• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swallowing a Pill Cam -- Tips & Suggestions?

I am scheduled to have a pill cam endoscopy on August 2nd, but I have the worst time swallowing pills. I am finally comfortable swallowing Advil, Ibuprofen, and those Target-brand Vitamin D-sized pills with water, but anything larger will only go down with 1.5 or 2 tablespoons of applesauce (For example, I've been taking a probiotic that comes in capsule-pill form since February, but no matter HOW many times I try, they just will not go down unless I take them with a little bit of applesauce.

I was thinking I would buy some vitamin pills and practice with those. But if worse comes to worse, what happens if I can't swallow the pill cam? I've heard that the pill can be placed via an endoscopy? How does this work exactly?

How do you all swallow large capsule pills? (I tried taking my probiotic with sprite as Scipio suggested in an earlier post (thank you!) but it did little for me, unfortunately. I do think that my pill aversion is mostly a mental thing--how might I get around this?

Finally, might I be allowed to swallow the pill cam with that 1.5 or 2 tablespoons of applesauce? Or will that obscure its imaging ability?

Thank you all!

Have you mentioned this problem with your doctor? Maybe the anesthesiologist could give you something to help you relax and that would help.

I am scheduled to have a pill cam endoscopy on August 2nd, but I have the worst time swallowing pills. I am finally comfortable swallowing Advil, Ibuprofen, and those Target-brand Vitamin D-sized pills with water, but anything larger will only go down with 1.5 or 2 tablespoons of applesauce (For example, I've been taking a probiotic that comes in capsule-pill form since February, but no matter HOW many times I try, they just will not go down unless I take them with a little bit of applesauce.

I was thinking I would buy some vitamin pills and practice with those. But if worse comes to worse, what happens if I can't swallow the pill cam? I've heard that the pill can be placed via an endoscopy? How does this work exactly?

How do you all swallow large capsule pills? (I tried taking my probiotic with sprite as Scipio suggested in an earlier post (thank you!) but it did little for me, unfortunately. I do think that my pill aversion is mostly a mental thing--how might I get around this?

Finally, might I be allowed to swallow the pill cam with that 1.5 or 2 tablespoons of applesauce? Or will that obscure its imaging ability?

Thank you all!
Just out of curiosity, have you ever been treated for dysphagia? You may have a problem swallowing because of nerve problems or, for some people, it can be caused by anxiety (fear of choking). I would suggest discussing it with your GI doc to see what he/she says. Good luck to you.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dysphagia/basics/definition/con-20033444

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds had and upper and lower scope for his crohns
When they were doing the upper scope they placed the pill cam
But .....
One it was scheduled that way
And two they have a hard time getting the duodendum to stay open to place the camera after they are done looking for the upper endoscopy

Have you tried the oral flo cup ???
Ds was taught at age 7 to swallowed pills ( right after the dx )

I agree that you should talk to doctor ahead of time. I thought the cam was going to be a lot bigger than what it was and was pretty nervous going in. (But I don't have any problems with pills -- just pointing it out in case others are worried). I do remember that they did say I could have a small amount or tea and bread 3-4 hours into the process, but nothing before that. So I doubt the applesauce trick would work.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I am finally comfortable swallowing Advil, Ibuprofen

Good Day GYRB,
I just wanted to remind good folks suffering that...
anti-inflammatory meds like that are contraindicated for those with inflammatory bowel disease.
A drug that sounds so-helpful, is actually harmful due to increased risk of gastric bleeding, etc.

good luck in your search for better answers,
peace
w

ps
many of us struggle with this problem
you are not alone
: D

Good Day GYRB,
I just wanted to remind good folks suffering that...
anti-inflammatory meds like that are contraindicated for those with inflammatory bowel disease.
A drug that sounds so-helpful, is actually harmful due to increased risk of gastric bleeding, etc.

good luck in your search for better answers,
peace
w

ps
many of us struggle with this problem
you are not alone
: D
Hi there! I rarely take ibuprofen/other NSAIDS. I think that the last time was this past June -- I took two pills to relieve a four-day tension headache. I can't remember when I might have taken them before then). I was just using ibuprofen/Advil as a pill-size example.

But thank you for this reminder and for your support. Means a lot!

Just a note - I did the patency capsule to see if the camera would go through. The patency capsule got stuck. A little uncomfortable, but it dissolved in about 4 days. My insurance doesn't cover the patency capsule ($100), but well worth it to not have the camera stuck. Good luck!!!