• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery too take place soon

surgery too take place soon

hi guys and gals

havent been on here for a while was told yesterday by the surgeon that i have too have surgery within the next 6 weeks, i was diagnose in sept last year and have lived on modulen and still on it, with a little food and aza,and thought i was doin so well, so i thought but no other problems have arisen and been told meds not doin wot they should so they have decided to operate, so you can imagine im terrified ,and very emotional ,and angry ,might have to have a colostomy he will do his best to rejoin if he can, been off work for the last 5 months and now looks its goin to be even longer, i just want to feel like my oldself ,and cant belive how this desease has affected me and my life, was once a happy woman and now i feel like a grumpy old one (54 yrs) all my plans for the future all on hold ,and when family and friends ask how i am i smile and say im fine ,but inside im not, hide a lot from my hubby and kids as i dont want to be a burden ,i just hope after this operation i will start to feel like my self, sorry if i have gone on but i just felt i had to gert this off my chest.thanks for reading this and if you have any advice for me it will be really appreciated. hope all of you well.
thanks againx

Terriernut

Sandra, I'm sorry that the meds havent been doing what they should be. A resection should hopefully do the trick for you. If you have to have a temp ostomy...it wont be the end of the world, believe me! Surgery is scary, but once out the other side, you will be loving it I hope. The diseased part once gone can be such a relief to our bodies!

I wish you well!

Sandra, I'm sorry that the meds havent been doing what they should be. A resection should hopefully do the trick for you. If you have to have a temp ostomy...it wont be the end of the world, believe me! Surgery is scary, but once out the other side, you will be loving it I hope. The diseased part once gone can be such a relief to our bodies!

I wish you well!
thank you soo much for your kind words and yes i just want this surgery to be done with and then start gettin my life back too normal, hope you are ok and thanks again much love sandra xxxx

Angrybird

Hi Sandra, I am sorry to hear about the surgery but as Misty has said it can be such a relief when the nasty bit has been taken out. I assume the doc will be hoping that this can all be done via key hole as this makes recovery that much easier. Sending lots of hugs :hug: and I hope things go well, please keep us updated.

Hi Sandra, I am sorry to hear about the surgery but as Misty has said it can be such a relief when the nasty bit has been taken out. I assume the doc will be hoping that this can all be done via key hole as this makes recovery that much easier. Sending lots of hugs :hug: and I hope things go well, please keep us updated.
hi thanks for kind words, no im afraid they cant do keyhole surgery on me, as i have inflamtion down the right side and then narrowing further up so they have to do it the other way, and doctor has said it is quite bad so i just want them to send for me real soon.hope you are keepin well and yes will keep you updated thanks again x love and best wishes xxx

Hi Sandra, sorry to hear this. Recovery time is about 6 weeks providing everything goes to plan. Now here's the thing, meds wise IMO having gone through surgery 3 times (about to be 4) its very important to be on something that will stop the disease recurring. For me its come back twice within 6 weeks of surgery.
I'm on Humira now & have been assured that I can stay on it all through the process, its performed minor miracles for me.
Its food for thought for you, some people have surgery & have years of remission so I dont want to worry you unnecessarily. Really hope everything goes as planned for you.
Best Wishes
Grant

Fingers crossed that they call for you soon and you can start to get your life back again.

Thinking of you.

Xxxxxxx

Hi Sandra,

I have thought about you a few times, I hoped things were going well for you. I found myself is a similar position to you last year. I had an ileostomy rather then the colostomy. I had my colon removed and I can honestly say it was the best decision I could have made. I would never have it reversed even if I could. It isn't pleasant - surgery never is - but when you recover you forget - a bit like giving birth! You can then get on with your life and be back in control.

It is a strange thing but we seem to get the strength to cope with this disease. Once upon a time I think I would never have imagined I could. If I can help in any way please let me know.

Wishing you loads of luck,

Kaz xxx

Sandra....

Hi,
I am currently in a flare-up myself, I'm 45 years YOUNG and have had Crohn's disease for 20 some odd years and never been under the knife....yet. :dance: I am going for a colonscopy this Thursday and that will determine what is happening, possibly it spread to my colon or just a partial block...after that we will determine the future. Depression is such a factor when your dealing with this disease. Let's face it we have lots of time sitting around living inside our own heads.:ywow: People who don't have this don't get what we are truly going through, oh their intentions and concerns are great, but they just don't really get what we are struggling with and we really try not to let on either. It's our own suffering....but finding this forum has really let me know that I'm not alone and that others are worse off and can simply empathize with my condition.:ysmile: I so appreciate that! Good luck with your surgery and know that you aren't alone....keep checking in with your crohnies!!!! We know what your going through! :heart:

Hi Sandra,

I have thought about you a few times, I hoped things were going well for you. I found myself is a similar position to you last year. I had an ileostomy rather then the colostomy. I had my colon removed and I can honestly say it was the best decision I could have made. I would never have it reversed even if I could. It isn't pleasant - surgery never is - but when you recover you forget - a bit like giving birth! You can then get on with your life and be back in control.

It is a strange thing but we seem to get the strength to cope with this disease. Once upon a time I think I would never have imagined I could. If I can help in any way please let me know.

Wishing you loads of luck,

Kaz xxx
hiya kaz, lovely to hear from you yes i have often thought how u were gettin on too, such a lot to tell you it would be such a long thread wish i could speak to you , but yes meds not working and they say i have it quite bad, so hence the plan for surgery, been a bit of a wreck this weekend but im feelin a lot calmer today just want it done now, and have thought so wot if i need colostomy or illieostomie then so be it , your words have given me strength and made me cry too ,thanks ever so much, hope all is well with you .take care much love
from
sandra xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
I am currently in a flare-up myself, I'm 45 years YOUNG and have had Crohn's disease for 20 some odd years and never been under the knife....yet. :dance: I am going for a colonscopy this Thursday and that will determine what is happening, possibly it spread to my colon or just a partial block...after that we will determine the future. Depression is such a factor when your dealing with this disease. Let's face it we have lots of time sitting around living inside our own heads.:ywow: People who don't have this don't get what we are truly going through, oh their intentions and concerns are great, but they just don't really get what we are struggling with and we really try not to let on either. It's our own suffering....but finding this forum has really let me know that I'm not alone and that others are worse off and can simply empathize with my condition.:ysmile: I so appreciate that! Good luck with your surgery and know that you aren't alone....keep checking in with your crohnies!!!! We know what your going through! :heart:
hiya
i just wanted to thank you for your words of support ,some made me cry because wot you have said is so true and thought it was just me who had these thoughts, when i think back this time last year was lookin forward to 2 weeks in sunny barbados and really loved that island and then now i just feel my life is fallin apart, all my hopes and dreams just gone, so i have got to start looking to the future and have this op and then get back to gettin all those dreams back on track, just cant belive how this sodden desease effects you, my brother has had this for 32 years and i was always there to support him but its only now that i realise wot he has been goin through, does sound sound terrible, anyway thanks for you reply and hope all is well with you, take care and love to hear from you again .big hugs xxxx

much love
sandra xxx

Astra

Aw Sandra, hoping this is 'the one'
the one that's gonna give you years of health & happiness!
take care
xxx

Depression....

Sandra,
I will say prayers for your quick recovery! You deserve it! Did yoga today!!! It was just 15 minutes but I felt like I turned a corner! :rosette1: I also made breakfast and supper for my husband......what a day! One day at a time right?! Glad my post helped you out......talk soon!
Lisa

Hi Sandra, sorry to hear this. Recovery time is about 6 weeks providing everything goes to plan. Now here's the thing, meds wise IMO having gone through surgery 3 times (about to be 4) its very important to be on something that will stop the disease recurring. For me its come back twice within 6 weeks of surgery.
I'm on Humira now & have been assured that I can stay on it all through the process, its performed minor miracles for me.
Its food for thought for you, some people have surgery & have years of remission so I dont want to worry you unnecessarily. Really hope everything goes as planned for you.
Best Wishes
Grant
hiya grant
thanks for your message ,my pre op letter just landed on the mat thats for the 31st of this month, so gettin quite nervous, at the mo im on the modulen and 100mg of aza and the surgeon has told me he will take me of this once he has done the op, just want to say thanks again it means a lot to have someone who has been through it, and thank god for this forum .hope all is well in the world with you .
best wishes
sandra x

Terriernut

Hiya Sandra! Just wanted to come in and say good luck for the appt on the 31st. So many of us have had to face surgery. And it is never easy. The only thing you can do is look forward, not back. It sounds like you are in a real bad way physically. When that happens its quite difficult for the surgeons and Drs to say exactly what will happen during the surgery because they never know until they get in there. This just causes you more stress! Like you need that!

If you need a stoma (and that may not happen!) do some research first so you are prepared. If you look under the General Discussion, there is a subforum called the stoma subforum. Some of us there have temp ostomies some permanent. But it will help you just in case you get one. You will find most of us are pretty damn happy that we have our lives back. Alot of us had emergency surgery and didnt get any preparation whatsoever. (me)

I am wishing you a future full of health, happiness, and Barbados!!!
:kiss:

Hiya Sandra! Just wanted to come in and say good luck for the appt on the 31st. So many of us have had to face surgery. And it is never easy. The only thing you can do is look forward, not back. It sounds like you are in a real bad way physically. When that happens its quite difficult for the surgeons and Drs to say exactly what will happen during the surgery because they never know until they get in there. This just causes you more stress! Like you need that!

If you need a stoma (and that may not happen!) do some research first so you are prepared. If you look under the General Discussion, there is a subforum called the stoma subforum. Some of us there have temp ostomies some permanent. But it will help you just in case you get one. You will find most of us are pretty damn happy that we have our lives back. Alot of us had emergency surgery and didnt get any preparation whatsoever. (me)

I am wishing you a future full of health, happiness, and Barbados!!!
:kiss:
hi
just to let you know everything has changed, im gettion operated on the 1st of feb got to have my pre op this afternoon, thanks for the advice im goin to have a look at it now. will keep you updated
love sandra xx

Fingers crossed that they call for you soon and you can start to get your life back again.

Thinking of you.

Xxxxxxx
thanks you crosssing you finger has worked i get operated on 1st feb and go for my preop this afternoon, thanks again.

love
sandra xxx

:stinks:j
Aw Sandra, hoping this is 'the one'
the one that's gonna give you years of health & happiness!
take care
xxx
just wanted to say thanks, having my op done on 1st feb ,things moving very fast which im glad just want to feel well again.hope all is well with you x

love
sandra

Good luck Sandra.

My fingers are still crossed for you to have a problem free op and a speedy recovery.

Love and squishy hugs. :hug:

Shazz