• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swimming with anal fistula?

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts on this? I always wear a panty liner to catch the drainage, but I don't feel comfortable going without one to swim. I even have a dark skirt style bathing suit, but I would just as soon stay out of the water just in case. Our friends have a pool and people constantly ask me why I am not swimming. How does everyone else deal with this uncomfortable situation?

nogutsnoglory

I am sorry but I would not risk swimming. You have an open wound, drainage is not my concern but infection is. You are open and susceptible to getting an abscess. I know pools are treated but there is still tons floating in there.

I used to just say I just had a surgical procedure and can't risk infection yet. Or just say that I had an open wound and I can't risk getting it infected. Depends I guess on how open you are about talking to people about it and if they even know you have Crohn's. Half the time I would just flat out say "my ass hurts so I don't wanna" and that usually did the trick.