• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Systems for dealing with life and fatigue

I am working on reorganizing how I do things in my life to include systems to deal with constantly being sick and/or tired. I'm finding it hard to work full time, keep the house clean, eat healthy, spend time with friends and my hubby, etc. I thought others might like to share what has or has not worked for them. The first few things I'm trying:

• Doing all my grocery shopping one day a week. This one has been very successful for me and my hubby. I know that if I get sick mid week (as we usually shop on Sunday), I will still have food.
  • Do my laundry on Sunday too. This one is still up for debate as I never have the energy to put it away! My clothes live in the clean basket until I wear them or get a moment to put them away. I did just clean out a drawer so that I don't have to hang up my shirts, which is extra energy. Maybe if I do the washing on Saturday and the putting away on Sunday...
  • Put my pills out in a week's container over the weekend. This one is great since I take so many supplements.

Other ideas?

Wish I had any tips to offer, struggling with these exact issues daily. Would like to hear others' suggestions, though!

make some soup one day, then when cool, split up in several containers and freeze. Make some other foods in crockpot, split up in several containers when cool and freeze. Idea to keep small sized containers in freezer you can pull out when you are ill. Can be kept for months in freezer. Do each week and you will have a good inventory for sick days!

I will run dishwasher before bed and put away dishes in morning. I will also run dryer before bed and put away clothes in morning.

Take a nap during the day when you know you need it! It's usually far better than trying to carry on - you feel so much better afterwards.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I don't have a set system, but I do try to get chores done when I'm feeling okay. I never try to put things off if I feel well enough to do it now, because I just don't know if I'll be feeling up to doing things tomorrow. I used to be a huge procrastinator but not anymore!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I also prepare a week or two worth of food and freeze it so I don't have to worry about cooking.

I make a large jug of ginger tea for the fridge to help ease my stomach

I try to take at least a 15min nap each day if I can find time and a location.

Spend 5-10min each day picking up after myself in one room. Each day I choose a different room.

Place a "tool" bag containing of all of your medications, painkillers and other IBD "necessities" in a handy location the bathroom for easy access. I keep extra stock of these things (where possible) so I don't risk running out when I am too sick to go to the store and buy more.

Dishes are the hardest things for me to clean as I do not have a dishwasher. I also hate putting laundry away lol.