• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tapering off Imuran

Hi All:

I have had Crohn's since 2004. I have been on prednizone which was terrible and was then put salofalk, then on imuran in 2007. Can anyone tell me if it is dangerous to suddenly go off imuran?

Hi Coach
And a big warm welcome to the forum. I believe in a best case scenario it's recommended to taper off it. But there are cases where people have to come off it without a taper because of a reaction to it or because of forthcoming surgery. I was taken off it in hospital because they decided I needed surgery and stopped it the day before the op with no ill effects.
Have you decided to come off it or is it your doctors wanting you to stop it?

Angrybird

Hi Coach and welcome to the forum :)

I too was wondering about why you are potentially coming off the Imuran? I myself have been on this twice and both times had to come off it without a taper due to side effects I was getting and this didn't cause any problems.

AB
xx

No reason. I find that i am always tired. I am feeling good now. Just checking to see if the crohn's will come back. I am afraid of cancer, as everyone is. Has anyone heard of cancer on this medication. I know the chances are slim.

I would strongly recommend that you stay on the Imuran if it is helping your Crohn's symptoms and you are not experiencing bad side effects. The risk of cancer from Imuran is very slow. However, you could start flaring and having more inflammation. There is a link between active inflammation and cancer so it is better to keep the Crohn's under control. As for being tired, I agree with Angrybird. You should get your blood count checked. Perhaps you need more iron or B12 but you should first find out through a blood test.

I believe that the risks of cancer are really more significant for people who take immunosuppressants after transplantation to avoid organ rejection, as they are taking much higher doses of the drugs.

1. Talk to your doctor about this.

2. I quit imuran suddenly because it gave me pancratitis! No imuran, no pancreatitis. But if your Crohn's is being controlled by the imuran and you are not being harmed by side effects, there is no good reason to go off it. You could end up having a flare.

Kev

I was taken off it cold turkey after a bad reaction, but it was by doctors orders (ER Docs) which was confirmed within 2 days by my GI.

However, I wouldn't just discontinue a med prescribed for your Crohns if a doctor hasn't ordered it. Crohns is no disease to toy with, and changing/discontinuing meds without a doctor advising you to is very risky.