• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swelling around stoma

swelling around stoma

Hi guys would just like to know if it is normal to have swelling around the top of the stoma where the bag sticks on, dont think have had it before but not sure!

hi Christie... is it the stoma that's swollen or the skin around the base of the stoma?

if it's the actual stoma, it could be that the appliance you had on before you changed it wasn't fitting properly, and the apperture was sitting on the stoma rather than around it's base... or it could be something that needs showing to your doctor if this isn't the cause..

if it's the skin, then that's quite common if it has become sore from the output leaking just inside the apperture. if the skin's swollen, but not sore, again i'd show a doctor asap.

Another thing to think about would be a hernia. But I think that would be more of a lump, not just a swelling. And I think it would be tender to pressure. I never had one, so I don't know for sure. If this is a noticable change all of a sudden, I would have a doctor check it out.

Let us now how it turns out.

thanks guys am seeing my doc in the morning and will let him know as it is above the stoma and does seem to be more of a lump x

Terriernut

Christie, I'm curious to see what your Dr says. Mine which is apparently a hernia is a big lump. I hope yours isnt a hernia, but maybe just an irritation that is easily corrected. Good luck and let us know!
Misty