• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Switching TNF Meds....

My doc has had me on Humira for the past year. Was taking the injection once every two weeks and recently moved it up to once a week. I still have problems from time to time and my doc said that was unacceptable. So, next week I have my first Remicade infusion, along with Imuran taken daily. Anyone else every switch from Humira to Remicade? I thought it was supposed to work the other way around. I guess I could have started with Remicade first but, my doc gave me the choice. I just thought it would be so much easier to give myself the injection at home vs going in for the infusion...

From what My Doc told me when we discussed going from Remi to Hum, Remi can be a better choice as it allows for a varying dose based on weight and severity of symptoms and allows the doctor to tailor the medication to your specific needs (the reason I stayed on Remi). To me it makes sense that you go from Hum to Remi since the Hum is a one size fits all, so that when/if it does not work you can move to Remi and get a better/higher dose based on your specifcs. Good luck on your infusion - at least you won't have to stick yourself anymore!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
ME! ME!!!
I took Humira, and it worked VERY well, but only for 4 1/2 months, and then it quit working. My insurance company wouldn't approve a double dose, so I started Remicade with Imuran in November 2008. I quit imuran about a year (maybe less?) into it, and I am still on Remi. I am enjoying a WONDERFUL remission right now, and I hope it lasts for many more years.

It does stink that you have to take time off of work, but it only ends up being 6 times a year, and if you can use 1/2 days that's not bad. I schedule my infusion at 1 pm, and work until lunch. I remember that KatieSue scheduled hers on Saturdays and didn't have to miss work at all at that time.

Check out the "Remicade Club" thread to read about everyone's experiences.

I hope you have good luck with it!

I just switched from Remicade to Humira. Humira MAY be working after a few weeks (knock on wood). My stools are a little better, albeit they are still loose. I am also tapering off the Pred, currently at 15 mg.