• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Symptoms better when pregnant

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
No - not me!
(Okay, phew - got THAT out of the way!)

I was reading that one of our new members felt so much better while she was pregnant.
So I was thinking - don't birth control pills kind of make your body think you are pregnant so you don't ovulate? Could birth control pills then help to make your symptoms better? Especially the ones where you only get your period 4 times a year?
I'm sure if there was somthing to that, GIs would already suggest it - but I was just wondering if anybody has a take on that.

I'm currently on the Nuvaring and have been since a couple months before diagnosis (but after beginning of symptoms). I do know I feel like shitola times 453 when I am on my period.

I always felt fantastic while I was pregnant, but while on birth control pills I was actually alot worse. When I stopped the pills I felt better, but I never tried the pills that only gave you four periods a year. I think for some people that it could possibly help them.

i was going to try that and saw the gyno about it and everything but then too much else happened and i just never got to it.
it seems like i was sent into flare when i got my period in the fall of my sophmore year. i crashed at the exact same time, so thats what was behind the idea of going on birth control.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hmmm

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the "pill" can aggravate IBD/Crohns. And also recall being told too...

I know it can aggravate my Hidradenitis which is a skin condition I have as my Derms consultant told me.

I have an Implanon implant in the inside of my upper left arm. It lasts for 3yrs and releases the hormones into my bloodstream via absorption through the tissues. I was warey of using something that I would have to absorb as I wasnt sure how reliable it would be given the Crohns and IBS aspects.

Drawbacks are that it can cause heavy bleeding for up to 12mths and the hope is that you at best cease periods all together or only have very very light ones for a couple of days.

I am due for review in the next couple of weeks and on the "Prevention" aspect its worked well for me and allowed me to not worry. On the periods aspect it hasnt worked as above and I now need gynae review I think - groan.

Hate the thought of yet more tests etc etc...

Anyway, thats my tuppence/cents worth LOL

C

carolemartin

Hcg??

I have been doing a lot of research on HCG, and I am wondering if any of you has tried HCG to alleviate your Crohn's? It is the hormone that shows up on PG tests to say you are PG. It would make sense to me that if BCP doesn't work that HCG would. I haven't been able to find any research supporting my theory of the affects of Crohn's and HCG, but if it can help, why not try it? Your doctor can prescribe this, which makes me wonder why my doctor hasn't prescribed this KNOWING it is the hormone we produce when we are PG, and that I felt my best PG! :confused2: Confuses me. Seems damn obvious. Pub Med doesn't have any info on it, all it has is PG makes you feel better. I want to know WHY? What hormone is it that makes me feel better, and if we haven't tried this yet... WHY NOT? Anyway, anyone try this? Please let me know if you did, how you felt. Thanks so much.

PS You can google pounds and inches or Dr. Simmeons if you want to see what I have found on HCG. Looks like it helps with IBS

For me - my symptoms only got REALLY bad after I stopped taking the pill. Which was about 3 years after I started it. Docs said it might have something to do with it, as it would have changed my hormone levels and such. I think it's different for everyone though. Stress I still believe has the most effect on the crohns.

My Butt Hurts said:
No - not me!
(Okay, phew - got THAT out of the way!)

I was reading that one of our new members felt so much better while she was pregnant.
So I was thinking - don't birth control pills kind of make your body think you are pregnant so you don't ovulate? Could birth control pills then help to make your symptoms better? Especially the ones where you only get your period 4 times a year?
I'm sure if there was somthing to that, GIs would already suggest it - but I was just wondering if anybody has a take on that.
MBH, I'm playing devils advacate here.... could it be the "Eurphoria" of being pregnant that helps these Ladies. I know that a blooming mother-to-be always seems the picture of health, could being pregnant be a placebo on the mind. Hence why the pill doesn't work this way?

It said that when you get pregnant if your crohns is active it will be worse. If not active you will have very few problems. My crohn's has never been in remission for more than 2 weeks at a time. Lucky for me I hit the window when I got pregnant. The thing with the birth control I don't think so. My doctor and gyno both told me I did not need to be on the pill and have crohns because I become less effect when you have a flare. I told them I had been on the pill for going on 4 years and had the same boyfriend during that time and never had even a scare of being pregnant still they took me off of it. After I had my child it got pretty bad but I have yet to go back on BC because we have been talking of having another one sometime with in the next year. My little girl is 19 months. Currently I am on no medication from a doctor, I take super acia berry splash from GNC and when something does come up I take imodium. Was taking everyday now down to once a week. :)