• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Switching to an out-of-town doctor, how do you arrange infusion options?

Hello, I hope you are all well! I have posted a few times about being frustrated lately with difficulty getting assistance from my doctor with my current pain. I finally decided to go to the nearest university hospital with a dedicated IBD center for only Crohn's and UC patients. I am optimistic about their ideas and am likely going to transfer my care. This doctor is a little over an hour away. I am only concerned about where I will get my infusions now if I leave my current doctor, who does them in the office. Does anyone have advice for arranging infusions elsewhere when your doctor is far away, or how does one go about home infusions? Do many insurances cover that? Thank you so much for your insights!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Some insurance companies do allow for home infusions, you should check with your to see what the policy is. Most university hospitals should have an infusion clinic or apheresis clinic (which is where mine are done)......

I travel about an hour to my infusion clinic, but I'm also lucky enough to work in the same city where my doctor/clinic is so I'm usually able to go straight from work (then home after).

The insurance company required my son to switch to home infusions (Remicade) a few years ago. If you go to a doctor an hour away, s/he should be able to arrange infusions at your home or at a location reasonably close to you, unless you are in a very rural area.

For home infusions, your doctor would write the prescription and send it to an infusion company that your insurance approves. Sometimes there’s a choice and other times not. My son has used Nufactor and Option care for home infusions and both were very good. These companies provide medication, supplies and nurses.