• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Taken off Pantasa cause of side effect

Hi I had a question maybe you all could help, I was on Pantasa for a week and have bad headaches and stomach pains and my Dr. told me to stop taking it but told me to start Asacol , is this the same medicine and will it cause the same side effects? I am worried I will be having the same side effects.
Thanks
Kathy

Just Diaganoised with Crohns

Astra

Hiya Kathy
and welcome

In my opinion 1 week isn't really enough time to work. Remember that all meds have side effects in the beginning until your body adjusts. Headaches and belly aches are common side effects, I remember it well when I started Pentasa. Side effects will go quite quickly once the med gets going.
Both of these meds are 5 ASAs, so yeah maybe you will have the same side effects.
Btw, Pentasa has been my life saver over the past 6 years, try to give it one more chance.
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

I also am on Pentasa...I am recently diagnosed w..Crohns.....However, I am taking 500 mg ...2 capsules 3x per day...really has helped my Crohn's symptoms, but it makes me feel slightly loopy and as if I am moving in slow motion......Have only been on the meds 4 days... This is the first med my Dr has tried me on...Also feel somewhat emotional...
Common side effects? I have taken antidepressant for years...

thanks

I took Pentasa and another variant called Balsalazide last year, and I reacted similar to the OP, same symptoms, but it got to a point where the pain in my belly, chest and back became unbearable, and had to go to hospital each time for them.

The second time I had to get the drug pumped out of me (yep it was that bad!) I developed bad acid reflux and had to be prescribed Lansoprazole for 2 months to fix it.

If the pain persists after a 2 week period at most, I would get off them and get your doc to try something other than a 5-ASA drug. There are side-effects with a lot of these drugs, and you should try to persist where you can, but don't suffer as one drug that will be great for a person may not necessarily work for another. Good luck!