• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Suture anchors/clamps/pins and MREs

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi,

Something popped into my mind and just wondering if anyone already has experience with this... from info I've found, I think it's okay but wondering if anyone has experience with it (Maya??)

S's shoulder surgery will involve the placement of suture anchors/clamps, which will stay in his shoulder. If these are made of metal, will this be a problem for future MREs?

Is this something I should discuss with his ortho and/or GI?

Maya142

Staff member
Hmmm...I'm not sure. My husband has his hips replaced, but they were still able to do an MRI on him. He just had to tell them before the MRI.

I'd check with the orthopedist.

Good luck!! I hope the surgery goes smoothly and S's recovery is relatively easy. With all my husband's surgeries, we've found that if the pain is under control, he recovers faster, so I'd have a plan for pain management.

my little penguin

Staff member
Artificial hips are typical made from titanium - or cobalt
Both are biocompatible
Titanium is not magnetic so not an issue
You can have magnetic metal and have an Mre but the metal disrupts the magnetic field and can cause it to not be as clear .

Tess you should be able to find out which alloys they are using
I would expect titanium sutures/clamps -possible cobalt( typically cheaper and not used as much ) or composite made from powder .

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks! :)

From what I've read, there are bioabsorbable and nonabsorbable anchors and both types seem fairly equal in preventing future dislocations. But, I haven't been able to find the material of the nonabsorbable nor how often one type is used over the other.

Seems like an email to the surgeon couldn't hurt!

:)

Tesscorm

Staff member
Surgery is Aug. 17. And, it just happens he's scheduled for an MRE the week before. Plus, his GI follow-up is two days before his surgery. I'm glad all will be done within a couple weeks.

I have another question for his GI (actually, will add it to the surgeon's email as well)... his next remi infusion is four days after his surgery. Maybe it would be better to delay two or three days?? Although, I don't know if delaying a couple of days would really make any difference?? (Aside from possible shoulder pain/discomfort)

my little penguin

Staff member
I know when Ds had his tonsils /adenoids out we delayed humira by at least a week
He was every two weeks at the time
The ent wanted to give his body more time to heal
Healing is very slow on biologics
All skin biopsies Ds has had /mole removals et too a very very long time to heal so please be prepared

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks for the warning. I've been told shoulder surgery recovery can be quite painful. :( I'm hoping it's not too rough for him and doesn't take a very long time. Especially as he'll be leaving to go back to school just over two weeks after surgery. :( We're going to get him moved back (same apartment, so more just clothes, etc.) before his surgery so he won't have much to do when he returns to school.

As his remi levels were recently tested and were close to 12, I'm hoping we can safely move from a six to seven week cycle. If this is the case, then I'll certainly move his infusion out by, at least, a week. I'll discuss this with his GI at the follow-up.

Maya142

Staff member
M went to school two weeks after her GJ tube placement surgery. Not fun, but she managed ok, even on pain meds. Unfortunately, her site got infected within a couple weeks at school and that was NOT fun. Tell him to be very careful and watch closely for infections.

I would imagine moving to 7 weeks just the one time will be no big deal. But, as far as I remember, we were told with an arthroscopic surgery, M's Remicade schedule would stay the same (but they did want to schedule the surgery in the middle of the Remi cycle).

Good luck!

Best of luck with the surgery! Hope all goes well. I know my mother has pins and screws in her back and is fine in an MRI

Tesscorm

Staff member
No worries about anchors and MREs - anchors are made of plastic. :) And, ortho has no concerns about remicade 3 days after surgery... We will have GI apptmt 2 days before surgery and a delay (or lengthening in cycle) is still something I'll ask GI, especially as his remi levels were more than sufficient at last levels test... so we'll see about remi date.

Now I have a new worry... :( And, I know it's probably silly, and if S hadn't mentioned it and I hadn't googled the procedure (like I really needed that detail?!?!? :ybatty:), I'd be much better off! :ymad: At his pre-op today, they told him they rank post-surgery pain as mild, moderate and severe. His type of surgery is ranked at the severe end of severe. :( S has the option of having a nerve block (at least, S seemed to believe he ad the option to choose yes or no?). S told me there are risks of permanent arm numbness but the risk is very low. Of course, believing there is the choice, I've read a bit about it (stopped because the site I found had pictures, diagrams, etc and it was freaking me out a bit! :lol:). On the other hand, it also seems to be very common and done routinely with this type of surgery. It's used to lessen the amount of anesthesia given and post-operative pain medication, reducing those risks (which is a good thing). Of course, S is all for it, said the risk is so low, he'd rather avoid the pain.

Ugh, I just wish I didn't know about it. :( I hadn't been too worried about this surgery... thinking arthroscopic, three little cuts, how bad, risk-wise, could it be???

Anything you know that I should know?? :ack:

Maya142

Staff member
I only know that nerve blocks are quite common - used at a lot of hospitals now quite routinely. Definitely for hips and I'd imagine for shoulders. My husband had one for his last hip replacements and it definitely helped a lot. He needed way less pain medicine.

I also would not get hung up on if they say pain will be moderate or severe. In fact, I don't think it's good to tell someone it will be the severe end of severe! That will just make poor S anticipate the pain and anxiety and tension will make it worse. Of course, it's good to know a little bit but they shouldn't have been specific -- poor kid (and poor mom)!

People deal with the pain differently and you might be surprised. My younger daughter has a very hard time, even with minor surgery. My husband, on the other hand, has been fine within days after major surgeries (multiple). It REALLY depends and they will be well prepared.

I would not be afraid to speak up and tell them his pain isn't controlled if that's the case. They can always switch the pain med if necessary or up the dose. Also tell him to speak up if he gets sick from it -- for example, my daughter got very sick with Vicodin but did great on Oxycodone or Morphine.

Remind me -- is he being kept overnight? We found that staying a night or two always helps (IV pain meds/pain pump) but I don't know if they do that for arthroscopic surgeries.

Good luck!! I hope it all goes smoothly!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks Maya! :) It's difficult when they go to these apptmts on their own and you're left with their version of what's been discussed... But, now I'm thinking it is exactly as you said, a routine part of these surgeries...

After speaking with S a bit more and then finding the paperwork he'd left sitting on the steps (he'd forgotten about them! :eek:)... I think some of the info he'd shared was related to a study the hospital is running. I forget what it's called now but they are testing the comparability of post-op pain level using a different type of pain management, still an injection but not exactly a nerve block, and with lower risks. I think this is the 'choice' he was offered, not just whether or not to have the nerve block in itself. (does that make sense?? :))

It's the choices that mess me up! I always feel they give you a choice when the risks are worse! And it's always hard to choose 'yes' to anything with risks! But, if not given the choice... well... head happily in the sand building castles! :D

And, agree with you, Maya, re the 'severe end of severe'! Ugh, how is that helpful?!? I agree with preparing you for a certain level of pain but... oh well. I guess we're now prepared for the worst anyway, so things can only be 'better' than expected. ;)

Unless things change, he will not be staying the night...

I hate that, next week, I can only take one day off! It just happens that my co-worker is away and one of us must be there! :ymad: I've already insisted that I must take Wednesday off but, now anticipating the pain, I'm so upset that I can't be there Thursday, Friday. :( Hubby will be there most of the time, so it's not like S will be totally on his own but, I hate not being there for him. :ymad: Ugh, just nothing I can do about it... bad timing. :(

How stressful! Bet they think they are helping giving too many details but sometimes ignorance is bliss. Hope it all goes well

Tesscorm

Staff member
Seriously, this guy cannot catch a break! Went to his last hockey game bfr surgery on Thursday, last minute of game, other team got sucky and slashed at legs (with hockey sticks) at a couple of them! One being S! :( He iced ankle at home then said it was sore but tolerable and wanted to go with team for wings, etc. And stay at friend's. Called at 4am that he needed to go to ER, foot was throbbing and killing! Thankfully, nothing was broken but he has a bad sprain. I was so worried - how wud he hv managed with a fracture, crutches and shoulder surgery!? Especially as he leaves for school in three weeks! So we dodged the worst of it!! His teammate did, unfortunately, end up with a fracture in his foot. :( Disgusting! Outside of a game, this would be assault but, in hockey, apparently it's 'tolerated'!! Makes me so mad! Anyway, he is on crutches but I'm thinking he'll be able to step on it by Wednesday. And, somehow, I need to get him downtown for GI apptmt on Monday... Ugh!

Btw, to keep things interesting, daughters bf broke up on Thursday too, she's devastated. MIL is staying with us for a few days as she moves, have her stuff all over house and she's full of 'advice' :lol:...

Maya142

Staff member
Oh no!! Poor S! That seems crazy, that it's allowed in hockey. And dangerous!

Does he have to be on crutches for his sprain? When is his surgery?

Tesscorm

Staff member
This type of behaviour isn't really 'allowed' but once you allow legal 'hitting' (sounds crazy eh?), the line between what's allowed and not becomes very blurred and easy to cross. He's playing in a non-contact league now but, after years of this sort of behaviour being 'tolerated', it continues to rear it's head even in non-contact leagues. I used to absolutely dread some of his contact games when he was younger! :(

His surgery is Wednesday, so still a few days away. And, no, normally a sprain doesn't require crutches but, I this one is bad enough that he still can't put his foot down at all. I'm a little surprised that it happened Thursday evening and he still can't put any weight at all on it but we'll see how it goes... Worst thing, we'll have the surgeon look at it on Wednesday! :lol:

Yikes--just a little going on at your house this week! :eek:

Hope his ankle improves a lot over the next few days, so that he can concentrate on the shoulder surgery.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Yep, it's been a bit crazy! :rof: Our house is usually very calm and routine but, last couple of days... :yfaint:

My MIL is 90 and is already overwhelmed with the move alone, she comes over and finds daughter crying off-on because of BF, wakes to find out we've been at ER and S is coming home on crutches, is a bit afraid of dogs and we have two big ones! Friday morning, she decided to have a bath instead of shower and then couldn't get out! :yfaint: I wake hearing my husband speaking 'loudly' to his mom and sounding very frustrated, asking 'why a bath and not a shower? You never have baths, why now?' I'm thinking she wants to have one but my husband is insisting she has a shower... Then he comes to wake me (I'd gone back to bed after ER), fairly annoyed and I find daughter and friend trying to get MIL out of bathtub! :yfaint: Just what I wanted to wake up and do! :ack: And she's asking why our tub is so deep (it's not!)... :ywow:

S stayed in bed all day trying to sleep because he'd been up all night... everytime one of the dogs came near my MIL, she'd yell out!... He's asking me 'what is going on down there?!?'...

Our vacuum broke yesterday, so we had to use an old industrial one that's as loud as a jet engine... S is asking WTH we're doing because it's so loud and so much commotion in the house... MIL is asking 'is this what it's like here all the time? And if we bought a vacuum like hers, it would be better.' :ywow:

To distract herself, my daughter decides to invite four friends over and they're going to make pizza ... MIL can't understand why they're all sleeping over ('even the boy?' :lol:)... and, what do we mean they'll all sleep on the couch and floor! :rof:

It's been interesting...:ybatty:

Maya142

Staff member
Sounds like a rough couple of days :eek:! I hope everything calms down and the surgery goes smoothly!

I also hope S takes time to REST after the surgery (and before school) -- I know how stubborn young adults can be ;)! I'd ask the doc if he can use heat/ice and have those on hand, just in case. I'm sure they will give him pain meds and hopefully everything will be under control.

We also found having something to look forward to -- a tv show you want to watch on Netflix for example, or a season of his favorite show on DVD -- it can make the recovery seem faster. Anything to pass the time while resting!

Good luck!

It really stinks that this happened, especially now. I would definitely let the orthopedist know Monday if he is still on crutches-- maybe the doc could check it.

You do need crutches in a severe sprain. Did his ankle get hurt when it was hit by a hockey stick? That sounds like an unusual mechanism for a sprain. Usually sprains happen when there is a twisting or rolling motion. Perhaps that happened in response to being hit?

Hoping his ankle recovers quickly and his shoulder surgery goes well!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks for reminding me!!! A friend's husband recently had shoulder surgery and he has some sort of shoulder ice wrap! I am going to borrow it... I'd forgotten but you just reminded me to call her tomorrow! :)

You're so right about being stubborn... he just went out to a friends'. They're just going to stay in but there are a few friends going... I know he'll be up and about. I warned him to please, please be careful and not slip! But, I felt sorry for him, he'd had all sorts of plans for this weekend because he knew he'd be 'out of commission' for a while after the surgery...

I did speak to surgeon about pain meds, he told me he would give him 'something' (I forget what) as he's aware that S can't have nsaids.

And, yes, thank God for Netflix and laptops!! :D

Tesscorm

Staff member
xmdmom - both his GI and ortho are in the same hospital... As we'll be there for his GI apptmt on Monday, I'd thought we'd go to their ER dept if he still needs crutches to walk. If the ER doctor thinks it's necessary, he can call his ortho at the same time???

The local ER doctor didn't explain much but said the impact hit his ankle ligaments and then S walking/standing on it for two hours afterwards worsened the inflammation. He said the ligaments were badly sprained and to use crutches and stay off it for a week. S didn't say anything about a roll, just that the player slashed him. (The doctor didn't seem worried, even when we mentioned surgery on Wednesday, and I was so relieved it wasn't broken, I didn't ask anything more.)

Maya142

Staff member
If his ankle is very painful, you could ask for Voltaren gel. It is an NSAID, but it's topical so it's not as bad for the gut. And I'm sure if S's IBD is controlled, it would be fine.

My kiddo hurt her hip somehow in the winter (we're still not quite sure if it was an injury or an arthritis flare), but anyway, she was told to stay on crutches for a week to rest it. It REALLY helped! She had to use crutches (or a cane) all the time though -- even when she got up to use the bathroom! But the extra rest made a big difference.

Tesscorm

Staff member
S has used voltaren in the past without a problem. :) We suggested it last night but ER had given him some Tylenol 2s so he was okay with just that. It hurt to just touch his ankle so he didn't want to be rubbing anything on it.

So far, S has been using the crutches... the challenge will be once it starts to feel just a little better. ;) But, if I can keep him down till Wednesday, I don't think he'll be walking around much for a few days after surgery...

It's still four more days till surgery so I'm pretty confident it should be healed enough that walking short distances won't be a problem. Silly details that young adults don't consider but if he still can't walk well, how will we get him from the car, into the house and up the stairs?!? If the surgery is as painful as we've been told, it would be horrible to have to limp or 'hop' each step! Both are on the left side so we won't be able to hold him up on the sore ankle side...

Maya142

Staff member
Yes - I was thinking crutches and a shoulder surgery don't really mix! I would actually suggest a cane for those days. His ankle should be better by then and he might be able to walk on it with some help. A cane would be in the opposite hand -- if it's his left ankle, then his right hand and that would also save his left shoulder.

You could also try an OTC ankle brace and see if that helps, once it's a bit better (and doesn't hurt to touch).

Good luck Tess!! Surgery is always a bit scary, even when you're told it's not a huge surgery.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Oh Tess, when it rains there, it's a hurricane! You poor thing! I feel for you with all that's going on. If your son can't walk tomorrow, I'd recommend looking into a knee scooter. He puts the bent knee of the bad ankle on the scooter and can push himself around. My husband who has a bad ankle and is between two surgeries is finding this more doable than crutches when his shoulder starts killing him from too much crutching.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks Carol. It's getting a bit better - he can put his foot flat on ground now and even put some weight on it.

My husband has a cane that he'd used when his knee was hurting him and we had S try it a bit tonight. He's actually been pretty good about staying off it and that's probably helped quite a bit. Thank God for those war games keeping him glued to the computer - it's been a long time since I've heard 'left, left, left!!.... sniper, sniper!!... BACK, BACK, BACK!!...' coming from his bedroom! :rof:

Tesscorm

Staff member
All done and all went well! :D He was not admitted; had surgery at 11ish and we left hospital by 3:30. :) He feels totally fine right now but... the nerve block is just beginning to wear off plus he's already taken two percocets. They told us to start on pain meds as soon as he began to feel any tingling in his arm. So far, you wouldn't know he'd had surgery but, I know that'll change in a few hours.

He needs to wear a sling 24/7 for the next three weeks and then, for the following three weeks, only at night and at any other time there's a risk his arm/shoulder might get bumped (ie crowded place, etc.).

I think he is DONE with doctors, tests, hospitals... he's been at a doctor apptmt, test or ER visit six times in the the last 10 days! :eek: (Only a couple more follow-ups to go...)

I do have a question about collapsing veins that's happened a couple of times, today and at a test last week, but I'll post it in S's 'remicade' thread so I can keep note of it in case it comes up again...

Maya142

Staff member
So glad the surgery went well. Also glad that he's staying ahead of the pain -- we've found it's hard to get it under control once it builds up.

Hope the rest of his recovery goes smoothly! Percocet might bother his stomach -- my daughters had nausea and constipation with it. But it did work very well. We tried to give it with food whenever possible.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Yes, I've warned him about the constipation and told him to try to stay on top of it before it becomes an issue (if possible) - told him to drink lots of water and 'munch' on a bit of bran buds as he's watching tv. They didn't suggest anything much for it (with my daughter's recent surgery, her doctor prescribed dulcolax) other than Milk of Magnesia if he hasn't had a BM in 3 days...

And, I'll tell him to have them with food as well to minimize the nausea. Thanks!

Maya142

Staff member
Wanted to add if he does get very nauseous, they can always switch pain meds. I bet he'll be fine, but just in case...

We use Miralax or Milk of Magnesia with pain meds. Milk of Magnesia definitely works better and both my girls didn't have issues with it (no cramping or anything like that).

DustyKat

Super Moderator
So fab to hear all went well Tess! :):):)

I hope all goes continues to go well with S’s recovery and that his pain is easily controlled post block! :hug:

In my thoughts. :hug:

Glad to hear the surgery went well, I was just catching up as I was pretty much offline the past week except a few minutes here and there so I totally missed the whole ankle and MIL story. You guys did have a rough week. glad today went smoothly. Hoping he heals really fast!!!!!!!

Tesscorm

Staff member
These percocets are a dream! :D He has only very little pain! Was actually getting worried that the nerve block wasn't wearing off! :lol: But S says it definitely has.

Who needs wine with these at home?!?!? :rof:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Fabulous to hear Tess! :dusty:

Oh and I will be there ASAP! Since it will take me while to get there you damn well better save some for me! :ybiggrin:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks for asking, FW! :) He is doing amazingly well! I know the percocets clearly helped but, even still, I can't believe how little pain/discomfort he's had! And, no side effects from percocets either!

He goes for his first follow up on Thursday and, if all goes as scheduled, he should be able to start going without the sling during the days by Sept. 7 (will still need to use sling at night and when he goes somewhere where his arm might get bumped). -- like all of frosh week! :yfaint: ... :lol:

Of course, now he'll have to put in the effort and discipline to stick with the physio schedule. He's promised he will so, hopefully, once it's feeling better, he won't starting thinking 'oh, I can skip it this week...' :eek:

Maya142

Staff member
So glad to hear that!! That makes me feel better (just in case M needs a labral tear repair for her hip). Any tips or things you wished you knew going into this?

Tesscorm

Staff member
Beware when sending your kids to a Canadian university! :lol:

Frosh Week - Google's definition: Student orientation or new student orientation (often encapsulated into an Orientation week, Frosh Week, Welcome Week or Freshers' Week) is a period of time at the beginning of the academic year at a university or other tertiary institution during which a variety of events are held to orient and welcome new students.

The 'real' definition: The most radical and exciting week of a (Canadian) college freshman's life. There's a lot of drinking, partying, and optional clothing along with some lukewarm beverages and awkward pretentious flirting. American's generally fall under extreme jealousy over their school's lack of FROSH WEEK. Schools ranked with the best frosh week usually include Queens, Mcgill, and UBC. It's the ideal way to kick off college.

(I was sort of kidding with my comment above re Frosh week but... it does worry me a bit with his shoulder! :yfaint: It was actually becoming a real problem in some cities and laws/regulations were put in place banning or limiting certain events! The more dangerous stunts have ended?? but the huge parties, drinking, etc. still happen.)

Maya - I have no idea why it was so easy for S?!?!? He really hasn't had a tough time and we didn't do 'anything' other than take percocets! He probably took more than I would've liked - he started taking 2 percs every four (or six??) hours before the nerve block wore off and then continued every 4 hours (even getting up at night to stay on schedule). I tried to get him to try 1 instead of 2 pills but he didn't want the pain to 'start' (they'd told him it would take a while for them to work if he let them wear out). Probably by the 3rd day(??), he started to cut out the overnight pills and then started to cut down to 1 instead of 2 pills during the day. As he had no side effects from the percocets (ie no constipation, no nausea, no headaches), it was hard to convince him not to go with the max dose for the first few days. He's been off them for a few days now and, other than a general achiness or twinge, he's fine.

He barely even iced it! I bought bags of peas, a large ice pack, etc... had everything ready to go.. and, I think he iced it three times??

The only other thing he did was follow the doctors instruction to the letter as far as not moving his shoulder and wearing the sling...

(Given their dire warnings of severe pain, I swear I've wondered if they did the wrong surgery! :lol:)

Last edited:
I figured as much Tessa about frosh week but was holding out hope it meant hardcore studying in the library or some such nonsense . :rof:

Hey a mama can hope right.:blush:

Maya142

Staff member
Glad he did so well! It depends on the dose of Percocet -- I'm assuming it was a pretty low dose, so two pills may not actually be a lot. But I'm very glad he's off it and hope he can protect his shoulder next week ;). He is very smart to stay ahead of the pain -- that's what you're supposed to do usually.

Beware when sending your kids to a Canadian university! :lol:

Frosh Week - Google's definition: Student orientation or new student orientation (often encapsulated into an Orientation week, Frosh Week, Welcome Week or Freshers' Week) is a period of time at the beginning of the academic year at a university or other tertiary institution during which a variety of events are held to orient and welcome new students.

The 'real' definition: The most radical and exciting week of a (Canadian) college freshman's life. There's a lot of drinking, partying, and optional clothing along with some lukewarm beverages and awkward pretentious flirting. American's generally fall under extreme jealousy over their school's lack of FROSH WEEK. Schools ranked with the best frosh week usually include Queens, Mcgill, and UBC. It's the ideal way to kick off college.
Taking Canadian schools off DS' college lists... ;)

my little penguin

Staff member
Oh American colleges have the same just called pledging any fraternity or sorority or well any college freshman on campus for most of the first year ;)
So not just a week at any college
More like a 4-7 year plan :)

Maya142

Staff member
Plus, most schools have an orientation week which is a LOT of partying...It's called different things - Welcome Week, Orientation Week etc.

So we basically need to keep our kids in a bubble, at home, to keep them safe!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Not about crohns nor even his shoulder... (both of which are well), but I'm updating on his ankle! :yfaint:

Seriously, I hadn't hurt a peep from him re any issue with his ankle since August and, suddenly, he call me now to say there might be a problem! WTH, it's been two months!!! And, I remembered someone (xmdmom) had questioned the slash causing a sprain so came back to read what was said (this is why I document! memories fade! )

Anyway, he just called to say he thinks he maybe has nerve damage! (Btw, have no idea how he determined this dx.) He says his foot (not just ankle) still hurts and his toes feel numb! Said it feels like they're curling under, even when they're not??? He thinks it's related to the slash because it's sort of been a transition from the initial pain to this and it's only on the one foot. Ugh!

At this point, and since he's already waited so long, I suggested he wait until he comes home Nov 11 (remi) and have it checked that day. In the meantine, as he's still going to physio for his shoulder, I suggested he ask his therapist if he has any thoughts...

Here we go... something else for him to deal with. :(

Maya142

Staff member
The numbness does sound like a nerve issue -- but I hope not nerve damage!! I think asking his physical therapist is a good way to start, but I suspect he will need to see another orthopedist.

Maybe S needs to play a less violent sport ;)?! Sending hugs -- it's hard to always have something health related to deal with.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Seriously!! I couldn't agree more re the hockey... :( I wish he'd loved soccer or basketball or baseball or something less physical (although, my daughter had her share of soccer injuries too :ack:). Different topic but I just don't get why, in hockey, there's always that higher tolerance for hitting, slashing, etc. :ywow: Won't get into that now! :lol:

And, yes, the numbness does sound nerve related. :( But, do you think it would be an orthopedist?? Actually, my first thought had been to email his shoulder surgeon (orthopedic surgeon) but, then, thinking about it, I thought orthos deal with bones, muscles, tendons, etc.... would that include nerves?

Maya142

Staff member
Hmmm...good question. My guess was that since it's probably an injury, that an orthopedist/orthopedic surgeon would treat it. I would at least email his orthopedic surgeon (since you have one!) and go from there. He will be able to tell you if you need to see someone else.

Sometimes orthopedic surgeons specialize in a particular joint or two (such as hips and knees), so he may send you somewhere else anyway.

We definitely had our share of soccer injuries too :yrolleyes: - maybe we should just keep them in bubbles?

Tesscorm

Staff member
Ok, won't hurt to send his surgeon an email... :)

And, yes, when he played contact hockey (imagine!, he's now playing 'non-contact'), I would see kids leaving school, happily carrying their violins on the way to a recital and think 'why didn't I think of that!' :ybatty: Ugh! From the time my kids were 9 or 10, one was playing contact hockey and the other competitive horse jumping (plus soccer)... I was one stressed mom! :lol: I dreaded watching the game/event but was terrified to not go in case something happened!

my little penguin

Staff member
Also call the gi
The sooner the better
Remicade can cause Neuro issues which results in weird numbness
And tingling or numbness needs evaluated
Ds had to have neuro work up with his including brain MRI
Since he was on remicade
Everything was fine but ...
When remicade is involved they tend to be through

Good luck
Hope it's just minor injury

Maya142

Staff member
Considering he got hurt and it's been bothering him since then, it's probably an injury -- but MLP is absolutely right - you should let his GI know.

I didn't even think about that, but it's better to be safe since he is on Remicade.

my little penguin

Staff member
Woth the brain and nerves I don't assume anything
As Maya said given his injury probably that
But given remicade his gi should know
Just in case

I was going to say the same thing as MLP to let the GI Doctor know. I would also make an appt with the orthopedic guy as well. Hope it is something simple to fix!

crohnsinct

Do you have sports medicine docs up there in the tundra? They are orthopedists but just not surgeons. They are pretty well versed with issues of injuries and nerves.

With all of O's hip issues over the last year, I have learned a lot about injuries and nerves etc. The foot is actually one of the most popular places to get nerve issues following an injury. It could be as simple as things swelling up inside and putting pressure on the nerves, I think they call it nerve entrapment. An orthopedist would be able to examine the foot and tell him more of what is going on. Perhaps the surgeon knows one that could do a full workup?

I really hope it isn't Remicade.

Tesscorm

Staff member
S's physiotherapist does believe the numbness/tingling is peripheral neuropathy caused by trauma. Said the foot 'pain' is being caused by muscle tightness, likely still from the injury, and that can be treated with physio. But, the numbness/tingling likely can't be treated. As S has some sensation, therapist said feeling may still come back but only time will tell. :(

S said the numbness doesn't bother him to walk, run, etc., more the pain (which can be fixed), so he's not really worried. I'm a bit more because I'm thinking it can cause problems in the future...

Haven't heard back from ortho yet but, I don't think it falls under his specialty anyway. Will email GI now (was just waiting to see if anything came of the ortho email).

Does anyone disagree with therapist in that the numbness can't be treated?? Should I be following up in some other way? It's a bit of a hassle to see S's GP - S is out of town so hard to schedule, then will lead to possible tests, then another apptmt to discuss results, then a referral and the process starts again with specialist... S hates all the hassle and I know it'll be hard for me to convince him to start that process when it's something that's not bothering him too much. But, if there's a possibility that it can be treated (or can worsen), I'll push him...

Maya142

Staff member
They sometimes use antidepressants (Effexor, Cymbalta, Elavil) and anti-convulsants (Lyrica, Gabapentin) for peripheral neuropathy, if it gets uncomfortable or painful.

I would still see a specialist -- I don't know what the right one would be though. Maybe a neurologist? Or Sports Medicine?

I would definitely also continue with PT for the muscle tightness.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks Maya.

yes, I will try to convince him to follow-up. I'll see what GI says - will help if he wants it followed up (altho I can already see the rolling eyes when I tell S I emailed the GI! :lol:).

The physio he'll do... he's already going for his shoulder, easy enough for him to extend the same apptmt and add in some foot work. :)

Tesscorm

Staff member
I've sent an email to GI, told him the situation and specifically asked about any concern/complication between possible peripheral neuropathy (even if trauma induced) and remicade...

Ortho replied - recommended some ankle/foot orthos that S should see. But, am going to wait to see GI's reply before going to one of these orthos.

IDK if it ever sounds like I'm trying to avoid or find some way around seeing a doctor, but that's really not my intent! Ugh, it's so much more difficult when they're out of town! It'll be so much easier when he's done school next year (of course, then we'll be dealing with a work schedule... :ybatty:) Specialists are always on rigid schedules and not very flexible, S is always on a rigid class schedule and two hours away... it just becomes so complicated and, on top of it, first I have to convince him that it's even best to get things checked! :ywow: Not that I blame him... I think a neuro is one of the few remaining specialists he hasn't already seen in the last year or two! (Haven't even told him about his cardiologist follow-up in December! :ack:)

Maya142

Staff member
Tess, it is SO hard. I find my younger kiddo missing school constantly for appts with specialists. We have told her health is her priority and she won't be able to go to school at all if she's isn't well but missing class so often is hard.

It's so much harder in college than in high school, even with accommodating professors.

There's no good solution unfortunately :(.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks Kim. He still drinks 1-2 Boosts per day but not sure if or how much vit B is there?? I'll check...

Maya - true... there really is no easy solution. Of course, health is first but so hard when it begins to affect school or work. But, there is no choice... :(

As S doesn't have a long relationship with his GP, I may switch him to mine or another in the same clinic. As it's downtown, it's minutes from my office, so easy to go at lunch... Doesn't help him now, at school, or with specialists but will help a bit when he begins working...

my little penguin

Staff member
Tess you make a very good point about school
Definitely nudging ds to go to one of the many universities that are 10 minutes of his specialists so class and doc appt in the same day ;)
There are least 5 that I can think of off hand
Unless something drastically changes
Hope you can get him seeen by neuro soon
Any school breaks in dec ?
Neuro typically is not a get in quick appt here at least 2-3 month wait is the norm

Tesscorm

Staff member
It's a bit of a balancing act with school... as Jacqui mentioned in her thread, you don't necessarily want crohns to be the deciding factor in choosing a school, on the other hand, it is, unfortunately, a factor that needs to be considered. :( S's school distance, at 2 hours, does complicate things but is still manageable most of the time. Too much further and it would become very difficult. But, if they have their own car, that would help a bit... As S does not have his own car, for us it usually means driving out there to pick him up, come to apptmt, drive him back and then return... (sometimes he can take a bus/train on one of the ways). The time we spend isn't so much the issue, as it is the time missed from classes... the more travel time, the more class missed. One thing that helps is, whenever posssible, S schedules as many classes into one day as possible. Means he usually ends up with 2 or more days (or half days) free - helps a bit in scheduling. (Downside is when specialist has no flexibility and apptmt is on one of the 'full' class days... :()

As for December, he will have a break but, as it's Christmas, I won't hold my breath that we'll be able to fit it a specialist apptmt so neatly! :lol: (And, as it was booked almost a year ago, I already have his cardio follow-up scheduled then...)

I'm waiting to hear back from GI but don't think he's in the clinic on Fridays... so unlikely today.

I'll probably see S this weekend... he has the beginnings of bronchitis again (had it often last year and it's starting again! :( ). He's not happy about THAT on Halloween weekend. But, told him I'd go, take him some chicken soup (mom's gotta do it! :lol:) and some 'heathy' groceries. He's already done the abx and is using a puffer... Hoping we can nip it in the bud.

Speaking of the bronchitis... Carolinalaska, CIC... you guys know about essential oils... I have eucalyptus oil at home and I was told it can help with respiratory issues. Do you think it would help him if he uses it? I was told he should inhale/sniff it??

Maya142

Staff member
Once they're 17 or 18, very hard to convince them they need to be practical and stay close to their doctors ;)!

We got lucky - both my girls are 1-1.5 hours away but even with them relatively close, traveling time does add up and like Tess said, they have to miss a lot of class. And certain specialists only see patients on certain days so of course that makes things more difficult.

Ideally we should have switched all their specialists to the city they're in but they both have 10 specialists and it is so hard to switch from a doctor you know and trust.

Tess, really sorry to hear poor S is getting sick :(!! Poor kiddo.

Tess,
He should take a separate B complex. The one I like is from a company called Jarrow. They make high quality supplements. I buy it on Amazon.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Do you know if the vit B can still be beneficial if the peripheral neuropathy is caused by injury? In his case, it wasn't caused by a deficiency, remicade side effect or illness, so wud adding a supplement help? Or are you saying the vit B might have 'healing properties' type benefits?? (Does my question make sense? :lol:)

crohnsinct

we use oil of wild oregano for respiratory issues. Two drops under the tongue. GI approved!

Now stop all this college distance talk nonsense! O is looking only at schools at least a three hour plane ride away! A few are in the boonies and at least an hour away from any major area. Never mind the hours it would take me to get to an airport on my end! Her closest college is an 8 hour drive away with no way to get there by plane or train!

Haha. Sounds like my kid is really trying to get away from me😱