• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Temp. Ileostomy to heal fistulas -it worked!

I had ileostomy for 1 1/2 years -Ileostomy is a stoma constructed by bringing the end or loop of small intestine out onto the surface. My rectum fistula was infected and drain setons and antibiotics no longer worked. At the same time I started Stelara injections and take 100 mg Imuran. All my problems in the rectum went away and fistula healed. I had a reversal Feb 20 of this year. The surgery was 90 min and I was in a hospital for 5 days. Stoma nurse showed me the basics of changing the bag in the hospital, then a home visiting nurse worked with me for about one week at home. It takes a while to find what type of bag and all the parts that go with it to find out what worked for me. There is soo many types of bags and styles.My problem was the heat ( I live in Fl)- tape would not stick and I had few issues with my skin until i found what worked. For some people having stoma saved their life's, it is certainly helped me to heal. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.