• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Syringe for methotrexate

syringe for methotrexate

hey guys,

does anyone know the length and gauge of syringes I need to get for methotrexate? the pharmacists an idiot and "Sub-q syringe" wasn't enough for him.

Thanks
Sam

PsychoJane

I think mine are 27G X 1/2". I'm really not an expert in syringe to be honest but if I remember right your's will be a bit bigger than the ones I got. Just keep in mind you can ask for 27G x 1/2". I don't know if it will make a difference but it's good to know for the next time you order them :)

I use a 27 1/2 gauge, 1/2" needle with a 3 cc syringe. I find the larger syringe is easier to handle rather than a smaller 1cc syringe.

Michelle

Thanks guys! They didnt have 27 so I got 29 1/2 and successfully injected for the first time. I'm afraid nausea is going to kick in sometime soon here... :( did you get nausea?

KWalker

I have really small needles from when I had Methotrexate that I just keep forgetting to take back so they can dispose of. I got nausea at first, but for me my problem was the bad headaches it gave me. I think it was the medicine that put me where I am today with not needing medicine though and I think it was one of the best I've been on with effectiveness-side effects.

How much do you take? is it weekly?

Samantha,
Did you doctor tell you to take folic acid every day? I take 1mg/day at that seems to help with nausea, and if I forget to take it for a few days - my body lets me know!!! I find the day after my injection I am wiped out, but, I'm told that side effect will subside over time.

29 1/2 is a nice fine needle, that should have been a breeze - lol

Michelle

I take 25mg/week. KWalker, I hope this medicine has the same effect with me! I too, failed remicade and humira. So that gives me hope. My doc seemed to think that this medicine would be futile, but I insisted.

Michelle W, he didn't say anything about folic acid but I'm going to get the hubby to pick some up right away, thanks for the tip! The injection was so easy, I had a mini panic attack because I'd only ever used injection pens before, but this was way less painful.

My son gets nausea also. He is taking folic acid every night except night of injection. We have started taking a zofran the day of injection to help with the nausea. Works wonders!