• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swollen and Painful Ankle

Wondering if anyone else out there has had swelling and bad pain in their ankles associated with Crohns? I had erythema nodosum in my ankles before, but my symptoms now seem to be a little different. I dont have the red noduals, but my ankle is red all over and my foot and ankle are swollen twice the normal size. I am waiting to see my Rhuemy, but need to stop googling becuase I am getting a bit freaked out. My current meds are Methotrexate and Cipro/Flagyl. Waiting for Cimzia insurance approval. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks all!!!

Beth

David

Co-Founder
Hi Beth,

Ugh, that must be miserable, I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. :(

In my opinion, if you haven't had any sort of trauma to the area and it is red and swollen to TWICE its normal size, you need to be seen by a doctor. Today.

I'm not trying to freak you out, it's just better to be safe in situations like these :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey, I saw that you are on Cipro...it is a major side effect is achilles tendon and it depends on how long you have been on it. As David points out, check it out with your doctor, they may help you more.

Thanks! I got an appointment for this afternoon. I hope the Rheumatologist is the right doctor. I am on Cipro, but the swelling started before that. I pray it is nothing serious, and can be easily fixed. It does not feel good to walk around on this ankle! I will check back in and let you know what I find out.

Beth