it took 5.5 hours in the recovery room to find any pain relief that worked. Eventually 3mg of ketamine per hour and a max dose of Oxy-codon worked, but it seemed like a lifetime to get to that point.

Since then have had terrible colic pains as the gut has been very slowly waking up. Another night of agony eventually led to finding a combination of Buscopan and oxy-codon to provide the relief I need when this happens.

However, on the positive side, the new stoma is nice and pink unlike the purple, blood starved little bastard left after the first procedure. Also my initial scars (laparoscopic entry sites and anus wound are healing very well) I have been taking arnica, and while I generally think homeopathy is largely baloney, I have quite a lot of personal anecdotal evidence arnica, for whatever reason, works for me.

Sending out good vibes from my hospital bed to my fellow crohnies.

Dave.

annawato

Staff member
Dave so sorry to hear you had to have another surgery and that you had to endure that awful agony in recovery until they found the right pain relief. I know it well. Then having to endure the colic, you poor thing.
What have you been taking the Arnica for? I'm curious for my next time. :)
Sending out good vibes to you from Oz - and good health and speedy recovery,
:heart: anna

What have you been taking the Arnica for? I'm curious for my next time. :)
Sending out good vibes to you from Oz - and good health and speedy recovery,
Hi Anna, thanks for your kind reply. I am taking Arnica because it is claimed that it promotes healing of scars and bruising. I have used it a few times particularly during major dental work and it does seem to speed up my recovery. My sister also thinks it has benefitted her during her 3 cesarian sections. It is completely harmless, and very cheap so I think it is worth taking. Of course, you can't really prove if it makes a difference, but that doesn't matter to me.

Best wishes to you,

Dave .

Terriernut

Dave, I'm glad you now have a slightly 'blushing' pink stoma now. However I am very sorry about the pain management problem you went through! That must have been hell. I know many of us here can relate to it.

As for homeopathy, if it works for you it works! No proof needed. After all, we crohnies need all the help we can get!

May each day now become better and better for you. Please be patient with yourself while you heal. Your body has been through a lot and probably will not want to go at speed for a while!

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Dave, Just read you are going home. That is great news hope things continue to go well for you! :dance:

Thanks! Yep I'm going home today. Still a few aches and pains, and very very tired a lot of the time. I have to say I was not prepared for the level of upset this surgery has caused my body. Just need to dig deep and think of the benefits it will bring in time.

Many thanks to those who've supported me thus far.

hey dave good to hear your picking up mate,im interested in this arnica stuff,might need to give it a go as i came a cropper off my bike at Glentress on sunday and have several bruised parts haha
im still waiting to see the surgeon but due next week so hopefully i get some indication on when im in for the chop,
keep well mate

Craig

annawato

Staff member
yay! home! That is good news. Feeling tired is pretty normal after this type of surgery and particularly given the complications you've had. I've been reading and enjoying your blog too. Thankyou.

Hi Dave,
Just wondering how you are testing on. Hope everything is behaving and doing what it's supposed to. Also can share the rear end pain experience, but as you said, at least it is fairly predictable.

Stay strong.
Janette

Hi Dave,
Just wondering how you are testing on. Hope everything is behaving and doing what it's supposed to. Also can share the rear end pain experience, but as you said, at least it is fairly predictable.

Stay strong.
Janette
Thanks Janette,

I am getting on fairly well, progress is steady but better each day.

The tail-end is healing well and I no longer feel discomfort unless sitting on hard seats for a long time. Wouldn't like to sit on a bike saddle yet though!

Best wishes to you,

Dave.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Dave, I just read your blog entry and I have to say you had one of those murphy's law events. Glad to read you are making progress.

hey dave,glad your healing well,i had a meeting with the surgeon on thursday,guess what.....never got to see him,just as im about to walk into the room to see him,he gets called away to emergency surgery,spoke with his colleague of sorts and said my piece about being mucked about etc,asked if surgery would be put back so i could go on holiday in the summer or i would loose my holiday and deposit as i would not be fir to go or get insurance,he said it shouldnt be a problem but will need to run it by the surgeon so fingers crossed
might catch you for that bike ride before i go in to be spliced and diced...

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Hey Dave,
Just read your blog update. Sounds like things are well for you. Glad to hear it! Congratulations on your anniversary!

Hi minionaire

I do hope that you are healing well and that everyday you are getting stronger. Sending you healing thoughts.

Janette
Hi Jannette,

Thanks so much! Yes I am doing really well! The last 6 weeks have been good, every day feeling a little stronger and I'm now back to work. It's funny, I didn't quite realise how often I was getting pain and having to rush to the loo before! Alf has definitely become a close friend.

annawato

Staff member
Hi Dave, so glad to hear that everything is going well and that Alf is behaving himself. All the best,