• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Taking Humira after antibiotics

Hi all

I am just wondering what everyone has been told about how long after finishing a course of antibiotics should you take your Humira? I have always been told that I should wait 14 days after finishing the course of antibiotics to take my next dose. This is pretty crap as it means I miss a months worth of medication as I am usually put on a two weeks course of antibiotics (I suffer regularly from tonsillitis) and then have to wait an extra 14 days after finishing the course, to then take my Humira :(. Google isn’t providing me good enough answers so I’m hoping here is better.
Thanks 👌🏻
Hi. I would consult with your doctor. I could be wrong but I would be concerned that waiting that long could affect how effective tour treatment from the Humira is.

my little penguin

Staff member
Never was told that for ds when he was on humira for 5 years
Only no humira with fever
And no humira for 24-48 of starting abcy
Never stayed off that long
He was on shot every 5 days st the end of humira s

Only stopped long for surgery to heal
Im on remicade infusions, and know they are similar in how they work to block a specific immune antibody that causes inflammation. I have my infusions at the hospital and fill in a questionnaire with reguards to having an infection/antibiotics/temperature within the past 7 days i have stated yes several times in the past, sometimes finishing my antibiotics a couple of days before and i have still been allowed my infusion. They check my temperature and that before it. I will add i found if the infection is still there it will be 10x worse after the infusion-that has happened to me a few times and it is nasty. But I know if i miss a couple of weeks i flare real badly. Its a fine balance I don't always get right still. It's whats the better of two evils. Please consult your Doctor/specialst and tell him any concerns you may have.