• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Switching from humira to stelera

Hey everyone! I am new here. Hope you’re all good.

So I have been on humira for over 10 years, but due to my last scans I’ve been advised to switch to stelera. I switch in a few weeks, but have been told in the meantime to stop my current meds. I am feeling VERY crappy, tired, sore, all the usual awful crohn’s symptoms. Do I just have to wait this out until I start stelera? and what if I do wait, then stelera doesn’t take effect for weeks, maybe months, so I feel this awful for that long. I guess, I’m just after some advice please of anybody who has been through something similar? And what I should expect from starting stelera?

Oh and also, when I start stelera….am I going to be knocked off my feet for any amount of time?

Thanks so much.

There can be a spike of inflammation (higher than your baseline Crohn's) after stopping biologics as your immune system goes back to normal function and either has some buildup of things to deal with or simply overshoots. I've seen it last for a couple of weeks.

Stelara can start taking effect within a couple of weeks, although some people say it takes much longer for them.

Usually the initial Stelara dose doesn't really make people feel bad the next day.

There can be a spike of inflammation (higher than your baseline Crohn's) after stopping biologics as your immune system goes back to normal function and either has some buildup of things to deal with or simply overshoots. I've seen it last for a couple of weeks.

Stelara can start taking effect within a couple of weeks, although some people say it takes much longer for them.

Usually the initial Stelara dose doesn't really make people feel bad the next day.
Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate it. I really don’t know too much about this right now!

Lynda Lynda

I qualified for Stelara assistance for 2022 but will no longer qualify in 2023 as JJPAF is only assisting eligible uninsured people. Good Luck.

I qualified for Stelara assistance for 2022 but will no longer qualify in 2023 as JJPAF is only assisting eligible uninsured people. Good Luck.
Thank you! Oh that’s such a shame. I am in the UK so I am covered for stelera, I’m just hoping it works!

Aaahs

Aaahs
I'll tag @my little penguin whose son is on Stelara.
Does anyone know of a group on this Crohn’s site that’s related to Stelera and/or biologics as treatment for Crohn’s? I’m too unfamiliar with this forum to understand how to find specific groups. I can’t even find how to change my email address or password (it’s been several years since I participated here). Thanks for any help! Aaahs