• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Taking Flagyl & Cipro for perianal abscess: Allergic to Cipro, still take?

So I have a perianal abscess which was drained yesterday. the dr put me on Cipro and flagyl. Strangely, Cipro gives me these ulcerative rashes and itches and once again, this happened. If I just take Flagyl, is that enough or if I cut out Cipro am I really killing my chances of preventing a fistula or recovery from the abscess?

dont take cipro for a long period of time- it causes ruptures of achillies tendon. i know, i am wearing a cast. was on cipro for a year, but gi forgot to tell me or was not aware

ameslouise

I wouldn't stop taking it without discussing with your doc. Why did they even put you on it if you are allergic???

BTW, Cipro and Levaquin are in the same class and both can cause tendon issues/ruptures.

Talk to your doc. Let them know what is going on so they can tell you what to do. An abscess is not something to mess around with, nor is allergic reaction.