• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Surgery

Hi all, just got home from surgery. It was back on Feb 20th 2012, after the fact i ended up with a NG Tube twice because of a sleepy bowel. They reconnected me and i no longer have a bag. It really helped at the time but i dont think i will miss it. I am wondering if anyone has had the similiar situation where the bowel was asleep for 14 days, and if there is a chance of the bowel going back to sleep. That kinda scares me . The only drug im on now is 5mg Prednisone from before and am slowely weening off it. I would appreciate any help and info . Thanks

Terriernut

Bowels normally dont go to sleep unless they've been operated on, so I think you are probably safe!

Glad you are home! And glad that you are feeling good about things. Long may you stay healthy!

surgery

HI Terriernut, I did just have surgery , they reconnected my small Intestine (old stoma) to my rectum . All of my colon was removed last summer. I guess i didnt explain myself properally. The bowel had concentration problems in the hospital,shall we say. Anyways my question was ....Is there a chance of it going back to sleep now that ive been home?

Terriernut

No, I got it the first time. The bowel sleeps right after surgery. Sometimes for 24 hours, sometimes alot longer. It wont go to sleep again unless its traumatized by surgery or severe injury. Or G d forbid, terrible loss of blood.

You wouldnt have been sent home in the first place if they thought your bowels wouldnt work.

HI yes ur right, and the bowel so far is working well. Even my incision feels better than my first 2 surgeries. Just mostly getting up and down. Otherwise feeling good.

Terriernut

And bending over!? And laughing, and coughing, and ... Yeah.

It should be fine now. It may get 'stopped up' from pain meds, but generally it should work. If it stops...go to A&E. Cause that would be a blockage, not the bowel stopping. I hope it continues to go well for you!!!! (it took a long time for your bowels...'lazy bowels' my surgeon called them...cheeky cow)

Other than sleepy bowel how are you feeling?. I'd love to hear about your progress. I had 80cm of Colon removed 26 nov and hoping to reconnect in 6 months.
Did you have any disease in small bowel? How many BMs you having daily. ? Are you on any maintenance medications? Did they do open cut or laparoscopic?

I'm feeling so great now with the ileostomy and I'm worried I'll go backwards when I have the reversal? Any insight would be much appreciated.

surgery

Yes Terriernut the bending over is a little rough. I have no problem with the laughing and Im not sure if its because I stayed in the Hospital for 18 days, and once i got hm a few days ago i was already on the mend. Coughing and sneezing i try to avoid at all costs. My only meds im on are 5mg of prednisone. Came hm this time round with no meds ,i was very lucky.So there should be no constipation, and i make sure i am drinking lots of water and gatorade.Cheeky cow ....I Love It. I will keep ya informed. And to Kela80 Im getting around alot easier than i thought i would no real pain in my incision area. Feeling quite well considering its my 4th surgery in just under 1 yr and i aint no young chick....lol. All of my colon except some near the end was removed so they had enough to reconnect me , it was aftr 7 mths. No disease in small bowel, only my colon which was not to b saved.After being hm now since Thurs .so 4 days now i am not having near as much Diarehea, and about 4 movements per day and only got up once last night . So far so good. All soft foods, chewed well with my protein drinks. No meds at hm either.Ohh it was def a large incision if only i had the laparo. I have a larger hole than most where the stoma use to be but in time that will heal from the inside out, for now i keep it bandadged.I too felt sooo good with my friendly bag, i called it my built in air bag. And if i had, had to keep it i would have had no problem (the boyfriend )would have , but i did have the opportunity and i took it and so far its been great. Spring is on its way and i say new hope new beginning. I can keep u updated on how it all goes , dont ever hesitate to write me. Thanks.

Last edited: