• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Symptoms

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease almost a year ago. I was just wondering if anyone ever gets a burning sensation down their left side. It starts about 5 or 6 inches under my arm and goes all the way to my waist. I really don't know if it's from CD or not, I'm just guessing it is. It's really noticeable when I eat. Also, when I drink something, I feel like there's a hole under my left breast and I can feel the liquid burn there as it goes down. That usually only happens the first few times I take a drink when I first wake up. After that, I don't notice it as much.

Since my diagnosis, I feel like I'm falling apart. (It could be that I'm 45...lol). But seriously, I've always been athletic and lately, I just don't seem to have it in me.

Anyway, anyone else have these symptoms?

Thanks.....

Hi Kimmiekay, and welcome to the forum.

somewhere in here, i have posted about a weird symptom i get in my left side, seems to radiate from just under my ribs - i've never figured out what it is, but it's been suggested it may be adhesions, or an inflammation of the diaphragm muscles.

have you had any investigations in this area? could be an acid/ulcer type of thing...

Hi dingbag,

Thanks for replying. I do have a hiatal hernia also. Maybe that's the cause of it. It's just like you said though, it seems to radiate from just under the ribs. It's not excruciating or anything, just very annoying and uncomfortable. Honestly, I wasn't sure if it was from the Crohn's or not. I'm so bad about asking questions when I go to the doctor. I seem to forget everything when I get there. I'm planning on asking him about it at my next appointment. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on it before then.

Thanks again.

Kimmie-don't feel bad about feeling run down. I have felt the same way ever since I was diagnosed. I feel like the smallest things exhaust me now and I'm only 28!!! I swear this disease ages you. I really feel like it takes a tremendous toll on the body.

Maybe try writing down everything you want to talk to the doctor about and take that paper with you. You might feel silly reading them off the paper, but you'll feel much better when you leave the dr. office.

Thanks teeny. Writing my questions down is a good idea. I'm going to do that. It's weird but as soon as I step in that doctor's office, my mind goes blank. I might even be feeling bad before I get there and the minute I'm there, that goes away too. I think I'm just nervous (I hate going to the doctor) therefore, that feeling overtakes everything else.

i do that too sometimes, write a list for the doc. i think, that because Crohns can cause so many knock-on and weird effects in us, we often have more than one concern to tell the doctor - but unless we remember each one, we end up just discussing the main issues, not the little niggly ones.

lol so many times i've said "yep, will ask the doc about that".. then come out and kick myself because i forgot something. lists are wonderful things :D

Kimmiekay said:
ME TOO!!! Why the heck is that anyway?
same reason your tooth stops hurting when you get in the dentist's chair, or your kid's alarming rash disappears in the doctor's waiting room... :ylol2: