• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Taking 6MP after bad liver tests on Aza

Hi everyone
Wondered if you can help?
I had to stop Aza after 3 weeks due to my liver function tests being raised even though I think it was maybe starting to calm my bowels down. I also had severe headaches, stiff neck and nausea.
I am keen to try 6MP before any other med but wonder whether this will also affect my liver (as the Aza did).
Has anyone been in the same situation as me and if so, what happened?
Thanks 😎

I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't try 6MP after failing Aza, i'm certain i've read about many people who have done the same.

Hi there which liver function test was out? Was it your gammagt? I've been on 6mp 6 weeks and mine our out but my consultant assures me it's fine!

Just to add I was on azathioprine for 10years with no problem, stopped it for a year and it made me sick as a dog when I tried to restart it.

My son stopped Aza after week 6 because his liver function went through the roof. We are now on week 4 mercaptopurine and doing well. Our GI says most people he has dealt with manage to take the 6mp even after they failed Aza. Worth giving it a shot, just make sure they do the blood tests every week to start with.

Hello Bigtruck
Yes - it is the gamma-glutamyl that was high but it is coming down now I have stopped the Aza. I think once my liver has gone back to normal I will give the 6MP a go.
Thanks for your comments. 😎