• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swiching Remicade to Humira due to Psoriasis

Diagnosed in May '13, caught before surgery needed. Tried three different drugs with disasterous results, and landed on Remicade, which works wonders for my CD. But around Christmas I started breaking out in a goose-bump-like rash that got worse with next treatment, THEN bad psoriasis after following treatment, which a biopsy proved was medication-induced. At least tummy is fine through all this. Now switching to Humira. Have heard good things. Not too happy about the shots but maybe better than being stuck in hospital for a day with an IV. Definitely don't want to live with psoriasis if I don't have to. Worried about other options if this doesn't work. Feeling like end of rope is near. Anyone switch from Remicade to Humira due to Psoriasis & have good results? Dermatologist and Gastro Docs are positive this is the right move. Can't go back to Remicade once stopping. Great news is, I started doing zumba, and love it! Great to be able to be active and feeling well in the tummy through this. Feeling blessed.

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. IF and I do say IF Humira doesn't work well for you, you are DEFINITELY not at the end of the rope! There are plenty of other treatments and more in the pipeline. So don't give up hope!

We're here for you :)

Thank you so much David. Now to cope with Humira shots...if anyone can share how to make them less painful I'd love to hear. I'm squeamish about shots in the stomach so I've tried all over my thig@hs but it really hurts!

Tesscorm

Staff member
I believe you can request lidocaine be added to your humira prescription and this can lessen the pain of the shots. Ask your GI about this, I have read from other members that it was quite helpful.

Good luck!

Honey

Staff member
Hi there and welcome,
I did the switch the other way: Humira injections, which had limited success then Remicade infusions. I am currently well. We are all individuals in our illness so what works for me may not work for you.
To make your injection easier, do it on the tummy. I am not going to explain this well but hope you understand. I was taught to do this by the charge nurse.
Take a fold of skin on your tummy, down from your belly button, right or left. Hold this flab[ sorry about description ] between your fingers and inject quickly into top part of folded skin. It nips a little for a couple of seconds, as this is the meds going into the system - nothing to worry about!
You can change the site each day but you will do so naturally as you will not remember the exact site from yesterday.
Hope this helps, if any questions just ask. Best wishes.
:rosette1::welcome::rosette1:

Thanks so much for your care and support. Will try the tummy since so many have said it's less painful. Used Lidocaine and think it's really the meds that hurt, not the surface shot as much. Hopeful!!!

Tesscorm

Staff member
KittenMama, what I've read is that the lidocaine is prescribed and mixed with the humira in the syringe, I think it helps the pain as the serum is injected. But, this is just what I've read, I don't have any experience with Humira... I'll tag MLP because I'm sure she has done this with her son...

I have ti wait for the results of some tests but I may be switching from Stelara to Humira. Cimzia only worked for a little while. I had a rare side effect from the Remicade. Stelara doesn't seem yo be doing anything.