• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swelling in my shins? Anyone know?

Today as I was leaving work I noticed my shins were really starting to hurt and feel swollen. Within minutes of standing on my feet, all of a sudden they started to hurt really bad, it seriously felt like someone hit me in both my shins with a crowbar.

I haven't experienced pains in my shins for a very long time, but do remember being told it may be a symptom of Crohn's. Does this happen to anyone else? I also have Ankylosing Spondylitis but I don't think its that because usually that just affects my joints. I tried looking this up on google and had no luck finding out why my shins are hurting so bad.

Anyone else have this happen?

Chad, This happens to me too! Sometimes just the fabric from my pants touching them makes me want to scream! Doc can't explain it either. I feel your pain!
Debbie

Yes, I've heard that it is connected to Crohn's - do you ever notice any rash or texturing on your shins as well? I experience the rash in the heat of a flare up, with some pain. It's comforting to know that it is connected to this condition and not a whole other problem. If it gets worse though, definitely tell your GI.

Have you been on steroids a lot, and for a long periods of time? I know a woman who has Crohn's, and she says that she was told that due to high dosages of steroids through out the years, a toll had been taken on her knees, and she now has had both knee caps replaced. I've read that the steroids can do serious damage to your bones and joints. I don't know how much truth there is to this, as the doctors that I've asked say that they don't really know either, but it might be something worth looking into?
Hope I've been of some help.

Thank you all for your replies! I am glad to know I am not the only person experiencing this. Its been several days now, and my shins are still feeling swollen and in pain when I walk around for a short period of time. I will bring it up to one of the doctors on my next visit. I have been tapering off Prednisone. I was on 20mg a day when I left the hospital, then I went down to 10mg and now I am just taking 5mg. I have been taking Prednisone since early this year on and off. Hopefully this is only temporary and isn't causing damage.

I have had a condition related to Crohn's known as Arimathea Nodosum on my shins on and off for several years. At first parts got swollen, then a red rash would form in spots with dark bruising around it. As the rash expanded the flesh inside the ring sunk and the skin became very brittle. It went away once my Crohn's was diagnosed and treated.

Hope you find out what is bothering your legs and what to do about it soon.

I have something similar, that was diagnosed as psoriasis. Scaly red rash spot on shin. Swells up when it gets bad.

I am quite sure it is misdiagnosed, but it is Crohn's related, as i did not have it before I had bad Crohn's symptoms. Sounds real similar to what Kenny has.

I am experimenting with getting rid of it, and it is getting better, but not sure of the direct cause.

Dan

I have Erythema Nodosum too. Large inflamed lumps come up on my shins which then go back and forward between being red, angry and aching and being sunken and bruised looking. Mine come on for weeks at a time and then disappear again. I find they appear when I'm flaring and then go again when things settle down.