• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Symptoms of an approaching serious Crohn's flare-up

Number and Frequency of Flares

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Everyone - I'm new to this forum. I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2012. It began with intermittent abdominal cramps, then an increased urge to urinate and frequent bowel movements. Ended up in ER wherein I underwent several CT scans, colonoscopies, X-Rays and then developed gastroparises which had me making weekly trips to the ER and being admitted for IV therapy and TPN for days at a time for my inability to eat (this lasted for approximately 4-5 months). I'm now in remission for approximately 1 year - thank GOD! Does anyone know how long remission lasts (from your experience only)? What has been your experience with remission duration and time to flare-up? Does anyone have any specific signs (besides diarrhea) of an approaching flare-up (i.e, non gastro related symptoms)? Just interested in hearing YOUR experience. Thanks!:ghug:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi genesis and welcome to the forum! :D

Some people go into remission for a few months up to several years and even decades before they experience another flare. It varies from person to person. My longest remission thus far was 14 years after my resection. I continued on medication during that time so I could stay in remission. Are you on any medication right now?

Common signs of a relapse for many people including myself are an increase in joint pain and fatigue. Contact your GI if you experience either of these so they can run some tests to find the cause before things get worse.

Hello, is joint pain and fatigue a sign of a flare? Im constantly having both, but my tests comes back fine... now I am confused. Was diagnosed almost 1 year ago, but have been ill for 6.5 years

Krika, joint pain can be an EIM(extra intestinal manifestation) of Crohn's disease. It can run concurrently or independent of active disease activity of CD. Fatigue is also fairly common in those who have not reached deep, stable remission and have some level of inflammation occurring.

If the treatment is working, then the periods between flares can be years. My longest was ten years. More recently it tends to be about five years. A flare for me is pain, increasing diarrhoea, and tiredness.

Thank you all for your reply. Can you still have symptoms while in remission? For example, I fatigue, intermittent stomach pains (very mild). Also, is blood and mucus in stool normal for someone in remission (still not as severe as when I had the flare)? Can you still have mild symptoms while in remission?

I cant answer this poll. Since I have been diagnosed I have never been in "remission". Some days I feel great, can eat anything and no pain but other days I cant get feeling good no matter what.

I would say I average about 50/50 throughout the year. I've never gone longer than a week of no pain. I've never had a solid poop - except twice while pregnant.

BUT I've never been hospitalized for my Crohn's either.

At this point, 15 years in, I would almost prefer to be able to answer any of those poll questions as true. I would love to have periods of remission longer than 3 days. I'm starting to get depressed after so many years of being sick.